Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:15:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTiny Puppy RPG
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Tiny Puppy RPG  (Read 14936 times)
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:44:25 PM »

PLAY RECOMPILED VERSION OF ORIGINAL BUILD

Controls:

Arrows - Move
Space - Interact
Mashing A, S, D Keys - Bark, bow-wow, growl during battles

Spoilers: If you can't find the bone you probably need to check the door next to the pink dress lady.

*Now with all new graphic errors!  I didn't save the source, and this is from a not great version that has some bugs with wrong sprites being used in some places.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 11:15:53 PM by J. R. Hill » Logged

hi
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 06:24:28 AM »

Devlog Day 1

They are all around me...

They flicker between the shadows in the corners of my eyes.

They think they are hidden but I know better.  What they're planning is beyond me, perhaps they think they can sneak up on me.  Perhaps they can, only time will tell.

I'm definitely outnumbered but my strength will hold out long enough for me to take many of them out.  In theory that is, I've yet to see one leave the shadow, but I can tell by their agitation that they intend exactly that...

P.S. Extended the spritesheets and added more objects and artwork in general.

hi
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 06:25:55 AM »

I'll have to play this tonight. :D

fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 07:37:31 AM »

This is freaking adorable. Although, I have to say I don't understand the battles at all. Right now I just randomly mash the A,S, and D keys until I win. Looking forward to how this progresses Smiley

Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 07:57:28 AM »

This is freaking adorable. Although, I have to say I don't understand the battles at all. Right now I just randomly mash the A,S, and D keys until I win. Looking forward to how this progresses Smiley

Yeah, I tend to do that too... I think maybe it visibly needs to show the different attacks and acts a little more turn-based or something? I just mash keys hoping to do the most damage before the other guy does, and that doesn't really require any strategy at all Tongue

Ant
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 01:48:35 AM »

I think the random button mashing works really well for a short game like this. If the world was expanded then I think you'd be better of with more depth in the combat, such as learning special button combinations that must be mastered and are only revealed as you level up or visit special dog trainers.

It could be quite nice if there was more of an exploration type angle to it as well, such as finding lost stuff for the humans which then allows you to progress through the map. This could work quite nicely with your scent system.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 01:45:57 AM »

Devlog Day 3

A lot has happened in these past few days.  The shadow creatures attacked, or at least I think they did...  Several bit into my elbow and forearm before I passed out, luckily my new companion (I'm not sure of his name, he's a mute) must have seen my signal and rescued me.  I awoke in a fairly large room on this small sea vessel, bound by the feet.

I'm not sure how to gain the trust of the man who brings me food, or if he's the only one on this ship.  (Or if this is even a ship, the rocking I feel may just be dizziness from blood loss)  I feared sometimes that the next person I met would be a cannibal, like the Richardsons had become before I had to...

I suppose if the tables were turned I'd do the same, tying him up, I mean.  It's harder than I thought to trust the first person I've seen in 8 months.

P.S. Started to map out the new game world. boink

hi
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 02:18:31 AM »

Game world is looking interesting, though I do very much not like those trees, are they placeholders?

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 02:24:52 AM »

Yeah, not really sure how I want to do trees yet, just wanted to boundary off that area.

hi
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 02:40:23 AM »

Ah, no worries then. The puppy's animations are bloody adorable btw.

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 03:45:04 AM »

So when this becomes the runaway hit it's going to become and you need some help with the hd graphics for the Xbox release gimme a pm!

It is imperative that this game gets made for you see
I'm a dog person.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 03:46:11 AM »

Shocked

Yeah definitely you're hired in the future.

hi
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 03:48:15 AM »

I might just nix the trees at the starting house altogether and just make it a small island.

hi
yesfish
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 06:30:23 AM »

I had fun. But I couldn't find the bone @.@
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 06:35:48 AM »

I added a spoiler cause lol it's not obvious.

hi
yesfish
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 07:19:28 AM »

Ahh I see. I think the interact code needs to be updated. I kept running at the object in question hammering all the buttons and I couldn't get it to work. But stopping infront of it then pressing A does work. The player should be able to walk against something and use spacebar
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 08:51:08 PM »

Working on adding more music, still only using marimba + shakers.

hi
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 05:18:57 AM »

I realy had fun playing the game, but like it was mentioned already, battle system is a bit weird. If you don't make it turn based then at least make it go slower. And it would be nice that one of those attack could be "buff" up or something - like:
roar = buffs you up
bite = attack
bark = lower enemy attack

I'm sure you have a plans already but just a small suggestion Smiley Keep it on, I can't wait to play more of it

KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 10:45:45 AM »

Dogs roar....?  Crazy

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 02:48:30 PM »

He's a tiny puppy.