Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411573 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 01:50:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Spirit of Independent Gaming
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Author Topic: The Spirit of Independent Gaming  (Read 61452 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2008, 02:48:59 PM »

http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?t=13105

TIGSource is mentioned in that thread a bit as a bastion of the indie spirit that has drained out of indiegamer.com.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: March 18, 2008, 02:28:31 PM »

Those forums are full of crazies!
I always thought the front-pagers were the crazy ones Shocked.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: March 18, 2008, 02:42:39 PM »

That's true, now that I think about it. Must be a symptom of allowing anonymous comments without accounts.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: March 18, 2008, 03:13:04 PM »

Those forums are full of crazies!
I always thought the front-pagers were the crazy ones Shocked.

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!"

It's strange - it's been a while since we've really discussed the Indie Gamer Forums and their very different culture.  I think it's because we've been having so much fun here it's hard to stop and look back.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: March 18, 2008, 03:30:06 PM »

What's that quote from? For some reason I'm inclined to guess Margaret Atwood...

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Zaphos
« Reply #145 on: March 18, 2008, 03:34:36 PM »

What's that quote from? For some reason I'm inclined to guess Margaret Atwood...
Jack Kerouac?
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: March 18, 2008, 04:03:53 PM »

It's Kerouac. Smiley
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2008, 10:52:22 AM »

I think it's because we've been having so much fun here it's hard to stop and look back.

Look back?  I'm pretty sure I was born here.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2008, 02:23:52 AM »

And what a manbaby you were!  There was a light shining down on you from above, and you had a glowing ">_" symbol behind your head. Wink
Corpus
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2008, 06:24:54 AM »

So was TIGSource originally an offshoot of the Indiegamer community?

I'm a native tiger and I've never been to Indiegamer, but I frequently hear the same sort of thing that rinku said.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2008, 06:29:51 AM »

I came here first as well. I took a brief visit over there and there was too much knife fights and business. I ran back here, crying.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2008, 06:42:25 AM »

So was TIGSource originally an offshoot of the Indiegamer community?

Heavens no. Shocked

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2008, 07:19:34 AM »

Well maybe... I seem to remember it starting after fost (of moonpod) quit the indiegamer forums. (after posting a rant there about how it sucked)

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2008, 07:53:30 AM »

Indiegamer was a great ressource and very interesting for the business side, but recently things started becoming stupid, they ended up being populated mostly by portal drones and the portal/casual propaganda became the official line of thought, and the same group of casual creators (with good quality games I reckon)  giving each other pats on the back and endless autocongratulations everytime they released their zuma or MCF clone, and then they started giving each other badges to distinguish those whose words were more important than others (the cloners and those with connections for the most part), and then there was the appearance of a handful of divas, generally good devellopers or people with interesting conversation who, for some unknown reason, started develloping either a giant ego or some sort of bitterness over the current state of affairs and starting polluting most threads with their obsessive rants...

Indiegamer is still a very interesting place and worth lurking if yoou intend to enter the business, but the community isn't very interesting anymore.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2008, 04:35:36 PM »

TIGSource didn't have anything to do with Indie Gamer except for the fact that Jordan announced the site there and some guy gave him crap for being critical of the games (i.e. doing honest reviews). Tongue
frosty
Level 1

ice cold & refreshing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2008, 06:57:36 PM »

I think IndieGamer, and the Dexterity forums before it, were always about how to sell games and reach that holy grail of going full-time indie.  Except, while Steve Pavlina originally shared all of his techniques on how he did it, the others that succeeded after him tended to stop posting, I think mainly because of the cloners.

Maybe once a month there's an interesting thread, but never really about game design.  That was true since the beginning, I think.  I used to honestly wonder how some of those shoddy shareware games from 2000-2001 sold anything. This is the first forum that I've encountered with people who genuinely appreciate computer game design as an artform.

Regarding the "autocongratulations" thing, that never actually bothered me.  We all know how hard it is to complete a project, and it's nice to have someplace where your peers can give you a pat on the back, at least.  The badges are kinda silly, though.

Just my 3c
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 10:38:08 PM by frosty » Logged

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2008, 07:22:14 AM »

TIGSource didn't have anything to do with Indie Gamer except for the fact that Jordan announced the site there and some guy gave him crap for being critical of the games (i.e. doing honest reviews). Tongue

I don't know what thread I read on indiegamer but what made me post here was precisely because of people getting "yelled at" because they gave creators honest comments (which is what I intended to do). So I came here and felt like the people were a bit more open minded (which they were Smiley). 

Chris P
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: March 23, 2008, 11:45:07 PM »

and then they started giving each other badges to distinguish those whose words were more important than others (the cloners and those with connections for the most part)

Hey now. You're entitled to rant (everyone is entitled to a rant every now and then Wink), but that's a little unfair. Anyone with a commercially released game can ask for (by PMing a moderator) and receive a badge, along with access to the private discussion area. Uploading a game somewhere and charging money for it is sufficient. That's exactly what I did.

I think the badge idea was a good one, just poorly rolled out to begin with. The people qualified to talk about running an indie game business... oh man, the phrase "indie game business" depresses me, but anyways... if you're going to be talking about that kind of stuff, it's nice to be able to tell at a glance who has real-world experience.

I really don't see the harm in congratulating people on completing their goals. Say what you like, making a top-selling casual portal game is hard. I may shudder uncontrollably at the thought of doing it myself, but that doesn't mean I can't respect the skill and determination of the people who set themselves that goal and achieved it. And hey, not all of them are sell-outs. Tongue

I've found Indiegamer useful for business-related discussions.

Having said all that... it's true, I wouldn't go there to discuss game design. And if you're allergic to casual games then you should probably avoid certain threads. And yes, the place is rather newbie-unfriendly and sterile and profit-oriented...

...Remind me again why I lurk here and post there?...

Anyway, before I started convincing myself into agreeing with you, my point was going to be: There's space in the intertubes for both websites. Why can't we all just get along? Kiss

MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 20, 2008, 08:13:36 PM »

If you clone  Cave Story , sick panda dies.
 Beer!Cool to create games that even  Gentleman will approve of!

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: August 20, 2008, 09:03:34 PM »

One part of my wants to love indiegamer.com, the money hungry / I want to make games for a living part of me, not sure if thats a good thing or not, I think its kinda unavoidable though, im assuming most people posting on Tigs who are at the age where your paying rent/mortgage/bills etc, have at least considered making games for a living, and indiegamer.com has alot more members that treat game development as a job rather than a hobby, and can be good help at making games for a living more real, purely on a business level.

I cant say much for the actual gamedev talk over there, its like another language to me...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic