Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 04:23:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOne Upon Light - A photophobic, monochromatic top-down puzzler
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: One Upon Light - A photophobic, monochromatic top-down puzzler  (Read 4913 times)
SyDaemon
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2013, 10:11:07 PM »

You wake up in an old, crumbling complex to the aftermath of a major experiment gone wrong and realise that light itself has become lethal to the touch. Manipulate the environment to forge your own path of shadows to avoid contact with light in order to rediscover the secrets of the experiment, your past, and perhaps even yourself.

We are currently planning an early 2014 release. If you like what you see here, please follow us on our social networks to get updates!

Platform: Windows/Mac

Click picture to view trailer.

Playable Demo Coming Soon!
WebsiteFacebookTwitterGoogle+

Staring forlornly into the darkness, you contemplate your fate and attempt to recall your past.
That humble lab crate will become your best shield against the light with the solid shadows it can cast.
It's also one of the objects you've found yourself strong enough to push around.
Glass walls, previous excellent for offering a safe way to view experiments from an adjacent room,
now offer no protection from the light.
Someone else survived this whole mess!
He offers a reminder of the experimental ability to perform a "Shadow Echo" -
freezing a shadow in place regardless of the position of the object that cast it.
That's no doubt going to be extremely useful.

Shadow Echo in action. The patch of shadow is as safe as any other shadow cast by the environment.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 11:46:51 PM by SyDaemon » Logged

I am from SUTD Game Lab
We are developing One Upon Light
Check us out on Facebook and Twitter
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 03:53:11 AM »

Looks cool! Also, where is IGF China held? Shanghai?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
SyDaemon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 04:48:17 PM »

Thanks! Yeah, it was in Shanghai.  Smiley

I am from SUTD Game Lab
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »

Looks like a cool mechanic.
DarkPixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 10:44:07 PM »

Looks awesome. Good job. Any info about the tech behind the game?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 01:53:33 AM by DarkPixel » Logged
SyDaemon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 11:01:51 PM »

The game was made using the Unity Engine. We've wanted to make the way shadows are cast as realistic as possible and decided that going 3D would be easier than trying to fake something using 2D. It certainly got us started with playing around with the light themed mechanics much faster, but we paid the price in terms of the minimum specs the game would require. The number of lights and the use of dynamic shadows in the game certainly meant that old laptops wouldn't be able to run it.  Tongue

I am from SUTD Game Lab
0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 11:27:55 PM »

Shadow Echo... Oh my, it sounds so-o-o cool. No No NOHand Metal Right

Visuals are great. Can't wait for demo to try it out. Smiley

pottering
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 11:41:36 PM »

Looks really cool.
Kinda like Limbo mixed with Stealth Bastard.
SyDaemon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 01:00:20 AM »

Here's a closer look at the Shadow Echo.

Upon holding the button to activate it, time slows to better let you time when you want the echo to be cast. The object upon which the Shadow Echo will act on will also be indicated as seen.

This allows you to create "islands" of shadows in large areas bathed in light to act as a bridge or as safe spots.

Looks really cool.
Kinda like Limbo mixed with Stealth Bastard.
Thanks! Yeah, both those games were inspiring for us. Smiley

I am from SUTD Game Lab
0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 04:25:27 AM »

Here's a closer look at the Shadow Echo.
So-o-o delicious. My Word!

SyDaemon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 12:17:45 AM »

Been doing nothing but trying to crank out new levels for the past weeks. The going has been slow because of how much work is needed in each and every level. Here's a gif to give you guys a sense of how each level progresses.

Click for larger res.

Each level starts out as a boxy and crude but playable representation of the environment to make sure the lighting and puzzles work and makes sense. This means the level has to be rigged with our own triggering system, camera switching zones, auto-save zones and what not. Our artist then goes nuts on hand crafting the entire environment while keeping the puzzle elements intact. It's a process of love that takes us anywhere between 1 to 2 weeks.  Epileptic

We've so far got about 70% of our intended number of levels. More to come!

I am from SUTD Game Lab
SyDaemon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 10:12:48 PM »

It seems like forever since I've last posted any updates.

We've been adding in levels at the speed of ponderous creativity (not very fast) and making enhancements all over the game, including level tweaks, UI, animations, audio and visual feedback.

Here's an old peek (I've shared this on our social pages before) at our dynamic background. It updates itself according to which level your last session stopped at. We hope this helps to reinforce the sense of a journey every time the player loads up the game from a past session.

The animation for casting a Shadow Echo has also been updated. Previously, the Scientist invoked it with an outstretched arm, like casting a spell. Now, he activates a wrist-worn device. The overlay tutorial for it has also been given a new look. You can compare this gif with the one 3 posts up.

Here are some more shots of the game! Click for a larger version.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 03:35:32 AM by SyDaemon » Logged

I am from SUTD Game Lab
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 07:23:29 AM »

looks really fun, but i dont think ill be able to play it for too long knowing how i hate games that have like nobody in them since it just makes me feel like their all dead ._>

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
SyDaemon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 06:15:17 PM »

looks really fun, but i dont think ill be able to play it for too long knowing how i hate games that have like nobody in them since it just makes me feel like their all dead ._>

That cracked me up.  Cheesy They do give off that kind of vibe, don't they? Being alone is still better than being in a place full of zombies though, if you ask me.  Tongue

Still, if you look at the animated gif, you can see another white haired scientist at the bottom, so you're not alone!

I am from SUTD Game Lab
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 12:48:58 PM »

Wah, really cool progression since last time!  Gentleman

Love the HUD (I know it doesn't seem important that does remain an important finishing touch for the overall experience :p)

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
SyDaemon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 02:13:23 AM »

Good grief I suck at replying on time! So very sorry!

It's funny you've mentioned the HUD, because we're striving to simply not have any at all.

Check out this little sequence:

Please forgive the speed and the jumpiness of it.

What is does show are a few stuff we needed visual feedback for.

Switch to target indication
The white blips pulse from the switch to the object its acting on, in this case a block that moves from left to right.

Glowing switch
The switch itself glows with a white outline to indicate itself as an interact-able object.

Glowing switch to target indication
The "line" that blips pulse when the switch is flipped to indicate an effect.

Switch active meter
There's a meter integrated right into the switch body to show the "progress" of its activation, during which it serves as a cool down to prevent switch spamming.

We're hoping these things would help preserve our goal of having a clean HUD.

Also, before I forget again. Happy Holidays to everyone!

I am from SUTD Game Lab
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic