Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 09:25:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesTeam Up for the Bootleg Demake Compo
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Team Up for the Bootleg Demake Compo  (Read 31116 times)
Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2008, 01:55:40 PM »

Yeah, that would be fine and dandy too, but i guess it depends on the proyect/original  Gentleman
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2008, 06:41:53 AM »

I still wouldn't mind a bit of help with the 3D modeling (mainly the figures, I have a list) and music-making (also have a list) for my game, Lethe's Yarn.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2008, 12:58:45 PM »

Who would donate some chiptunes for a last minute, super-crappy AudioSurf demake? Grin Doesn't need to be done specifically for this, any preexisting stuff would do.

(I'm actually pretty surprised nobody has tried this yet.)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2008, 01:07:21 PM »

Who would donate some chiptunes for a last minute, super-crappy AudioSurf demake? Grin Doesn't need to be done specifically for this, any preexisting stuff would do.

If I knew how to code with information read from music files I'd be all over this right now.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2008, 01:24:57 PM »

If I knew how to code with information read from music files I'd be all over this right now.

Doing some FFT stuff wouldn't be too hard, but with the very limited time left I'd probably fake it and just generate a hash from the music file which is then fed to the random number generator for generating the levels. This way you'd get the same level every time for a given song. You could also feed it some hardcoded information like speed per song. From the videos I've seen on YouTube of AudioSurf, it doesn't seem to match the level that closely to the beat or anything either.

Also I've never played AS (crashes when I run the demo Angry) so I'd have to come up with my own rules :D I'd still like to make it (probably in Gameboy style) if I have time, and if some people donate music. I could use my procedural music generator, but that probably isn't far along enough to be really usable here.
increpare
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2008, 01:57:22 PM »

Doing some FFT stuff wouldn't be too hard, but with the very limited time left I'd probably fake it and just generate a hash from the music file which is then fed to the random number generator for generating the levels. This way you'd get the same level every time for a given song. You could also feed it some hardcoded information like speed per song. From the videos I've seen on YouTube of AudioSurf, it doesn't seem to match the level that closely to the beat or anything either.

I think there are some music libraries that have beat-detection. Alternatively you could look for some tracker library with handles you can attach to certain events (or, heaven forbid, use Direct Music, that does all that and a lot more...though might take a while to learn.

There seems to be a processing library that looks like it might be rather easy to use, and might be fun to make a small game in (processing is actually pretty nice for stuff like that).
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2008, 02:47:19 PM »

I just got the demo to work on Win2k via same black hackery magic, and I have to take the following statement back:

From the videos I've seen on YouTube of AudioSurf, it doesn't seem to match the level that closely to the beat or anything either.

I just played an Opeth song (The Moor) with it. It has a quiet, acoustic intro, and AS matches that with a slow uphill ride. If you have listened to the song as often as I have, you know that it then goes abruptly into a heavily distorted death metal section, and you actually see that coming in AS because at that instant the track goes into a steep descent, and there's a kind of tunnel too. The moment when I went over that hump and speeding down the track, like a rollercoaster, with Opeth suddenly blasting out of the speakers, was for some reason one of the most visceral gaming moments I've had in quite a while. I even got slight nausea out of this ride, FWIW, and I'm usually not very sensitive to that kind of stuff.

I just might have to buy the full version (that game was just made to play Opeth songs with it, what with their alternating quiet acoustic and heavy rocking segments).
Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2008, 06:51:04 PM »

Damn this, im going solo then!  Cool
Mr.moo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2008, 01:54:27 AM »

oracle what do you need i am some what skilled in GM and have graphics background (ish)....wait your doing aquarium my bad....

DO THE R.O.B!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic