Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411592 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 07:49:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesTeam Up for the Bootleg Demake Compo
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Team Up for the Bootleg Demake Compo  (Read 31117 times)
Graham Lexie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 09:25:16 AM »

Going on Melly's comment, this sounds like a great opportunity for parody games. Ohboyohboyohboy.  :D

* General Nuke-Them
* Toadder
* Jane of the Rainforest
* Porthole
* Suicidal Rodent Rescue
* Where On The Globe is Cameron Sanfrancisco?

I might be too busy next month, though. :S However, if I'm not, then I will use this idea: Mechanical Demake. Yes, I will port an existing game to a machine that consists of levers, springs, wires, cogs, steam power, and other pre-electronic technology. However, I'm no Leonardo da Vinci, so the machine will only be a computerised representation of the mechanical interface. So I won't have to worry about the actual physics of how it works, but I'll do my best to make its inner workings visible (without being too distracting). Sprites moving around on sticks, mechanical noise sound effects, varnished wood & brass, et cetera. I'll do it in Flash. (If I have time.)

The "cheap" thing about this is that basically ANY computer game can be ported to this interface and it's still a demake. So while the rest of you are slaving over a hot keyboard trying to program Half Life for the Commodore 64, I'll be making Pong or Minesweeper.  Cool
Actually I'll probably try something a little more fun to play.

Normally I wouldn't reveal my intentions like this but as I said I doubt I will have time, so I won't be outraged if anyone takes this idea and uses it as well. I think it'd be quite a lark!  Gentleman

I was thinking somebody should do a demake for Babbage's difference engine. Maybe you should do that =D
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 01:21:55 PM »

lets demake halo 3 into marathon.

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 02:51:59 PM »

Ah, I've been waiting for this! I'll happily do music for anyone who needs some stuff. I really like the idea of retro-fying a piece of modern game music. I've already got a number of NES VSTis, but I'm sure I can find one for most computer sound chips (Actually, I might make a post of my findings closer to the time), so I can work with any platform you wish to emulate.

I'm also QA by profession, so I'll be happy to find bugs and give design feedback, should you need it.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 01:18:23 AM »

Gentleman But if you think about it, aren't ALL games demakes? Demakes of that wonderful operating system that we call "reality".

*puffs pipe philosophically*

*gets booted out of the clubhouse*
 Tired
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 01:42:23 AM by TooMuchSpareTime » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 03:09:30 AM »

I think I will do the BaronCid thing for this compo and demake a game into playing cards/dice/etc. I'll try to be really annoying and force players to do stupid things, i.e. to represent the physics engine of Crysis, you have to stack up cardboard boxes and throw baseballs at them. For each cardboard box you knock over, a Korean dies.

Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 03:26:31 AM »

what I intended to try was a roleplaying/tactics-battle game inspired by Oblivion/Fallout...
with a reference book and chess figs/board.
It should be more accesible than my previous games.

And since this is a demake compo I'd probably demake some game 1:1 (well, not everything but maybe the first parts)

Still, I don't really want to do that now, for the compo. I discovered that many people don't like this kind of games. They are often understood as "jokes".
Well, Super Mario vs. Programming in China was actually intended to be a joke to far extent. Faith to a certain Degree wasn't a joke anymore but still had self-ironic features. (Well, it also failed a bit because it was poorly balanced. Thanks to anyone who still liked the game and appreciated the work!)

I do like this kind of game and it feels like I actually defined it:
The genre of games that don't really involve computer technology but have gameplay strongly based on computer games. They try to "emulate" features that are exclusive to the video game experience.

This time I still want to co-op and make a "real" game. (not necessarily for the Vinylotron but it would be so fucking cool to see games for it)

BaronCid

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 04:22:52 AM »

I like the idea of this contest but I also kind of don't like the idea of remaking someone else's game without their permission, even if it's just a parody. Anyone else feel that way?

Maybe I could get permission from someone demake one of their (indie) games...

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2008, 05:24:58 AM »

* Porthole
That's the second best thing I've heard all day.

Yes, I will port an existing game to a machine that consists of levers, springs, wires, cogs, steam power, and other pre-electronic technology.
That's the best thing I've heard all day.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2008, 07:13:16 AM »

I like the idea of this contest but I also kind of don't like the idea of remaking someone else's game without their permission, even if it's just a parody. Anyone else feel that way?

no

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 07:19:25 AM »

Yes, I will port an existing game to a machine that consists of levers, springs, wires, cogs, steam power, and other pre-electronic technology.

well... http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=2286.msg57198#msg57198

I'm sorry for being a dick again.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 09:06:01 AM »

Sorry, I didn't see that before. I am compelled to agree that such a contraption would indeed serve as a most noble and promising platform for your endeavors Gentleman

In other words, make something for that!! And I want the real deal, with having to carefully balance the LP onto the player, manually winding up the clockwork etc. Actually that could be the main part of the game, with the game-within-the-game just being some pong clone or whatever.
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 10:20:48 AM »

Sorry, I didn't see that before. I am compelled to agree that such a contraption would indeed serve as a most noble and promising platform for your endeavors Gentleman

In other words, make something for that!! And I want the real deal, with having to carefully balance the LP onto the player, manually winding up the clockwork etc. Actually that could be the main part of the game, with the game-within-the-game just being some pong clone or whatever.

Hot.

What about a virtual "gentleman's" tearom in which you have a shelf with several LPs on them.
So you have different games like "demakes" of Pong, Pacman, Super Mario Bros., Zelda: OoT or Cave Story.
You have to select the LP (with nice cover art) and put it onto the Vinylotron. Tongue

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2008, 10:37:53 AM »

Hot.

What about a virtual "gentleman's" tearom in which you have a shelf with several LPs on them.
So you have different games like "demakes" of Pong, Pacman, Super Mario Bros., Zelda: OoT or Cave Story.
You have to select the LP (with nice cover art) and put it onto the Vinylotron. Tongue

Awesome.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2008, 01:29:11 PM »

no

Are you sure nobody else does?

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2008, 01:52:39 PM »

no

yes

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2008, 01:55:14 PM »

no

no

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2008, 01:56:10 PM »

Make your choice :D

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2008, 02:01:55 PM »

Xion, if nobody else really didn't mind, this place has a lot less respect for others than I assumed.

I'm sure most people wouldn't mind their games being demade, but some people are Alan Moore about it and don't want other people doing anything with what they created, especially not without asking them first, and I just think we should respect those people by asking first.

As an example, if someone were to demake Aquaria so that it looks like it was made on the NES, wouldn't it be a good idea to email Derek and Alec and ask them first? It's not like they're likely to say no, it's more a gesture of respect.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2008, 02:26:45 PM »

Xion, if nobody else really didn't mind, this place has a lot less respect for others than I assumed.

I'm sure most people wouldn't mind their games being demade, but some people are Alan Moore about it and don't want other people doing anything with what they created, especially not without asking them first, and I just think we should respect those people by asking first.

As an example, if someone were to demake Aquaria so that it looks like it was made on the NES, wouldn't it be a good idea to email Derek and Alec and ask them first? It's not like they're likely to say no, it's more a gesture of respect.
No way!
plus it wouldn't be Aquaria, it would be something like blue water smurf girl or sthg and Derek would have NO LEGAL STAND.

I think my entry will be called Eternity hyperspace guardian. Gentleman

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2008, 02:29:55 PM »

Do you feel that same way about remakes in general?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic