Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411592 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 06:21:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationTest Pilot [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Test Pilot [FINISHED]  (Read 63997 times)
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 02:32:23 AM »

What I don't understand is how people could have so much fun with this, when all you could do was fly a randomized plane, and possibly loop with it Huh?

That's because you're locked into a violence-normative game paradigm!

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 02:39:04 AM »

Fantastic post, two4teezee, kudos Smiley

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 04:05:21 AM »

What I don't understand is how people could have so much fun with this, when all you could do was fly a randomized plane, and possibly loop with it Huh?

Then how come I love Animal Crossing? Tongue

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 04:33:19 AM »

Then how come I love Animal Crossing? Tongue

Animal Crossing is packed with violence! Even leaving side that you spend half your time destroying weeds or digging holes or murdering innocent fish, there's the classic game starter where the sinister mafioso raccoon loan shark threatens you with dire consequences if you don't pay off your debt, forcing you to do his dirty work and locking you into a continuous upgrade/cost spiral, and the 'gifting' is clearly a repressed assault (one-up-manship) mechanic.

Not to mention that the game feeds entirely on the brain's self-defence mechanism to appear appealing; you are forced to 'play' on a regular basis to avoid damage (weeds) being done to your town, which is truly the player's in-game avatar to a higher degree than the little guy you control.

Honestly, flying stuff around without a care in the world, that's a peaceful game. But Animal Crossing? It should be a 15+ at least.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2008, 06:52:01 AM »

I have to agree with Hideous, I'm afraid. The controls were very difficult, although I have to admit that was partly due to my lack of understanding of... plane sciences.  Once there are some objectives it will be a lot more interesting.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 08:28:34 AM »

Psh, the planes could rash and kill both the pilot and everyone inside it.

two4teezee
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 08:35:18 AM »

It's a work in progress, give him a break.

I wish I could make a game from scratch like that! What's this game written in?
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 08:49:47 AM »

Thanks for the epic explanation two4teezee. I'll pour over it more closely tonight. It's written in C++ using the PopCap framework.

I totally understand all the "it's pointless" comments. But it's not likely to grow a point any time soon.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2008, 08:52:26 AM »

I understand that it's a work in progress, and I love the idea, but I see people with comments like "oh my god this was so much fun i played with it for 40 minutes", and I don't understand it. That's all I meant.

Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 09:07:45 AM »

Looks pretty cool so far, but I wish there was more to do. This could be fleshed out into a more complete game idea, I think.

This game reminds me of Dogfight, a German freeware game that I highly recommend if you've never played it (http://dogfight.kuto.de/, once you download you can go in the options menu and select English as your language). You can make many parallels between that game and others that have come before it, mainly Dogfight for Amiga.
Oh hey, I've been looking for this game for ages. Found it on the internet a year or so ago but never got around to trying it. Recently, I tried looking for it again, but couldn't remember the name...thanks, random person! :D
Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2008, 09:31:36 AM »

Sar's right on the money re: AC. Nook's such a capitalist pig / raccoon.

mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2008, 05:06:11 PM »

I totally have to memorize that reply.  Would come in handy all the time.   Grin
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2008, 02:57:05 AM »

Very fun base you got here! Figuring out the nuances of each shape is fun (as is just maxing out the throttle and pitch on a tiny plane and watching it loop crazily).

Part of me wants to see crashing, but part of me also really likes the instantaneous restarts. The terminal velocity feels very slow, especially when dropping from above the cloud line (which could probably use faint stars in the background to indicate movement).

Maybe a Pilotwings approach could work for the gameplay: take off from a runway, fly through rings, then land safely within a time limit. A straight longest flight would fit in well with the tester theme, although the physics are a bit too arcadey for that at the moment since it's a bit too easy to stabilize yourself in the air if you have a light touch.

Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 10:02:14 PM »

She's done, Jim. Link on the first page!

Changes since the demo:
- I slacked off the game side a bit. Gameplay revolves around high scores in different categories (highest altitude, number of loops, etc.)
- More variety in planes. Bi and tri-planes are in, but fairly rare because they sometimes defy the laws of physics.
- Rolling is in. You can briefly see "The Third Dimension".
- More gooder physics. Some days all I did was tweak variables. It's driven me crazy. I'm aching to make a totally abstract game now.
- I had engine sounds, but removed them due to being awful. For now, when you fly a prop plane, go "pfpfpfpfpf" out loud. And when you fly a jet, go "vrrrrrrrr".

camosid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2008, 10:32:08 PM »

Vagina makes a really good plane.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2008, 11:50:09 PM »

Fun! I guess it only saves your records if you land successfully?

Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2008, 06:25:39 AM »

"Tit" all the way...

Awesome game!

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
Checker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2008, 06:31:45 AM »

Adding the little dude on the plane was awesome, totally gives it all more personality.

So far i was having fun with Tricky / Trickie / Tricksy. Tricksie is just a huge plane without wings i think that cannot really go up into the air Tongue

Fun stuff Crackers!
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2008, 07:04:51 AM »

Fun! I guess it only saves your records if you land successfully?

yes! I knew I forgot to mention something. And the purple bar is your fuel (which was meant to balance out the power of planes with rockets by giving them less fuel).

BobFM
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2008, 07:37:32 AM »

What a cool idea! Gameplay reminds me a bit of Sopwith, but with a more realistic flight model (and no cows). http://www.sopwith.org

I found a good plane called the "Odd Duck 2" (can go way into space!) though the fuel doesn't last long on that one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic