Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 07:57:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMicrocosmos - PC, Mac, Linux, Android (possibly: iOS, PS Vita, Windows 8, nD)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Microcosmos - PC, Mac, Linux, Android (possibly: iOS, PS Vita, Windows 8, nD)  (Read 1327 times)
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2012, 08:57:47 AM »

Not quite sure if I should start this devlog yet, especially with me already working on 2 other projects (not counting FireBreathers), AND with me not even starting this yet outside of planning, but oh well.

Well I'm planning an Android game where you start with a small tribe and build up your technology and population to a super high-tech sci-fi-ey level. I'm not sure to what level of detail I'll allow you to customise things like culture, rate of population growth, etc., as I AM only a one person team, but I'm trying to make a fun little simulator game that can be fun for both hours, and for a few minutes whilst you happen to be on the can. I do know one thing I absolutely would love to do (if its possible with the Android's RAM, as I'm certain this would work on just about any PC made after 2000...), and that is to have a sort of real time rivalry with all the other civilizations on the planet(and in the galaxy later on when you discover things like warp drive...). They build up their civilizations while you build up yours, so its usually best to take them out as early as possible. I've actually got a lot of plans for this, but I just want to see if you guys would be interested in a game like this.

Also, should the name be "Microcosm" or "Microcosmos"? I originally wanted it to be the first, you know to be "punny", but I was recommended the other in the Game Name Clinic... What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 08:33:13 AM by Impossible Realms » Logged
Ichigo Jam
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 09:55:22 AM »

I'd recommend against 'Microcosm' as it was the name of a somewhat rubbish FMV-based shooter back in the 90s which you probably don't want people to associate with your game... (mobygames link)
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 10:03:32 AM »

I'd recommend against 'Microcosm' as it was the name of a somewhat rubbish FMV-based shooter back in the 90s which you probably don't want people to associate with your game... (mobygames link)

I noted that as well in the Game Name thread.

As for the devlog: As long as you intend to work on it, or have something to show already, it isn't "too soon" to start. There's no forum-enforced deadline, or requirement that you post X things every Y days. If it helps you focus or stay motivated, start a devlog.
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 10:25:44 AM »

Wow, I guess the name of a game really IS important, I've already got more views on this than I did on the Fire Breathers log at this point. (Now lets just hope I don't somehow screw it up...)

@Ichigo Jam   Yeah, I'm starting to think it might be a better idea to just drop the pun and go for "Microcosmos". I actually searched videos of that game on YouTube after the link in the Name thread, and judging by the scores at the link, I'm thinking that it looks a LOT better than it plays...  Whether it was good or not I don't think a game with scores that low is something I want to associate with...

@rek Yeah, I know there's no deadline or anything, I just don't want to get peoples hopes up for a game that I probably won't have screenshots or anything from for a while.
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 05:15:31 PM »

Well, this isn't really that much of an update, but I was actually considering making this more than an Android exclusive. Why? Well, there's other devices with touch screens besides Android, and PCs have mouses. There's a really large audience out there when you add these other platforms all up, and I'm thinking it would be worth the extra few days to make ports.

Well, what do you think? Which would benefit me more, accessibility or exclusiveness?

Also, I'm about to start work on this, but I'm not quite sure if this should be my main project. There's a couple of projects I'm fine with dropping, and others I'm fine with taking a break from, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to make this my new main project...
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 06:17:25 PM »

Well, I've got some of the graphics done:

Take note of the incredibly and intentionally simple design. There is actual a reason for this besides saving more space for code. Note how all these frames are bald. Well, the simpler they are, the simpler it is to draw things on top of them. Yes that's right, things like hair, clothes, and the faces will simply be more images drawn on top of the first image, for 2 reasons. 1) It saves a LOT of time and space on graphics and animation if I decide to have tons of customization and randomization (which I most definately will). 2) It makes it that much easier to allow an outfit creator.

Also, yes there will be an extremely high amount of customizability to your culture (since that IS the main focus of the game after all...)
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 08:32:01 PM »

Well, I'm off to a GREAT start. I have the basic stage generation done:

The green is grass and the gray blocks are rocks. Yes, I do realize that rocks need to be far less common. Hopefully that won't be an issue when I add more tiles for the generation to select from.
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 03:47:08 PM »

Well, I've got the player objects started, but for some reason collision just doesn't seem to want to work. I hope I get it right...

Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 06:43:16 AM »

Well, I now have a very basic resource system, and a tree that adds wood to your resources when you click it. Well, now I have a question for you guys. Do you think it would be better to have the people be a cosmetic thing (they just kinda move around and stay in the village), or should you actually need to make them collect resources?
JimmyRobo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 07:48:41 AM »

Your description makes me think of a game on the Amiga back in the day called Mega Lo Mania (

).

Longer vid here: (

)

As you can see, it was super simple, but had a lot of depth - your entire civilization was built on just 1-2 small screen segments, and you could have whole wars play out like that. Along with the advancement to super-sci-fi levels.

So I don't think you need much by way of world-size - but to answer your question. I think having the little people actually walk around and do stuff will add a lot of apparent depth to the simulation.
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 08:14:09 AM »

That game you linked actually looks pretty interesting. I'll have to watch more vids...

Also, yeah, the worlds I'm generating aren't MASSIVE, just a decent enough size to keep the player occupied. I'll keep your suggestions in mind BTW.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic