Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411583 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 05:39:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSilas - The Kart/Shooter Hybrid
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Silas - The Kart/Shooter Hybrid  (Read 1908 times)
wsworin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 17, 2010, 03:14:19 AM »

Hey guys, I thought I'd show you my project Silas . Silas is a Kart Racer/First Person Shooter hybrid! This means that you can kill with the precision of FPS games all while driving really fast. It also has a flight upgrade with a chaingun and bomb dropper to mix things up. The game focuses on Combat, Flight, and Racing. If your playing the battle modes, there is also a lot of strategy involved. Let me know what you think.  Beer!

Here are some quick specs:

- Fast paced gameplay
- 20 Diverse Worlds
- 18 Weapons, 32 Different Functions
- 30 Song Original Soundtrack
- Multiple Gameplay Modes
- Online Gameplay For up to 12 players

Silas is currently available for pre-order at the Official Website for only $9.99. It is looking like a spring 2011 release. Planning for private beta with pre-purchasers for January.

Clicking the image below will lead to the Official Website:

Early Trailer for the game:

Please help support the game by visiting these sites. Joining. Spreading the word. I need all the help I can get as I hope to find some sort of digital distribution. Getting on services like Steam is actually really hard and I still have a long ways to go. This would really mean alot! Smiley

My Blog:

The Facebook Page Site:

The ModDB Site:

Twitter:

Steam Group:

Youtube Videos:

Thanks for reading! Smiley
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 12:01:18 AM by wsworin » Logged
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 05:51:10 AM »

It's really cool, congratulations! Which engine have you used?

wsworin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 02:44:34 PM »

Thanks. I am using the A8 engine which is part of 3dgamestudio. I've actually been using 3dgamestudio for 10 years now, lol! All the way back from A5, when things looked alot different. It's a good solid engine, the weakest part is it's tool chain to get content in. The language it is programmed in is something very close to C but with additional scripting commands built in.  Smiley

Silas started development on the A6 engine. It actually underwent a full code change from something called c-script to Lite-C at one point. That took a couple months, I mainly used batch converters.
chumez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 05:21:31 PM »

Wow, that looks very cool. The engine is running smoothly, nice. I like karts and I like shooting stuff so ... a good mix it is!  Smiley It took you quite some time to make this, if you started on A6  Smiley, but considering you're a lone developer that is still awesome!

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
wsworin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 06:23:06 PM »

Yeah it was started way back in Highschool. Which seems like ages ago. So it was part-time for the most part, afterward I have to work at other jobs to make ends meet. But through time things get done. Wink

The graphics have been upgraded many times over and the code too. But it's getting near the stage where it has very little bugs. I would have liked to work with others, but I grew on a farm with barely 28k internet, lol. And no one really had computers around there, so nobody local to work with. When I moved to the city, the project was already pretty far along.

Heres an old screenshot from 2004 via the Facebook Page. Durr...?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Silas/84128189746?v=photos&ref=ts#

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 06:09:39 AM »

I have been following this for some time now...  Think I'm going to have to get it ^^
laserdracula
Level 0

Get ON my plane!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 06:20:47 AM »

It looks pretty rad.  The realistically proportioned driver looks a little silly in his tiny mario-sized cart though.
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 02:08:42 PM »

Looks quite nice. I believe the driving/shooting combo has been done before, but a game based around kart driving and shooting might be unique.

The more Mario Kart-esque parts of the trailer excite me the most.
wsworin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 02:35:56 PM »

The characters are more realistically portioned, but this was purposely done as I wanted more of a realistic look to it. I guess you can say I have been trying for a sci-fi style.

I agree there was tons of driving/shooting games. But Silas is very different in the way it plays because of something I call "Turret Mode" and the turret weapons. Basically you aim the weapon with your mouse while driving. Or you can go fullscreen to aim nicely.

You can see the shooting dynamics in this video here:

I have played alot of Twisted Metal and Vigilante 8 in my day(probably more than I should have, lol). But this is much different because in those games you don't have the freedom to aim all your guns. As well, they are much slower moving and have no flight. Great games, but different style. Smiley

I'm glad you enjoy Mario Kart. You will probably like the racing in Silas then, but it is much much harder level designs, so be sure to brush up on your kart skills. I aim to make this the first hardcore/mature kart racer.
wsworin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 12:03:21 AM »

Here is a brand new video showcasing the Cannon and Barrel Cove in Silas!

Link to Youtube Video:

Link To Article:

http://www.moddb.com/games/silas/news/blast-yo-cannon-in-silas
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 10:18:47 AM »

After watching the video and seeing what you said about Mario Kart with more hardcore level designs, this game seems really fun.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic