Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411641 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 03:09:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsTwitch plays type game? I'm an artist (Need a programmer)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Twitch plays type game? I'm an artist (Need a programmer)  (Read 2257 times)
rocketmangrf
« on: May 19, 2014, 08:55:17 AM »

Hi I'm an artist and I want to make a game and I've never made a game before. I have some understanding of how to use GML is game maker.

I had an idea of making some kind of game that was designed to be played by Twitch. The game is only played though once, but by Twitch. Along the same vein as Twitch Plays Pokemon.

It would need to have very simple controls, ones that could be used by an IRC Bot, and a pretty sweet looking 8/16 bit game aesthetic, lots of things to discover about the world.

At the very heart of the game I would want it to be about the internet. Maybe even some kind of "saving the internet" type story.

It's sort of dark to in some ways.

Not sure exactly what else.

But I want to make the kind of game that twitch plays pokemon was. Thousands of people playing one game and over coming a challenge.

I need to learn to make game assets but here are some examples of things I have made in the past to show my current skill set.

An idea I'm working on called The Subject of Saturn, it's about 2D vs 3D. A 3D cube of death has come to destroy the world. And you are the only one that can stop it.

As for game aesthetic, as a point of reference I would aim to have it just feel awesome like  Hyper Light Drifter, or Radio the Universe. Not saying I'm that good to be able to do that right off the bat, but it would be my goal.

Radio the Universe has to be the coolest thing I've ever seen though.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:31:06 AM by rocketmangrf » Logged
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »

Radio the Universe has to be the coolest thing I've ever seen though.

But why is it dead? Any news of it?

Anyways, making a twitch plays is a mess, 40 secs of delay between input and receive, server needs to be on 24/7 and you'd need a monitor just for it because the only way to stream is to capture the window itself, which also capture windows on top of it, so you can't have it running in the background. finally, the script is awful, you'd need to make your own

You'd be able to do it, but that'd take a lot of time
bjadams
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 02:28:20 PM »

Love your artwork.

Not so fond about the concept of this particular game.

If you have other simple game ideas, and would like to co-operate (i'm a programmer), get in touch

iOS & Android developer
rocketmangrf
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 06:37:50 PM »

@Whiteclaws: It looked like it could of been a fun game to me. I hope they are still developing it, but maybe not. Love the art style regardless.

xerohuang
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 02:11:25 AM »

Nice art!

Not so much interested in the Twitch idea. It would take too much time/resource to make it.

Would like to work with you on some other ideas. Smiley
rocketmangrf
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 10:05:31 AM »

Seems like the idea is not to appealing.

What if the game was more simple? Like there was only 3 button press commands that could be utilized. Most of the time you wouldn't want to press certain buttons, because that would set you back. But they are pressed anyways by random people.

The game is also a physics type of game. There is no gravity, and when you jump you keep floating until you hit another object and then you walk on that object and reorient yourself.

Kind of like Enders Game

So it almost becomes a vs type of game. It's the people trying to ruin the game vs the people trying to complete the game.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 10:40:59 AM by rocketmangrf » Logged
rocketmangrf
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 05:35:50 PM »

Still working on this idea.

Currently this is what I am thinking about the game and I feel pretty strongly about it. Still need to actually build an engine, and see if it even works.

Design doc.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SvLJhltDK9aF3jhVjpNXqB6m94y1wCwaZXihihHzh-E/edit?usp=sharing

Idea's for movement, someone reminded me today that I would need to program in a 40 second delay for the movements to really be able to test it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B50OHRMqEXh5NFBreWhZR2oxQW8/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B50OHRMqEXh5LXpkS0tUMm52eGs/edit?usp=sharing

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 05:41:08 PM by rocketmangrf » Logged
Mete
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 12:32:29 PM »

There is someone programming for you? How do you communicate with twitch? Does it need to be a irc bot?
I made a lot of irc games already, also some bots, actually I program in c++, SFML and LUA...

As you can see, english is not my native language, but I would like to work with you, do you have any sketch of the game?
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 06:42:15 PM »

While the idea is cool I can't say I'm interested personally, but input as a programmer here. It was mentioned above about needed to use screen capture and such to pull this off, but since you're not trying to use an existing game and just dump community control onto it it would be dead simple to just have simple IRC connections and load ffmpeg/libx264's libs directly into the game, basicly rendering the game directly to the buffer.  That removes having nasty things like mesa/opengl/xorg dependencies on server side and lets you run the game off a much simpler (and cheaper) server.

-Fuzzy Spider
Mete
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 01:54:04 PM »

While the idea is cool I can't say I'm interested personally, but input as a programmer here. It was mentioned above about needed to use screen capture and such to pull this off, but since you're not trying to use an existing game and just dump community control onto it it would be dead simple to just have simple IRC connections and load ffmpeg/libx264's libs directly into the game, basicly rendering the game directly to the buffer.  That removes having nasty things like mesa/opengl/xorg dependencies on server side and lets you run the game off a much simpler (and cheaper) server.

Or you can simple use twitch sdk.
http://dev.twitch.tv/
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 02:06:42 PM »

twitch sdk is windows/ios only and the way it works still has all the requirements (and downsides)as just screen capturing, so that goes right back to super expensive server that needs a graphical window/monitor to run. twitch sdk is more for end user conveniance to broadcast quick streams from the game, so for something like this that would run as a server twitch sdk would have all the downsides as screen capturing with a lot more work involved.

-Fuzzy Spider
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 02:56:56 PM »

The dilemma with this is that it's not really an interesting game.

Twitch Plays Pokemon stays interesting because the input keeps driving the player to new locations and results in the player building different teams in each game, or changing throughout the game. Even if you're just watching, you want to come back later to see how much further the player has gotten, or to see how they eventually got through a difficult challenge.

Your game might stay interesting as people see the game cycle through all the different states, but afterwards they'll lose interest and not have anything to strive for.

There needs to be some sort of a progression, and more interesting choices for players to make. Add in some sort of an end goal - maybe time and civilization advances for a few days and then there's a finale based on the state of the characters. Maybe there are visible choices to make along the way, and players not only get to see the results of those choices, but also are aware of the choices they didn't make, but would like to see on a subsequent playthrough. Maybe there's a "best" ending and after a few rounds players can start to puzzle out how to get it and share in the victory of their accomplishment.

I'd strongly recommend you work out a couple of intelligently designed challenges for players to attempt to overcome as a team.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic