Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411669 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 11:05:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallDungeons of Daggerhelm - Retro-Style Action RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dungeons of Daggerhelm - Retro-Style Action RPG  (Read 2500 times)
RWG68
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2014, 05:21:56 PM »

Introducing: Dungeons of Daggerhelm!

What is Dungeons of Daggerhelm?

Dungeons of Daggerhelm is the first project of Rendered World Games. It is a retro-style dungeon crawler action RPG, loosely based on games like the original Diablo, and many inspirations from games like Realm of the Mad God. Dungeons of Daggerhelm is a simple (graphics) yet complex (game play) role-playing game set in the fantasy magical world of Daggerhelm, a land torn apart by demons and horrific evil.

Dungeons of Daggerhelm's primary game play concepts are killing, looting, and gear hunting with your class of choice. Players get to choose from four playable classes in the game, and can rotate through each one however they like, whenever they want. The four classes are as follows: the Paladin, who deals melee damage and throws hammers; the Sorcerer, who throws fireballs and spells from a distance; the Ranger, who shoots powerful arrows from a distance; and the Battle-Mage, who casts spells and deals melee damage.

Here is a sample game play video:

This is the animation picture for the Paladin character.

Dungeons of Daggerhelm is written in Java, and managed through Eclipse software.

The project page for this game is at this URL: http://www.indiedb.com/games/dungeons-of-daggerhelm

Please stop by and see if you like the game! If you do, please give our Facebook page a like, too! We like to know how the community responds to the game concept! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dungeons-of-Daggerhelm/559822910800627

Hopefully we will see you all in Daggerhelm!

~ The Rendered World Team
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 06:49:13 PM by RWG68 » Logged
RWG68
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 08:22:13 PM »

Hello everybody!

We're updating you with something fantastic! We are releasing the prototype model of the game very shortly, so please visit the project page at http://www.indiedb.com/games/dungeons-of-daggerhelm for some pre-prototype mode news!

See you soon!

Rendered World Team
RWG68
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 11:44:03 AM »

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to let you all know: the Dungeons of Daggerhelm prototype is HERE!

http://www.indiedb.com/games/dungeons-of-daggerhelm/downloads/dungeons-of-daggerhelm-prototype

Here you go! The prototype download for Dungeons of Daggerhelm!

Here's what you need to know to get started:

1. The file is small, so the .jar can just fit right on your desktop after download.

2. Double click the desktop icon, and hit "Play".

3. You're in!

Before you can get started, there are a few things we'd like you to know:

1. Most of what you see in-game is subject to change.

2. If you see any game-breaking bugs, such as crashes or animation bugs, please notify us immediately.

3. Some features of the game have not been added yet: there is no prototype boss (-major sadface-), the spawn map bounds are not set, so do not wander off too far (the stones in the environment should be an indicator; if they disappear, turn around and walk the other way), and Holly the potion vendor has nothing to say right now (her dog ate her script).

That's all! Please enjoy!
RWG68
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 07:21:20 AM »

Hello everyone!

First off, the prototype game of Dungeons of Daggerhelm went far better than we anticipated. 18 downloads in three days! Wow!

We're excited that the game got some exposure because of this. The only issue is that the prototype returned a lot of bugs and problems that made the game incredibly hard to play. We're going to list them now and perhaps you might agree with some of them:

Enemies shoot too fast!
 We know, we know. Unfortunately for the first players who downloaded the game, an issue arose where the enemies had the same fire rate as the player. This issue was a known factor in the game but we did not fully determine whether it would be difficult for players to successfully kill the enemies. What did we do about it? In the code, we nerfed enemy fire rate to around once every 2 seconds, instead of 4 times every second (ish). We also buffed the enemy's range so that they will shoot from farther away, making them more difficult to target. The player's fire rate was also buffed slightly. A give and take of difficulty.

I killed an NPC by accident! -sadface-
 This was a bug we didn't exactly catch until a tester noted that "while I was clicking on Holly the potion vendor to talk to her, she died." This was something that was hidden in the code somewhere, and we eventually rooted it out. What did we do about it? Instead of making NPCs... well... not die, we instead increased their health by 1000% to around 1000 life. They take more hits to kill, so don't fool around anymore, people!

I reached a blue ocean-thing and now I'm lost.
 This was a known issue. The map did not cut players off from viewing what we call "void tiles" which are non-graphic tiles of a specific color that make up the rest of the map you can't see.... well, aren't supposed to see. What did we do about it? We hand-drew walls around the entire map that the player should be able to access, and determined bounds for where the player could walk. This contains both the player and the enemies so they don't go wandering off in the unrendered wilderness.

I hate waiting for this textbox to end. I want to play the game!
 Well, we couldn't outright remove the textbox, but the speed at which the text scrolls was, indeed, a minor problem. We just wanted you players to get the necessary info, y'know? What did we do about it? Fortunately, our programmer included a method that increases the scroll speed of the text, so if you're reading it for the second time, it goes by about 3x as fast now.

This map is monotonous. There's nothing to see!
 This "issue" was known the whole time. Yes, the map looks dull with just walls and grass and rocks. What did we do about it? The sprite designer fixed the flower tiles we had before, and made them look like a part of the level. Now the map sports some nice flora everywhere! There's even a grove of flowers near the bottom-right of the map!

All of the changes we've made are in the new prototype file located in the same place you found the first one. just re-download it for the newest update, fixing 99% of these issues.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/dungeons-of-daggerhelm/downloads/dungeons-of-daggerhelm-prototype
YellzBellzDotCom
Level 0

YellzBellzDotCom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 09:20:32 AM »

Overall I give you kudos for completing one of the hardest types of games to write!

I probably have over 50 prototypes of RPG's on my hard drives that just went to the wayside after getting to a point where the game just doesn't look interesting.

I love the graphics, of what you are showing here anyways. The style is definitely good!

The ability to choose from different classes is a huge bonus. Too often games like this only give you the option of playing 1 class so your definitely ahead of the curve on that!

As soon as I get the time (someday!), I would love to check the game out further!

Thanks!

RWG68
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:35:26 AM »

Thank you very much YellzBellz for your kind words!

I would just like to let you know that the game doesn't currently support multiple classes yet. But it is definitely under our radar for the next couple months and will be implemented! We know how, and we know how long it will take, it's just a matter of finding time to do it.

Our goal is to steer away from the type of game Realm of the Mad God turned into after it was sold to a larger company. They started charging customers real-life money to unlock other classes and get unique stuff, and we definitely do not want to do that, ever!

Thank you for your comments on the graphics! They seem to be one of Dungeons of Daggerhelm's shining features, as far as tester comments go.

Thanks for writing your message! It means a lot to us!

ubik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 05:07:55 PM »

I personally cannot abide character graphics like that.  There are obviously people who disagree with me and it's a matter of taste but that style turns me off to a game faster than anything else.
RWG68
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 09:28:29 PM »

Hello everyone! Ground clutter update time!

Here we have some visual updates that didn't quite make it into some of the videos and prototype examples. After studying our graphics, we realized some things weren't quite right. So we changed around the flowers to make them smaller, and added the larger flowers back into the game with more detail and contrast in the way we uploaded them.

Here is a sample of the Sorcerer animation and appearance. She is raging and ready to enter the game, so design and sprite animation is going into effect sometime this weekend. Let us know if she needs some work.

This is, lastly, a sample tree that we would place in select spots around the map like we did with the flowers, though more sparingly. Please note that this look of the tree will most likely change as Dungeons of Daggerhelm morphs into something more playable.

That's all for now, thanks for staying with us!
RWG68
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 11:09:40 PM »

Hello everyone!

While we have not updated for a few days, we're still working!

Today, we want to bring your attention to some possible game play mechanics for Dungeons of Daggerhelm. The first on our list is knockback. Our version of knockback, is pushing enemies backward in the direction of the hit, stunning them from all actions for a few moments. It's hard to see in an image. Hopefully there will be a video accompanying this game play aspect!

Next up, NPC textboxes! (This we CAN show with an image!)

All you need to do is simply hit E when you are close to one of the NPCs (currently just our vendor, Holly) and you can talk to them! Nifty, huh?

Next up, the first boss! Our sprite designer just finished the concept art (previously had been left unfinished). Here is what he looked like before:

And now, after:

Mostly just the face has been changed, but that's mainly the important part! Please let us know how he looks. We don't want to make a mistake and draw something you guys don't find intimidating!

Additionally, we are working on switchable classes! HOORAY! You don't need to be playing just the ranger anymore! Currently, the prototype lets us swap out with the Paladin from the Ranger, and then back to the Ranger again. With some time, we're going to unveil our master plan for swapping out classes, and making a cool way for players to do so once they start the game. Our original intent was not to have players start the game as a Ranger.

Thanks for keeping up!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic