Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411607 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 10:16:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessGabe’s Hypocrisy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Gabe’s Hypocrisy  (Read 7770 times)
RCIX
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2011, 06:14:34 AM »

(Was very tempted to just leave a reply containing nothing but "wat")

Huh?
im9today
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2011, 06:26:13 AM »

we're going to get you for this gabe. occupy steam
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2011, 11:00:06 AM »

Just a question,
Isn't Mac the most closed platform of all? Then why Gabe didn't say anything about mac? Or is he cool with mac only when they allow steam in?
It's a question(although with a bit rethoric), becuase I really don't know.

Master of all trades.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2011, 12:26:02 PM »

Mac is pretty open though afaik.

Sure there's the App Store for Mac now, but that doesn't stop you from getting any app from anywhere.(for now at least)

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2011, 12:26:33 PM »

Anyone who wants to can write code for OSX, it's not closed at all.  Just write some C and compile with gcc or something and there you go, can't get any simpler then that.
eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2011, 03:57:12 PM »

Mac is open for now. But apple has the most militant attitude to controlling their techno-system. They'll have a vicious upgrade treadmill (OS9 -> OSX, PPC -> Intel, ? -> ?) that has repeatedly made good products obsolete. I've worked on Mac products for a decade now, and while their API's can be pretty good (Cocoa's great), the real problem lies in not knowing if they'll pull the rug from under you. I expect that they're due for another shakeup soon, probably with the next system after Lion more closely integrating OSX and iOS.

The good news is that OSX supports a lot of Unix libraries, and most major library vendors have an interest in supporting OSX, so you can write software that is not too hard to port to Mac.

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
dEnamed
Level 4

Bored was AmnEn.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2011, 05:10:51 PM »

Steam > Other Services for one simple reason:
It's giving me payment options other than Credit Card and Paypal.

Obviously of demonic ancestry. In that case, can I get my wings please?
Zaphos
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2011, 06:30:56 PM »

Mac is open for now. But apple has the most militant attitude to controlling their techno-system. They'll have a vicious upgrade treadmill (OS9 -> OSX, PPC -> Intel, ? -> ?) that has repeatedly made good products obsolete.
Those two were relatively fundamental and necessary infrastructure changes though ...
eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2011, 06:50:18 PM »

Mac is open for now. But apple has the most militant attitude to controlling their techno-system. They'll have a vicious upgrade treadmill (OS9 -> OSX, PPC -> Intel, ? -> ?) that has repeatedly made good products obsolete.
Those two were relatively fundamental and necessary infrastructure changes though ...

The changes aren't the problem, it's the support. For instance, I had a Titanium Powerbook G4, 4 1/2 years after I bought it, it was no longer compatible with new iPod touches. There was no technical reason that a 3rd Gen iPod touch couldn't be used with OSX 10.3, but they just dropped support. Meanwhile I could still use that iPod with a Windows XP system from 8 years earlier, and I can still run most software on a single core XP system. Can't say the same for Macs. The support for running classic Mac software evaporated while much of that software was still in use. Rosetta support was dropped in the latest OSX, goodbye PPC programs, many of which I own and are useless on new systems.

It's pure BS. Apple has terrible vendor lock-in, and once you're locked, they'll drop support for the latest miracle. C'mon, why are using that software, it's so 2010, just give us heaps of money for this years fashion, which sucks by the way *cough*Final Cut Pro*ahem*. I still think they make the most user friendly system, and the nicest, most ergonomic computer hardware, but they're culture of support and attitude to compatibility has made me want to move to OpenBSD. At least there, I'll always have the technical means to do what I want, albeit with more effort on my part.

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2011, 07:41:03 PM »

I have never experienced any of that.  My Macbook pro is 6 years old and it's still my only computer, and I have never run into things it couldn't run.  I have OSX 10.5 still and not upgrading hasn't seemed to be a problem for anything either.

That said it's probably because I mainly use it as I would *NIX .
Zaphos
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2011, 08:18:55 PM »

The changes aren't the problem, it's the support. For instance, I had a Titanium Powerbook G4, 4 1/2 years after I bought it, it was no longer compatible with new iPod touches. There was no technical reason that a 3rd Gen iPod touch couldn't be used with OSX 10.3, but they just dropped support. Meanwhile I could still use that iPod with a Windows XP system from 8 years earlier, and I can still run most software on a single core XP system. Can't say the same for Macs. The support for running classic Mac software evaporated while much of that software was still in use. Rosetta support was dropped in the latest OSX, goodbye PPC programs, many of which I own and are useless on new systems.

It's pure BS. Apple has terrible vendor lock-in, and once you're locked, they'll drop support for the latest miracle. C'mon, why are using that software, it's so 2010, just give us heaps of money for this years fashion, which sucks by the way *cough*Final Cut Pro*ahem*. I still think they make the most user friendly system, and the nicest, most ergonomic computer hardware, but they're culture of support and attitude to compatibility has made me want to move to OpenBSD. At least there, I'll always have the technical means to do what I want, albeit with more effort on my part.
Ah wow that does sound crappy Sad  I didn't get anything mac until after they'd switched to OSX and Intel, so didn't have to experience most of the bad stuff I guess.  (also I usually run xp on my mac, 'cause I dislike their software generally.)
Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2011, 11:37:02 PM »

Steam > Other Services for one simple reason:
It's giving me payment options other than Credit Card and Paypal.

Like what?
thedomaginarium
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2011, 06:41:27 PM »

there are a lot of people who do not buy pc games unless they're on steam. there are especially a lot of people who told me they'd buy my game if it were on steam (i don't see how that matters, but whatever)

You sir hit the nail on the head. I've also been told by many gamers "I hope you sell your games through steam so I can buy it." I don't know if it's a matter of Steam being a superior platform for consumers, being the only platform they know, or being the iPhone amidst all the other platforms (as in "I buy on steam because of the brand").

I don't think you NEED to be on Steam for your games to do well, but I guess you have to work a lot harder, and maybe get a little lucky? For example, Notch said he doesn't need Steam and he won't be selling Minecraft through Steam, but again, it took like a year and a half-ish? for his game to really take off.
Atnas
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2011, 07:43:01 PM »

Voxatron sales went rather well because it was marketed by the Humble Bundle, and it's not a steam game. For an indie game to do WELL you really do need to either have something as addictive and accessible as minecraft or get on steam or one of those bundles. That is, unless you're some sort of internet celebrity or something.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2011, 09:36:02 AM »

To sum up, you need good marketing strategy and execution.

ubik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2011, 09:09:34 PM »

I don't like any game Valve ever made except for steam.  For some reason all of their engines from Halflife 1 onward have made me violently ill, and I also don't like a lot of their game design decisions.

Steam, though, I like quite well.  There are good and bad things about it like everything else but all in all Steam distribution is often the deciding factor for whether I will buy a commercial game or not.
James McCloud
Level 3

I can't art

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2011, 01:52:15 PM »

I don't like any game Valve ever made except for steam.  For some reason all of their engines from Halflife 1 onward have made me violently ill, and I also don't like a lot of their game design decisions.
I.... I don't understand.
Even Portal(2)?
Left 4 Dead (2)?
Team Fortress (2)?

This is me on steam.

Hey look!  My blog's gone again!  Ain't that somethin?

I really need a better sig :\
ink.inc
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2011, 01:54:48 PM »

the first half life made me throw up

i don't usually get motion sickness from playing games, but that one hit me hard
CPCTyler
Level 0

Koya Game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2011, 08:58:25 AM »

I myself am experiencing the refusal steam with the only accurate "it is our policy not to give a reason." Frustrating. Droop
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2011, 10:39:20 AM »

I.... I don't understand.
Even Portal(2)?
Left 4 Dead (2)?
Team Fortress (2)?

i haven't played portal 2, but i found the rest of them to be pretty awful games (for my tastes). hopefully i'll like dota2 more than the rest of valve's games

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic