Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411607 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 08:55:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessGabe’s Hypocrisy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Gabe’s Hypocrisy  (Read 7769 times)
ubik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2011, 05:06:57 AM »

You know, I did enjoy L4D somewhat, and Portal was fun for a while too, but again, the sickness in my stomach prevented me from liking that.  I have this problem with certain engines and I really don't know why, some people suggested that it was the FOV setting but it doesn't seem to be that.  If I play Quake 1 on a modern box I will literally vomit-- I think it may just be something like car sickness.

This is no criticism of Valve's products in any way of course-- my main issue with the Halflife games has to do with the on-railsness of them.  I really like an open world game and I won't play games that aren't.  TF2 I think I am maybe just too old for, but then I never liked the class-based FPS games.  This is entirely a personal taste issue, their games just don't do it for me.  I really rather don't like FPS shooters like those.

For me the real killer app is Steam.  I am very likely to not buy games that don't come on Steam.  When I hear "origin" or anything like that, I am just not going to buy it.

I like the convenience of it and I like knowing that there is no disk to lose.  Obviously a double-edged sword but it's an acceptable risk for me.

I also like the way Gabe conducts himself-- his behavior after the recent security breach was a good example for anybody.  And I really don't understand why anyone would start a thread just to hate on the guy.
MattG
Level 5

Pictures Of Trains

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2011, 06:52:16 AM »

I am very likely to not buy games that don't come on Steam.  When I hear "origin" or anything like that, I am just not going to buy it.

you should also only wear valve clothes too
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 07:30:01 AM by MattG » Logged
Atnas
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2011, 08:39:32 AM »

That's dumb, MattG. Games on Steam are much more attractive simply because it's easy to purchase. I don't want to have to register with some other site and provide all my info again when steam has plenty of fun to offer me.

For example, I was really looking forward to Wizorb on PC but when it came to desura I was like eh? and couldnt be assed to buy it because I already have such a backlog of games on steam from all the sales that I reasoned that I'd be better off just playing them and waiting for Wizorb to eventually come to steam. That, or waiting until Desura has enough to offer me to bother signing up.

MattG
Level 5

Pictures Of Trains

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2011, 08:51:39 AM »

you didnt buy a game you wanted cause it wasnt on steam? that is so lame Facepalm
Atnas
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2011, 08:54:28 AM »

oh. Well then haha. last night when I took off my shirt I noticed it had the nintendo seal of approval on the tag (old blastoise shirt from the 90s) and I realized that it might actually be possible to own a nintendo car, nintendo clothes, nintendo games, nintendo everything lol.

So forgive me for taking you seriously and accept my "lol"

Edit: seems you changed your post from "it was just a joke"

It's not so lame, I expect to buy it some day, but the point is that currently no other service other than steam offers enough games to warrant the hassle of managing multiple accounts, and I expect it's the same type of thing for many other consumers as well.

MattG
Level 5

Pictures Of Trains

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2011, 09:09:25 AM »

you must go and buy wizorb immediately  to repent for your sins against gaming. Then two copies of sketchbrawlers when it comes out. After that say three hail pixels and youll be fine.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2011, 10:38:27 AM »

You know what's annoying? When I'm playing a STEAM game on my STEAM installation, and then I realize I have to stand up to go fetch a cookie and a can of soda in the fridge.
OH GOD it's fucking annoying, why don't they install a cookie dispenser that goes straight into my mouth, I don't know.
Steam already solved the hassle of moving my arm to take the CD rom and put it in the CD tray, but now THIS?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
MattG
Level 5

Pictures Of Trains

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2011, 10:47:27 AM »

You know what's annoying? When I'm playing a STEAM game on my STEAM installation, and then I realize I have to stand up to go fetch a cookie and a can of soda in the fridge.
OH GOD it's fucking annoying, why don't they install a cookie dispenser that goes straight into my mouth, I don't know.
Steam already solved the hassle of moving my arm to take the CD rom and put it in the CD tray, but now THIS?

gabe has a steam account hooked to a cookie machine. He just enters in credits and gets UNLIMITED chocolate chip, smores, coconut fudgies, nilla wafers, FUCKING COOKIES WTF
ubik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2011, 11:02:58 AM »

you should also only wear valve clothes too

If Valve clothes were the only ones that teleported right onto my body with zero inconvenience, and would be replaced at no charge if anything ever happened to them, I would definitely-- beyond a shadow of a doubt-- wear ONLY Valve clothes.
Atnas
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2011, 11:20:19 AM »

moi, I don't appreciate the notion that I'm lazy for overlooking games I don't need to play in the first place because their platform would be a hassle to install. I do buy games that aren't on steam, but it sure as hell makes it much more convenient if they're on steam.

hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2011, 11:44:15 AM »

There's a difference between "platform would be a hassle to install" and "not on steam" though. Having had a bad experience with Origin, I'd be hesitant to buy a game that relied on it. But plenty of games can be bought directly from the developer and require no complicated accounts at all. Smiley

There are players out there who do the whole "wah wah, no steam = no purchase" thing, which is rather annoying.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2011, 11:52:55 AM »

yeah; i buy games from either steam, gog.com, or direct -- i tend not to use other platforms unless there's a big sale (like when you could get darkstalkers for pc for 49 cents from microsoft's steam competitor)

but anyway it's clearly harmful to developers to only buy the games who get on steam (especially for people not on steam, but even for devs who *are* on steam who lose 30% of the price when you buy it through steam), it's just that some people care more about convenience than about supporting a monopoly. same reason some people shop at walmart even though they recognize the harm walmart does etc. etc.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2011, 11:54:58 AM »

moi, I don't appreciate the notion that I'm lazy for overlooking games I don't need to play in the first place because their platform would be a hassle to install. I do buy games that aren't on steam, but it sure as hell makes it much more convenient if they're on steam.
I didn't say you were overlooking anybody, actually the typical steamdi steam user buy games solely because they are on sale on steam and ends up with a stash of unplayed games.
you guys aer just lazy tube fed and tube feeding steam with your money.

and killing the PC games market

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2011, 03:24:58 AM »

I was one of those guys that reluctantly adopted Steam when purchasing Civilization V (didn't know it was mandatory).
Though I'm yet to buy a game there apart from the Indie Bundles and freebies from my ATI system,  immediately realized the convenience of it.
I have no problem with Desura, GoG.com or any other portal, as long as it's reliable.

Convenience and ease of use did it for me. Are they closed or something? Do I as a costumer care? Not really. As a developer, of course I do.

It should be the developers that should do the pushing if there's something wrong. Steam doesn't exist on it's own accord. I can crash and burn if devs want it to.

Yeah.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2011, 04:57:21 AM »

even as a "costumer" i care, because not all the games that i want to buy are on steam. for instance, gog.com has planescape: torment, steam doesn't, and steam has the void but not pathologic (which other portals do have), and i don't like having my games spread out on a bunch of different platforms. i'd much prefer an open platform that i could buy any game in, something more like apple's app store, or xblig (which aren't open either but from what i gather it's like 100x easier to publish a game on those than on steam)

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2011, 06:47:09 AM »

But there you are talking on availability of specific games. I'd love to see the Descent trilogy on Steam, though having it on disc and can get it on GoG.com.

Of course it would be nice to have it all in a nice package, but there (probably) is a lot of red tape in between. Apparently GoG.com had a different stand and initially went after games that were all but abandoned (read it somewhere on the forums) and used no-cd cracks to circumvent that archaic form of control.

I suppose Steam goes the safer route and adopts games that are supported by the companies up to a point?

Yeah.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic