Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411608 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58446 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 09, 2024, 03:26:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIndies in an economic downturn
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Indies in an economic downturn  (Read 10089 times)
tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2011, 09:48:14 AM »

Isn't part of being Indie the independence towards monetary issues?

I think you might be confusing "indie games" with "independently wealthy".

It's a common mistake.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2011, 09:54:23 AM »

No. One of the flags of indie-ness is working not for the monies but for the pleasure of creating.

99% of indies have real jobs. I'd bet my but crack on it.

Yeah.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2011, 10:46:21 AM »

i doubt that; 99% of *people* don't even have jobs: there's 22% real unemployment in the US, 8.5% if you use the gov's weak methods where they don't count people who aren't actively looking for a job as unemployed; other countries unemployment rates varies, but in no country is there 99% employment. you also have to consider that many indie developers are too young to have jobs -- some of the best indie games are made by high school and college kids who go to school and make games at the same time. the average age around here is something like 16-17 according to forum polls, which is still high school aged

so i'd say it's more like 50-50, judging from experience and talking to people in tigirc

tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2011, 11:22:44 AM »

One of the flags of indie-ness is working not for the monies but for the pleasure of creating.

You can work for the pleasure of creating & still make a living.

We've discussed this before - doing stuff like polishing a game, making tutorial levels, making a user friendly interface etc so that your game will be sell-able is not the same as making the game just for money, even if you might not have done many or all of these if you didn't need any money at all (after all that's grueling, hard work and mostly benefits new players rather than the creator).

tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2011, 11:24:39 AM »

there's 22% real unemployment in the US, 8.5% if you use the gov's weak methods where they don't count people who aren't actively looking for a job as unemployed; other countries unemployment rates varies, but in no country is there 99% employment.

IIRC ~4% unemployment is considered full-employment in free-market economies.

You only had 99% employment in countries like the Soviet Union, where the government made up busy-work to make sure everyone's got something to do.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic