Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411607 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 11:22:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIncentivized Donations
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Incentivized Donations  (Read 1091 times)
eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2011, 04:36:37 PM »

I'd like to keep my game free on PC/Mac, but I'd also like to get some money. Donations can certainly work, but I'm thinking about incentivizing donations without punishing non-donators. In particular I don't want to limit the game too much, if at all. What kind of incentives would you find acceptable?

I'm releasing on a 6 week schedule. Donators get the latest version, non-donators get the previous version.
and/or Donators get a special sprite pack that allows you to play hard mode in winter.
and/or Donators get a special 'wizard' mode that allows limited editing of the game world.
and/or Etc...?

Furthermore I'm considering 'selling' the donation-bonus version via portals like Desura and Indievania, although I don't think I can set a pay what you can model.

What is a good way to encourage donations without splitting your game into 'lite' and full versions?

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
Leroy Binks
Level 0

Team Lead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 05:23:31 PM »

I'm glad someone posted this topic.  While I feel an advanced copy of the game is donation worthy, a demo or lite version is not. 

I like any sort of physical reward versus entirely digital ones.  Backgrounds or mp3 is in reality worth very little and doesn't make it off of your donor's computer, but a mini-poster or a key chain takes advertising for your game out into the world, which is one of the underrated results of group funding incentives.

There are plenty of pixelated programmers pounding out products of peculiar playability at a prolific pace with purported profits.

This reply has been brought to you today by the letter "P"
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 01:26:27 PM »

Hmm, that is really stretching the definition of donation, heh.
Why are you so scared of selling your game? Sure, a free game feels more... cool? indie? artistic? I would think. But if you need money, then leverage it. Smiley

Of course you can have both a free version and a non free version. But I wouldn't call it donations if you get incentive... That might even have legal issues.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 02:46:15 PM by PompiPompi » Logged

Master of all trades.
Uykered
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 05:33:04 PM »

Why can't you just have a minimum pay what you want thing, instead of donations? And a free version along side that.
eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 05:37:42 PM »

Why can't you just have a minimum pay what you want thing, instead of donations? And a free version along side that.

I like this. Does anyone know of any portals that support pay what you want? I'd rather not have to setup my own e-commerce thingamagig.

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
Leroy Binks
Level 0

Team Lead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 06:42:25 PM »

I like this. Does anyone know of any portals that support pay what you want? I'd rather not have to setup my own e-commerce thingamagig.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=22080.0 

Somewhere in this thread....

There are plenty of pixelated programmers pounding out products of peculiar playability at a prolific pace with purported profits.

This reply has been brought to you today by the letter "P"
TylerYork
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 11:00:45 AM »

Kingdom Rush (http://armorgames.com/play/12141/kingdom-rush) uses this tactic to great affect. I am pretty sure the game has made a lot of money. Here's what they do:

• The entire game is free
  • You can get some cool things for going Premium, including more upgrade stars and cool Star Wars skins for your troops
  • When you click to "buy" Premium, they actually ask for a donation.
  • The donation can be $0, BUT because you've already pre-selected to buy Premium, you likely pay anyways.
  • You can pay the minimum ($1) or as much as you want. They tell you that you're super cool if you pay $3 and that you're their biggest fan if you pay them $5.

I would strongly recommend checking out their Freemium flow and emulating them

I work for Betable, a game monetization platform. I also write about startups, gaming, and marketing.
mikejkelley
Level 1

DreamCaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 02:41:05 PM »

Incentivize your donation with a donation. Ie, a certain amount of the proceeds go towards a charity. That way you're actually doing something
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic