Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411608 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58446 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 09, 2024, 01:46:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWaiting for an email...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Waiting for an email...  (Read 1889 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: November 14, 2011, 12:52:55 PM »

I have been developing a game called "Fatal Wars 2" which is kind of a clone of the old Archon. A game of two armies on a chess-like board only that when two pieces go on the same spot, instead of automatic death there is a battle in a seperate areana.
Now, I realize my game is very similar to Archon and I was afraid to get sued, so I decided to contact the creators of Archon and ask them for permission\license for their Archon game.
They seem like really nice people and really not corporate\formal from their website(http://www.freefallgames.com/).
So I sent them an email, and they got back to me saying they are swamped with work and they would try to get back to me next week. Meanwhile, a month have passed, and no email from them. Eventhough I kind of emailed(spammed?) their mail box.
Hmm, maybe they are in a convention or very busy(to be honest, you can check email on a phone nowadays?).
I don't know what to do.

I think they might make a deal with me about licensing Archon. And I think they are just terribley busy.
But waiting for a month is kind of painful. Heh.
Especially if I don't know if I will have to cancel my game, so working on it is pointless.

I just spend the nights refreshing my mail boxes, hoping to see something. Kind of bummed. heh.

Master of all trades.
Leroy Binks
Level 0

Team Lead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 04:24:31 PM »

How alike is your game to Archon?  Is it possible to exploit some of your difference to play up the fact that it is not Archon?  After all, chess has been around a lot longer and there are countless chess-type games throughout the years. 

There are plenty of pixelated programmers pounding out products of peculiar playability at a prolific pace with purported profits.

This reply has been brought to you today by the letter "P"
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 04:32:40 PM »

Hmm, it's pretty similar. Like, almost the same game except for some small modifications and different visuals\characters. XD

Master of all trades.
mikejkelley
Level 1

DreamCaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 05:23:02 PM »

According to the U.S. Copyright Office:

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl108.html

Copyright does not protect the idea for a game, its name or title, or the method or methods for playing it. Nor does copyright protect any idea, system, method, device, or trademark material involved in developing, merchandising, or playing a game. Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles. Copyright protects only the particular manner of an author’s expression in literary, artistic, or musical form.

Material prepared in connection with a game may be subject to copyright if it contains a sufficient amount of literary or pictorial expression. For example, the text matter describing the rules of the game or the pictorial matter appearing on the gameboard or container may be registrable.

In summation (but don't rely upon this as I'm not a lawyer), you can't copyright the game mechanics. Only the character, visuals, story, etc.,... ie, the stuff that would carry over into a book or movie adaptation.

//That being said, it doesn't mean you're in the clear as there are a number of craaaaazy (taxi) game mechanic patents.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 06:14:50 PM by mikejkelley » Logged
Nix
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 06:38:28 PM »

No, but you can patent them
mikejkelley
Level 1

DreamCaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 07:05:02 PM »

//That being said, it doesn't mean you're in the clear as there are a number of craaaaazy (taxi) game mechanic patents.
« Last Edit: Today at 06:14:50 PM by mikejkelley »
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 11:36:44 PM »

I think the fact the game is from 1983, might make the patents obselete already. But I am not sure. :/ I can look for patents on the game...

Master of all trades.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 07:45:56 AM »

I don't think you should have contacted them. Too late now.
The concept is rather vague and it's more a gameply feature than a setting/scenario feature (gameplay can not be copyrighted or is difficult to defend)
I'm sure there have been other games with this mechanic.
Also they don't look like they really care about videogames anymore
("swamped with work"? lol)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 11:58:40 AM »

Well, I got a reply.
They don't agree for me to work on this game because Archon is licensed for at least the next year. :/

Master of all trades.
Nix
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 12:32:49 PM »

I don't think you should have contacted them. Too late now.
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 09:32:28 AM »

I agree with the no contact thing. It's easier to seek forgiveness than permission.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 06:56:37 AM »

Do us a favor a post a video of your game in action. Let us be the judges.

Of course "the man" wouldn't want another player in their field. It was to be expected you'd get that reply. Remember the clash between Capcom and Data East because of similarities between Street Fighter and Fighter's History?

Yeah.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic