Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411607 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 08:41:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessSeeking advice on what to do next.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Seeking advice on what to do next.  (Read 2410 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: November 17, 2011, 12:06:17 PM »

Ok, so my Archon like game is not going to be released due to copyrights issues.
It was the perfect game because it didn't take long to code(2, 3 months) and didn't require a lot of Archon. And was totally fun and also I liked it.

I have another project going on which is Dojo Invaders. A tiny game for the Android. The problem is that I don't owe an Android device right now and it's not fun to develop on an emulator.

So, I want to think of a new project to take.

The first thing that comes to my mind is a game I have been thinking to make. It's a beat-em up, kind of like Final Fight, only with a beat-em up game mechanics that I don't think anyone used before.
I wanted to make this in Orthogonal 3D. Which is simpler than 3D. Basically the characters are rendered in 3D but the background is 2D.
So I guess it's easier than full 3D(never go full 3D!).
My estimate is that this game is going to take more than 3 months to make, and it will take even longer if I will do all the art work myself.
But it's a game I am kind of excited about.

Maybe I can think of a whole new game, which will be 2D and not too complex but tons of fun. Something like Archon, but, err completely different. Just the same scope.

What do you suggest?
I think the big question is, should I do something that is more promising fincancially(both in success when released and both more effective in time spent on it).
Or something that I am more excited about. Although long development time can really kill motivation. And if no one likes my game, it's even more of a motivation killer.

Looking for advice.

Master of all trades.
Moczan
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 04:17:57 PM »

Change those bits that are protected by copyrights and release the Archon-like game first.
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 05:19:47 PM »

For the love of god, salvage the game you have done already.
mikejkelley
Level 1

DreamCaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 06:44:55 PM »

You need to revisit these "copyright issues." What is the issue? If they are unwilling to license you the Archon name and character/environment/etc. likenesses, then don't use the name or likenesses. They can't (don't rely on this as I'm not a lawyer) prevent you from using the Archon game mechanic on copyright grounds (patent, perhaps, though doubtful).

My recommendation is to make use of whatever free legal services you can find on the net. Ask in legal forums, not gaming forums.

W/ that said, if you decide to go the route of the fighting game, I have a few relevant .bip files I'd be happy to share with you.
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 07:29:51 PM »

Yeah I really don't see how your game could be so similar to Archon that copyright would be an issue.

If it's the case that it's a chess+fighting for square control game then you should be in the clear

If you copied all the move abilities exactly from Archon then just change them around a bit and you should be in the clear.
Uykered
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 11:30:12 PM »

Make what ever you want.
leonelc29
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 03:40:37 AM »

why not add something in it instead of giving it up entirely? like, since you're going to make a fighting game, why not adding the fighting element into your archon-like game? made it into player controlled fight when the chess piece meet.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 05:09:35 AM »

Well, you made me think how can I change the Archon-like game so it won't be Archon-like.
So, the idea I had is to actually turn it into a card game. There will be monster cards and maybe power ups cards and etc, and when monsters battle it turns into a battle areana(with other supportive cards).
The only issue is thinking how to make the card-part fun and balanced. Sadly I am not such an expert of board and card games. Although I did play magic a long time ago.
Other ideas were to turn it into an RPG, and when you fight a monster it turns into a battle areana. But I don't think it's a good idea.
Another was make it risk with areana battles.
I think the cards idea is the best.

@Leonelc
I have a clear vision of the beat-em up game, so it's not going to be like the fatal wars, battle wise.

Master of all trades.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 06:23:40 AM »

Maybe you aren't understanding.  Gameplay CAN NOT be protected by copyright.  So long as you don't use the name Archon (which would be a trademark issue) or use protected assets (graphics, sounds, music), you can make whatever game you want to make.

So, your next step is to make your game.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 07:07:18 AM »

They told me I can't make the game even if the title is not Archon(which is not).
I don't want to enter an episode of legal battle. Basically one can sue for whatever reason, whether justified or not.

Master of all trades.
Liosan
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 07:09:34 AM »

They told me I can't make the game even if the title is not Archon(which is not).
Who is 'they'? Did 'they' present any reason? What wording did 'they' use?

What Fallsburg says is 100% true. Ideas cannot be copyrighted.

Liosan

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 07:33:43 AM »

They are "FreeFall games", the husband and wife and the original creators of the classic Archon.
I have the decided to change the game enough so it won't be so similar, even revamp all the creatures. Not a card game though, card games look boring(at least they look boring before you even play it).
So yea, I am going to redesign Fatal Wars 2, this time with more of my original ideas.

Master of all trades.
Leroy Binks
Level 0

Team Lead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 02:06:32 PM »

I can't find the name of it but I used to have a set of cards that modified a chess game.  I really enjoyed it.  You played chess like you normally would, but you could throw a card to make an effect of change.  Swap pieces, change a piece type, lose a turn, get a turn.  You could make your event screen for things like this.  Call it cards or spells or whatever.  Keep the chess dynamic, just make it more dynamic!

There are plenty of pixelated programmers pounding out products of peculiar playability at a prolific pace with purported profits.

This reply has been brought to you today by the letter "P"
RudyTheDev
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 06:59:31 AM »

Call it cards or spells or whatever.

Just, whatever you do, don't call is "Scrolls"

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 07:38:49 AM »

I can't find the name of it but I used to have a set of cards that modified a chess game.  I really enjoyed it.  You played chess like you normally would, but you could throw a card to make an effect of change.  Swap pieces, change a piece type, lose a turn, get a turn.  You could make your event screen for things like this.  Call it cards or spells or whatever.  Keep the chess dynamic, just make it more dynamic!
knightmare chess?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Leroy Binks
Level 0

Team Lead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 03:21:03 PM »

YES! Thank you.  The game is in storage and I kept searching for Knight Chess online but I knew that was wrong.  That game actually gives me a chance at chess.

There are plenty of pixelated programmers pounding out products of peculiar playability at a prolific pace with purported profits.

This reply has been brought to you today by the letter "P"
SureshVS
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 09:58:05 PM »

I guess the issue is because you already contacted them asking for permission, and they said no. There really was no need to ask. Imagine Epic or Valve had originally gone to id asking for "permission" to make an FPS. People get nervous when you ask for permission, because it's almost like you yourself suspect that there's some issue there and you want to check.

Anyway, whatever project you're working on next, don't worry about copying gameplay mechanics. If that were possible, the makers of "Crush the Castle" could have sued Rovio for Angry Birds Smiley. So, it doesn't really matter. Of course, if you made a game that used the same 'characters' as Angry Birds, then you should be worried. Otherwise, just enjoy and make your game  Grin

Co-Founder, Agni Studios
www.agnistudios.com
thedomaginarium
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 09:18:41 PM »

Maybe you aren't understanding.  Gameplay CAN NOT be protected by copyright.  So long as you don't use the name Archon (which would be a trademark issue) or use protected assets (graphics, sounds, music), you can make whatever game you want to make.

So, your next step is to make your game.

No need to say more. Just look at how many top-down Asteroids-like shooters there are in the market (even my game is an Asteroids-like game, clevery titled SteroidS  Beer! ).

Protecting gameplay using copyright would be anti-competitive. If those could be protected, nobody could do an FPS because id would own the "FPS copyright thing" Just finish the game. You making an Archon-like game is no different to anybody else making a character running and jumping over holes and stuff like Mario Bros (and we all know there are many games that do this), so worry not.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 11:28:22 PM »

Well, first of all, I did make changes so it won't be an exact copy of the game(except for artwork and names). Even if that wasn't necessary legally, I really don't want to piss off people. And just so you would know, you can sue for practically any reason.
I want to avoid getting sued even if I am correct and have done nothing wrong.
Besides, I think it did only good for my game to actually think how to make it different. Smiley

Master of all trades.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic