Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411608 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58446 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 09, 2024, 02:45:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhy Bundles and Steam Sales Aren’t Good for Most Indies
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Author Topic: Why Bundles and Steam Sales Aren’t Good for Most Indies  (Read 16385 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: December 06, 2011, 07:09:02 AM »

This is only the fourth bundle I have seen. The third one being over here with McPixel in it, which I think wasn't a very serious attempt to make a lot of money. (I am not sure it got much exposure outside TIGSource).
And the Gala Bundle got Saria, which is a game by Nifflas, so I don't think all the games there suck.
Are there other bundles out there?

Master of all trades.
bluescrn
Level 1

Unemployed Coder / Full-time Indie :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: December 06, 2011, 07:46:38 AM »

This is only the fourth bundle I have seen.

No, you mean this is the 4th bundling organisation. Not counting Steam sales, which are in some way similar.

We've got Humble Bundle releasing a non-stop stream of bundles recently, and Indie Royale now doing the same.

And all these gamers with maybe 50+ indie games sat in Steam that they picked up for maybe $0.25 each, looking at new indie games and saying 'I'm not going to pay $10 for that... I'll just pick it up when it's bundled'

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: December 06, 2011, 09:46:59 AM »

This is only the fourth bundle I have seen.

No, you mean this is the 4th bundling organisation

It's wrong too, there is a lot more bundles, but most of them aren't very popular so ordinary ppl don't hear about them. I'm an owner of a indie games website and I'm interested in these things, there were more bundles than 4 and more authors of bundles than 4, I'm sure of it.

That's what I meant earlier:
And all these gamers with maybe 50+ indie games sat in Steam that they picked up for maybe $0.25 each, looking at new indie games and saying 'I'm not going to pay $10 for that... I'll just pick it up when it's bundled'

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2011, 01:15:16 PM »

Someone tell me when the wofflawoflle voxelly game gets sold on his website so I can say a big F.U. to the bundle system. thanks

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: December 06, 2011, 04:00:41 PM »

Bundles don't devalue indie games. As said a little above, bandwagon jumping devalues games. Bundles had mostly really good games that were already doing fine, were on Steam and elsewhere. Now you start to get crappier games you've never heard about, more competition, subsequently lower prices and, after initial impressions, lower expectations.

We had a good few years this time around, didn't we?

Welcome to the twilight of the indie golden age of the late '00s/early '10s.

See you again in 10 years!

Booger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 06, 2011, 09:56:37 PM »

We had a good few years this time around, didn't we?

Welcome to the twilight of the indie golden age of the late '00s/early '10s.

See you again in 10 years!

I missed the train...  Cry  and to think I got into the hobby in 2006, I could have gotten at least one commercial game out.

There was that extremely narrow window that started between when the App Store opened and when Unity went free that was like, "Yeah, it's easier to make a game!" but then hundreds of thousands (millions?) of other people have started making games...

Prices immediately plummeted, and customer expectations sky-rocketed.

So what do we do?  Should we just sit on our games rather than throwing it into the ocean and letting it sink to the bottom?  If I wait 10 years the platforms, operating systems, and technologies would have changed, although the quality bar isn't going to be raised any further now that the industry is weakened and mostly out of cash.
tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: December 07, 2011, 12:43:49 AM »

I missed the train...  Cry  and to think I got into the hobby in 2006, I could have gotten at least one commercial game out.

Nah, don't take my comment so literally. Give it a shot, there is always a chance.

If I wait 10 years the platforms, operating systems, and technologies would have changed, although the quality bar isn't going to be raised any further now that the industry is weakened and mostly out of cash.

I don't see why you think the quality bar wouldn't be raised any further? Tech still gets easier to use all the time, pretty sure the bar will continue rising.

Just release your game when it's done, you can't count on stuff like that.

And there are always new "good times" - we've been through at least two in the past decade or so already: the explosion of downloadables in the early 2000s and the current indie golden age (hopefully it will last a little while longer before the inevitable cyclic demise).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 06:24:30 AM by tametick » Logged

cliffski
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: December 07, 2011, 02:18:11 AM »

Every time I see a new bundle it's like a hit in my possibility of selling a game on my own, meh.

You can still do it. I still sell copies of Gratuitous Space Battles and Democracy 2 every day from my site at $20 a time. You just need to work really hard to make a high quality game, and not be distracted by some of the bundled shovelware.

www.positech.co.uk Maker of Democracy Kudos and Gratuitous Space Battles for the PC. owner of showmethegames.com.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: December 07, 2011, 03:34:50 AM »

This is only the fourth bundle I have seen. The third one being over here with McPixel in it, which I think wasn't a very serious attempt to make a lot of money. (I am not sure it got much exposure outside TIGSource).
And the Gala Bundle got Saria, which is a game by Nifflas, so I don't think all the games there suck.
Are there other bundles out there?

i'd estimate that there have been over 50 different indie game bundles in the last year. what are you talking about fourth one? that's crazy

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: December 07, 2011, 06:22:28 AM »

So what do we do?  Should we just sit on our games rather than throwing it into the ocean and letting it sink to the bottom?  If I wait 10 years the platforms, operating systems, and technologies would have changed, although the quality bar isn't going to be raised any further now that the industry is weakened and mostly out of cash.
Go to the Tigsource main page. Scroll to the very bottom of the page.

MattG
Level 5

Pictures Of Trains

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 07, 2011, 06:26:56 AM »

bundle vomit
bluescrn
Level 1

Unemployed Coder / Full-time Indie :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: December 07, 2011, 06:31:38 AM »

Another day, another bundle - 'Little Big Bunch': http://www.develop-online.net/news/39286/Indie-charity-bundle-adopts-Radiohead-price-policy

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: December 07, 2011, 06:36:39 AM »

This is getting ridiculous. Also, I like how that article says they're adopting a "Radiohead price policy". Yes, because Radiohead inspired this, not the 1000 other indie games bundles. Facepalm

EDIT: Also, the site apparently isn't up and running yet. A bit too fast on the marketing trigger?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: December 07, 2011, 06:37:51 AM »

Indies want to be mainstream! 2012 is true!  Crazy

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: December 07, 2011, 06:46:09 AM »

Indies want to be mainstream! 2012 is true!  Crazy
I don't know what you're talking about, I was talking about the robot on the blog page

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: December 07, 2011, 07:16:07 AM »

i thought he was suggesting we all make android games (the bottom of the page is a review of an android game)

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: December 07, 2011, 07:22:31 AM »

_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: December 07, 2011, 07:51:36 AM »

I don't know what you're talking about, I was talking about the robot on the blog page

Oh, I just meant that the world is about to finish because indies are interested in success before self-realization (as the robot suggests), becoming mainstream  Beer!

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: December 07, 2011, 07:55:31 AM »

"Make the games you want to make"
This is a post business message.
Business is dead. Stop running after the latest gold rush. Stop making crap games for a dolla.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: December 07, 2011, 08:20:38 AM »

Business is dead. Stop running after the latest gold rush. Stop making crap games for a dolla.
What's funniest, this motto is actually the best basis for running a successful business. At least in the niche markets.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic