Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411607 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 09:28:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessLet's work together!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Let's work together!  (Read 2748 times)
Bunkerface
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2011, 04:01:03 AM »

Hey there,

My name is Frank Dokter, I work for Cynicalbrit.com(John “Totalbiscuit” Bain is my boss) and I’ve come here with a request, an offer or whatever you want to call it.

Some of you might have heard of our WTF is? series on our youtube channel Totalhalibut, it’s a quicklook type video series where we do first impressions of all types of different games. We’ve done videos on school projects, independent games, free or freemium games and high profile releases.
But what I want to talk to you guys about is ofcourse independent games. We’ve featured many independently created games on our channel in the past and will continue to do so in the future. But we’d really like to work together with you guys to see what we can do better, what other games we could cover and to get feedback on the videos we’ve done featuring your games. I’m also here to figure out what would be a good time to feature your(yeah you) game on our channel, balancing the release date, completeness and marketing pushes. If you are interested, then don't hesitate to contact me so we figure out what we can do for eachother. The WTF is? videos aren’t the only thing we do though, we also have our Hyper WTF is? series, the only difference being that this includes someone from the dev team, developer interviews and a brand new series that is coming soon. As not every game is going to work in a first impressions type video, a good example being Skyrim, we can almost always discuss other options, like a video with three developers and John playing Dungeon Defenders.

What you can expect from us is honesty, in the videos itself and towards you, we don’t mince words or start a video with the preconceived notion that “the game will probably suck”. We are also open to any corrections if we got something wrong or miss something, and will annotate the video and/or mention it in the next mailbox.

If you have any private questions or comments you’d like to make please contact me at [email protected].

Thank you for your time,

-Frank Dokter
Publicity Liaison Cynicalbrit.com
twitter.com/bunkerface

TLDR:
Work with us so we can make better videos of your game, k?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 04:30:14 AM by Bunkerface » Logged
mikejkelley
Level 1

DreamCaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 11:52:26 PM »

Sounds good! I'm not at the advertising stage, but down the road I can definitely see this happening! Thnx!
Bunkerface
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 06:46:37 AM »

Sounds good! I'm not at the advertising stage, but down the road I can definitely see this happening! Thnx!

That's... a crazy premise for a game, I love it! Looking forward to seeing the game closer to release.
eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 07:11:55 AM »

Are there any kinds of games you don't like? I'd love for you to try my game, but it's usually a love it or hate it kind of proposition (lots of 1 star and 5 star reviews), and aimed at a slightly more hardcore market.

Yeah, any kinds of games you dislike? Kinds of games you favour?

BTW, I'm in Chai-Na so I can't even check your U-Toob channel to see what its like Tongue Bloody Sensoursheep...

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
st33d
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 08:20:10 AM »

Mine's not finished, but fairly playable.
Bunkerface
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 01:32:11 PM »

Well, straight up point & clicks are usually not a good idea as John is rather bad at them and just gets frustrated most of the time. I look at every game presented to us though and pass on anything that would be a good choice for us and the developer to feature.

Mine's not finished, but fairly playable.

I'd rather wait until the game is a little further along as alot of the features aren't clear yet and we'd rather be able to link to a product our audience is able to play either at the time we release the video or shortly after. A large part of our audience aren't hardcore Roguelike players so clear instructions are almost a requirement. The game as it stands also doesn't have enough variety in content for a full 15-20 minute video, but we might be doing a few multiple game WTF is? videos in the future where we could feature the game.

Are there any kinds of games you don't like? I'd love for you to try my game, but it's usually a love it or hate it kind of proposition (lots of 1 star and 5 star reviews), and aimed at a slightly more hardcore market.

Yeah, any kinds of games you dislike? Kinds of games you favour?

BTW, I'm in Chai-Na so I can't even check your U-Toob channel to see what its like Tongue Bloody Sensoursheep...

There aren't really any games we absolutely don't cover as I've said before, but we do sometimes choose to not cover a game because it'd make a bad video or because of quality reasons. I've just checked out Mysterious Castle, it looks interesting and we might feature it in a multiple game WTF is? episode we might start doing in the future.

We absolutely don't favour one type of game over another though, we always atleast try to be as objective as possible.
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 01:52:11 PM »

This is a really nice thing of you to do, I have enjoyed TotalBiscuit's videos here and there and it's cool to see this proactive reaching out to the dev community.

People should definitely try to take advantage of this! It's a good opportunity imo.
RudyTheDev
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 01:57:56 PM »

This is a really nice thing of you to do, I have enjoyed TotalBiscuit's videos here and there and it's cool to see this proactive reaching out to the dev community.

What he said. Hand Thumbs Up Left

eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 07:13:16 PM »

Cool  Hand Thumbs Up Right Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Left

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
bauer
Level 1

Codes games & makes music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 12:38:09 AM »

Cool, great initiative, welcome to TIG! I've met John irl, he's a funny bloke. Beer!

st33d
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 05:37:34 AM »

but we might be doing a few multiple game WTF is? videos in the future where we could feature the game.

I'll wait thanks. I actually work for a casual games company, so I'm pretty au fait with trying not to drop people in at the deep end. I'll post a reminder when it's nearer completion. There's lot more content to go in yet.
Bunkerface
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 06:08:13 AM »

Thank you guys for all the emails you've sent my way already!

As most of the submissions aren't titles we can do a normal video on we're seriously considering doing a few multi-game videos, maybe genre by genre but we'll see. I'll keep you guys updated.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 07:06:40 AM »

Hi Bunkerface,
it is a really healthy thing of you guys to do, just confirming my interest.
My current project is an action-puzzler with original mechanics. Here is a short vid-tutorial- and play-example:

I will soon provide a tutorial-demo to check whether the tutorial-levels are teaching you well, so I am also interested in feedback of it if you don't mind. I want the final game to be flawless.

I will contact you then if you don't mind when the time is right.

Thanks mate;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 07:33:14 AM by J-Snake » Logged

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Bunkerface
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 03:47:50 PM »

Hi Bunkerface,
it is a really healthy thing of you guys to do, just confirming my interest.
My current project is an action-puzzler with original mechanics. Here is a short vid-tutorial- and play-example:

I will soon provide a tutorial-demo to check whether the tutorial-levels are teaching you well, so I am also interested in feedback of it if you don't mind. I want the final game to be flawless.

I will contact you then if you don't mind when the time is right.

Thanks mate;)

Looks like a really fun game! Watch out with using Donkey Kong music though, Nintendo really doesn't take kindly to that kind of stuff.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 06:46:14 PM »

Cool, thanks. It would surely be fun watching how you guys approach the game:)

Btw. Have you heard of any consequence which might occur once Nintendo discovers it? I am considering to delete some of the stuff when the game goes to release.

The actual game will have original music, of course.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Bunkerface
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 06:42:06 AM »

They've sent out C&D's in the past, it's just always better to use non-licensed music or stuff you've commissioned/made yourself.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 03:05:26 PM »

I've got an episodic action-adventure game series you might like to check out.  The first season is playable at my website, and the second season is currently in development, and will begin in January.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic