Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411609 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: NESIA

May 09, 2024, 07:32:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusiness"F*ck You, Pay Me"
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "F*ck You, Pay Me"  (Read 2158 times)
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2011, 01:22:11 PM »

Money is always touchy business, especially between indies who don't have a lot of cash.

If you're offering your services as an artist, programmer, whatever - watch this:

It's geared towards 'creatives' but I highly recommend anyone who freelances out (especially to larger companies) to take a listen. This also can help you 'set the bar' for payment agreements between, eg. programmers and artists.

Gentleman Hand Money Right
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 02:26:57 PM »

All great advice, but I think most of it is pretty overkill for collaborations on indie games. Definitely stuff to think about though. Thanks for posting!

Attila0413
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 02:28:51 PM »

Nice talk, thank you!

Fortunately, as an independent contractor (programmer), I've always had wonderful clients that always paid me at the right time

Moczan
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 04:13:54 PM »

I'm in the middle of watching it, but I would like to share my experience so far.

I'm freelancing as a programmer since May this year, I know it's not a long time, but so far I've always ended up working with great people, who payed me instantly without any problems. I guess that working with smaller companies/other creative individuals is much safer than big corporations.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 08:05:46 PM »

or maybe you've just gotten lucky

Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 08:25:56 PM »

When freelance coding I just charge by the hour and retain all source rights (which they can purchase). I invoice them by the week (unless they request otherwise), so I at worst will lose a week of work.

Also any of these issues can be avoided by just solidifying the payment process in your contract. I have an interest clause with monthly reminders. If they bring it up I just jokingly say something to the effect, "you're thinking of getting this for free?".

I'm assuming artists are in much worse negotiating positions since this seems to be a big issues.

I use www.freshbooks.com for accounting/invoicing.

RudyTheDev
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 04:49:49 AM »

Great listen, thanks for sharing. Not so much applicable to most indies working with small teams/projects, but useful nevertheless. Certainly a few takeaway home pointers.

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 07:01:49 AM »

Oh man, I've been there before. Used to work contract jobs in a small design studio. These issues were always coming up. You'd be amazed just how often clients would muddy the waters whenever the issue of money came up. It was like pulling teeth sometimes.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic