Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411704 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58455 Members - Latest Member: roeyskatt

May 20, 2024, 04:09:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessMake a Flash, sponsored version of my paid iOS game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Make a Flash, sponsored version of my paid iOS game?  (Read 1761 times)
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2012, 04:05:23 AM »

(Posted this in the FTP thread, but it's more appropriate in here)

I'm kinda thinking of sponsoring my iOS game, since I'm not having a success with the sales. Being a paid app should I do it? And if so should I limit in functionality (e.g. Achievements, Leader-boards) or it should behave identical to the iOS version? I'm not worried about if this will further impact the sales of the iOS version, but I don't want to be flipping the bird for those who brought the game on an iOS device.

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 04:11:20 PM »

There are lots of games that do this so I wouldn't think it would be a problem.  People seem to be pretty used to it, they are paying for the priviladge of getting to play it on the go I guess.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 09:52:32 AM »

Alright, thanks, now that I remember Angry Birds is also paid for mobile, non-paid for web. I'm still pondering if I should do this while I'm doing my next game since it's literally a few hours' job, but your answer helped on my reasoning. Smiley

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 03:23:28 PM »

Having a free flash version of the game allows you to use it as a means of promoting the iOS version, as well as putting your game and your name in front of more people. It's what I'm hoping to do with the game I'm currently working on once it's finished.

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 10:40:38 AM »

This sounds like a good strategy to me, for all of the above reasons. Go for it! I don't think you'd need to worry about getting it sponsored though - at least don't go for an exclusivity deal. If you want to draw users to the paid game, it probably pays to have it in as many places at once, and probably not site-locked either, so it's easy to spread. As long as the game contains links to the App Store version, that could be really helpful for getting exposure for the game Smiley)

Xienen
Level 3

Greater Good Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 07:10:49 PM »

We've been debating going this route, as well.  I think it's frickin perfect...now I just gotta get my business partner on board!

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 12:44:52 PM »

Oh and as far as sponsors caring about it being an iphone game in my experience most sponsors don't care (even if you put links to the iphone version in game) because the markets are so different (people aren't leaving their website to go play the game on their iphone, they just might play it on their iphone later)
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 02:59:58 PM »

Yea, Kingdom Rush does this. I think both versions are the same, and the both have microtransactions.
The iPhone game is $0.99.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 01:39:03 PM »

Thanks everybody, I'm totally going for it then. Smiley
I've a doubt though. I'm using FGL to find a sponsor, but since I want a non-exclusive license only should I use the Game Shop or should I bid the game anyway?

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 04:08:03 PM »

you don't want a non-exclusive license online. You can get a primary or exclusive license and still sell the game on iphone/android.  The contracts only give them rights to web distribution which your iphone/android game will not be.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic