Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 05:38:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsExcruciating Guitar Voyage - platform/puzzle/adventure [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Excruciating Guitar Voyage - platform/puzzle/adventure [FINISHED]  (Read 3552 times)
floatstarpx
Level 1

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2010, 01:23:18 AM »

EXCRUCIATING GUITAR VOYAGE
A platform-puzzle-adventure
WE FINISHED DEVELOPING THE GAME, AWESOME!!!!

LATEST TRAILER

GAME IS OUT ON X360 INDIE, AND PC!.. more info  & buy here
ONLY $3 (about £2)

Excruciating Guitar Voyage is a platform-puzzle-adventure game by wickedworx games. We're working on this as a very small team, but we hope it's got a hint of a big feel about it.

Set yourself on fire, electrocute yourself, collect items, talk to a bunch of weirdos, and much more to get yourself through Excruciating Guitar Voyage.

CELEBRATORY GAME IS FINISHED PICTURES

soundtrack by underground noisers kieronononon
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 07:26:47 AM by floatstarpx » Logged
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 02:58:54 AM »

This is a technical community, you aren't gonna scare anybody here! Gentleman

That said, you use real portraits on your sprites? Is this player-defined, too?

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 06:20:57 AM »

I like component-based designs. Why the two threads though, what's the benefit? It seems to be just a huge hassle to keep everything synchronized.
UnemployedVillain
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 08:06:34 AM »

render side is (pretty much) read only, so there's no real worries there. - as long as you make sure your render side stays read only, and that you don't pull the rug out from under anything while its rendering (it's ok to move things about by 1 frame's worth while rendering, generally...this doesn't tend to notice).

Ahh, I was about to ask about this myself but this makes sense. Does rendering really take that much time? I didn't realize that it could cause such a significant framerate jump by giving it it's own thread
slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 08:59:18 AM »

The video looks pretty cool, I remember coming across you blog before. I suppose you aren't using Chipmunk anymore if you have a 360 version.

You should look into adding shadow casting to your lights for your next version. We did in Twilight Golf and it's a pretty awesome looking effect:

It's not too hard to implement, though it uses a lot of fillrate.

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 02:07:46 PM »

This is a well written article: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/2dsoftshadow/ Not exactly what we did in Twilight Golf, but pretty similar. I used the stencil buffer for masking when I first figured out how to implement it, but you can easily use the destination alpha if you don't have stenciling.

The article also talks about soft shadows, but I was never able to get it to work very well and it prevents you from doing a lot of optimizations. Even if you do the fin clipping like they talk about, it never looked right to me. I sort of like the hard edged look anyway.

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
floatstarpx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 01:07:53 PM »

we've just done a new trailer...
we're getting really close to finishing this thing off! it's exciting watching all the pieces fall in to place!

floatstarpx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 03:29:05 AM »

we've spent the last week or so polishing the game, and it scripts.. other than that we've been recording dialogue. there's a lot of dialogue to record, but we've had some very helpful volunteers and things are coming along well!
floatstarpx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 01:16:52 AM »

we're now only 2 character voices away from a finished game!
some new screenshots:

floatstarpx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 02:24:29 AM »

some "behind the scenes" shots:

Dan Flashbang recording

Bruce (the robot)
floatstarpx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 06:30:12 AM »

and we're FINISHED.
now just sorting out distribution!

XBLI is sorted, as we just have to get through peer review.. we're just looking at PC distribution solutions, also.
floatstarpx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 03:16:25 AM »

HOORAY!!! EGV is now out on X360 Indie... we're still wanting to release this on PC too, so hopefully we'll sort that soon, also!!
floatstarpx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 07:28:26 AM »

HOORAY AGAIN, we've released the game for PC ourselves on our website!
it's only $3, this is about £2.
It's well worth it (I think), and it's awesome.

We got made "xbli game of the week" by dealspwn .. this is good!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic