Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 07:20:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingI am Telekinetic
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: I am Telekinetic  (Read 7715 times)
spinachthief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 03:35:14 AM »

That was neat.  I didn't realize until the final room after the rushing bugs that what I wanted was for the telekinesis focus to hover when it reaches the clicked point.  That might take away from the feel somehow though.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 08:41:55 AM »

For the final version, I'm considering not even having a projectile; instead, you just fire the laser at the mouse cursor. It might take a little away from the game's uniqueness, but it would make it easier to control, which means I can make more devilish levels.

Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 07:36:37 AM »

I think that psychic energy with recoil sounded cool, but I failed to execute this game in Windows XP. When starting, the "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem" said "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction", then I tried some compatibility modes but the strange behavior kept behaving.

Is this coded in assembly language by any chance? That would be cool Smiley

Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 12:04:16 PM »

download doesn't work
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 04:55:35 PM »

That is odd. It's coded in Game Maker, which is about as far from assembly language as you can get.

Kegluneq: Here's a mirror.

Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2009, 05:10:59 PM »

Great job, I love how his hat goes flying if he dies. I wouldn't take out the projectile though, that's part of what makes it hard. If I could fire the giant laser beam instantly then this would be much easier.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 02:10:11 PM »

...which means I could make the obstacles harder!  Corny Laugh

Hattorifaith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2009, 12:16:22 AM »

...which means I could make the obstacles harder!  Corny Laugh
You COULD make two different characters, one with a weaker/faster 'bounce' that's instant, and one with the projectile and harder 'bounce', and have two different storylines. But then again, maybe that's a bit much.

I love how the character looks now. Very Noir, as is the city.  Noir
Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2009, 11:39:30 AM »

That is odd. It's coded in Game Maker, which is about as far from assembly language as you can get.

Kegluneq: Here's a mirror.

That file from the mirror works for me too! I'm going to try it out.

I've made some investigation and apparently the file I first downloaded became corrupt when my web browser got it, I think it's because the EXE file path (in the first link) actually returns a HTML file from host-a.net. (The browser I used then was Firefox 2, now I tried Opera which found that it was HTML instead of EXE.)

About the assembly question; when I saw the color scheme in the screenshot, and then Windows interpreted the (corrupt) file as 16-bit it seemed like a 16-bit assembly game palette color mode ^_^

Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2009, 12:27:02 PM »

The jump mechanic is quite innovative, the only game that comes to my mind is YMM's FLaiL though the arrow keys were used there. I think the game mechanic when the player character becomes red and invulnerable after double jumping is fun!

Have you thought about clicking in the direction to double jump (instead of the opposite), to make it easier to aim?

The color scheme actually has its charm, brings some nostalgia. And it's cool how the pool of lethal liquid has eyes.

That's actually the last room. The difficulty's a little over the top there. When I expand this, the difficulty curve will be a little smoother.

I think the difficulty was pretty all right now when we get to restart in the beginning of the screen.

For the final version, I'm considering not even having a projectile; instead, you just fire the laser at the mouse cursor.

I think that sounds like a good idea.

ShawnF
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2009, 02:43:15 PM »

Very cool little game, would love to see it expanded.  A few other thoughts:

- I'd definitely try the easier single-click version of the telekinesis power, but my suspicion is that it won't be as fun. 

- If this ever gets expanded into something larger, adding a few more psychic powers would be freaking awesome.  But uh, that's not really a comment on the game so whatever.

- I really liked the little blocks that you would destroy when your guy was still glowing red.  Great way to make the most out of what was essentially just a feedback mechanism to let players know they already used their power.

- Would love to see lots of other crazy ways your power can interact with the environment if this ever gets expanded.  Like things that actually are affected by the pre-discharge laser, objects that can increase or dampen the recoil effect, whatever.  Lot of milage you can get out of this one mechanic. Smiley

anyway, whoot.  nice game.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic