Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 10:05:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessFirst time on a panel at a seminar..
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: First time on a panel at a seminar..  (Read 775 times)
Moon Goon
Level 1

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2013, 08:05:31 PM »

So, I'm on the panel at a seminar.  I have no idea what that means.

I created a video game based off of a fellows comic book.  The hour long seminar is about the process of "pages to pixels".  The main speaker is the comic book guy.  As the developer of the game I'm on the "panel".

Is there any info about how seminars like this work?  What's expected of a panel member?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

I'm a PEEK'er. I'm a POKE'er. And I'm a midnight coder. I type my programs and hit RUN.

Check out itch.io for my Atari 2600 game ROMs! http://theloon.itch.io/
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 08:17:56 PM »

people ask you questions and you answer them
Moon Goon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 08:32:44 PM »

Thanks for the info.  These people that ask me questions.. does that happen all through the talk, afterwards or in a certain section?

I'm a PEEK'er. I'm a POKE'er. And I'm a midnight coder. I type my programs and hit RUN.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 08:54:21 PM »

That depends on how the talk is structured. The word "panel" can mean a lot of things.

He'll probably talk for a while. If there's a moderator that mod will ask you questions. The audience usually asks questions. The comic book guy might include you on his own. ... Ask someone who knows.
Moon Goon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 09:12:19 AM »

Is this a comic book seminar? If so you should prepare to answer a bunch of simpleton generalised questions like how did you mak gam and wat is sprite.

It's actually at an Arcade Expo.  It sounds like I should still bone up on answering basic questions though.  I've read "Racing the Beam" to prepare.

SterlingDee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 11:14:20 AM »

He'll probably talk for a while. If there's a moderator that mod will ask you questions. The audience usually asks questions. The comic book guy might include you on his own. ... Ask someone who knows.

I was on a panel once and this was essentially the format it took. Introductory comments by the moderator, we each got to introduce ourselves, the moderator asked questions, and then the audience asked questions. Afterwards, there was some casual networking.

The people who organized the panel should at least be giving you the format of the panel before you appear. If they haven't volunteered this information, you can request it.

Here is an example of a game dev panel (it essentially takes the same format as the one I described above):

Motion Logic Studios
2D & 3D Art - AAA Experience, Indie-Friendly Prices
Feel free to email me or connect with me on twitter!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic