Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411561 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 06:14:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessExhibiting at Convention
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Exhibiting at Convention  (Read 1244 times)
James Coote
Level 1

Spoon Thumb

View Profile WWW
« on: March 14, 2013, 05:46:03 AM »

I'm exhibiting at a comic convention this weekend (I have a small dealer tablet), and I'm planning to bring along my OUYA and a TV to demo my gamem on.

Only my game is barely complete and nowhere near polished. I imagined I'd be a lot further along when I originally booked this Tongue

So I was thinking of doing some 'live coding' and giving people the chance to see how indie development happens and be able to see their suggestions directly fed back into the game.

However, my worry is that I'll come off as amateurish and poorly presented. How should I approach this?

Crystalline Green - Android Games Developers
petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 07:40:33 AM »

I guess... trying to stretch what is cool to the limit and then show a small in-game feature saying it is just WIP. By 'what is cool' I mean graphics, concept arts, the cover... whatever it is finished. Smiley

James Coote
Level 1

Spoon Thumb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 03:57:55 PM »

In the end I just showed off the tutorial, rather than doing any live coding, and it worked out great. Despite the game not being complete, people were generally really positive

I wrote up a post-mortem on my blog if anyone is interested in some of the lessons I learned.

Crystalline Green - Android Games Developers
Alberto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 08:20:54 PM »

Nice blog post, thanks for sharing. Those are helpful things to consider when exhibiting since I'll be doing this myself in the near future. I'm also an Ouya developer so this was particularly relevant.

FamousAspect
Level 1

some day you will die

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 12:31:14 PM »

Thanks for the detailed write up on the event. I'll have to revisit your list of what went well/areas for improvement before booking a convention table on my current game.

ColeyWoley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 04:20:50 PM »

Thanks for the post mortem!  We've got a booth at PAX Aus this July.  Its the first time we've done anything like this and I'm worried about effing it up, so, thanks for sharing Smiley

I wouldn't have thought black tablecloths would be a problem, for example...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic