Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411721 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 22, 2024, 12:23:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessCustomer support for games?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Customer support for games?  (Read 1045 times)
yodonome
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2013, 10:07:03 PM »

Hi guys. I'd like to ask your opinion about customer support. Do you think that a good CS is necessary for all games?

I know there are pros and cons to both sides. Some prefer in-house because of trust and budget issues, while other companies prefer outsourcing because it's time and cost efficient.

Any thoughts on this?
FamousAspect
Level 1

some day you will die

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 11:46:38 PM »

IMO building a long term relationship with players is key to a modern game's success. Some form of customer support is key to keeping your players engaged and happy, and making sure that if you are updating your game you are building the game your players want and not the one you think they want.

I am a huge advocate of having a community manager that is part of the game development team. Someone who embodies the voice of your playerbase. On a big team, this may be a dedicated person. On a smaller scale, that probably means every team member taking turns answering emails, hoping in on the forums and reaching out to people. Customer service can and should be a lot more than refunds and fixes for things that go wrong in the game's database.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 02:36:04 AM »

i think it's essential for any *commercial* game, yes. if people pay for a game they expect and deserve support. for freeware games however, support is optional
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 04:02:34 AM by Paul Eres » Logged

yodonome
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 05:58:24 PM »

IMO building a long term relationship with players is key to a modern game's success. Some form of customer support is key to keeping your players engaged and happy

If I get it correctly, it doesn't really matter how the gamedevs do customer support as long as they do a decent job at it. (like maybe solve the problem in the fastest way possible?)

I am a huge advocate of having a community manager that is part of the game development team.

I agree. They are the most knowledgeable when it comes to the game & thus the best people to answer questions. Compared to outsourced teams that need to escalate problems all the time, gamedevs can provide solutions immediately.

for freeware games however, support is optional

Why do you say so? How about free games in the app store/google play?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 06:37:19 PM »

free mobiles games often aren't actually free, but try to trick you into spending money on them. if there's any sort of money transfer at all, even if it's "free to play", support is required. for freeware however, support is optional, because people didn't pay anything for it so why should you be required to serve them? it's a nice thing to do, but not mandatory

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 07:53:21 PM »

Heh, just make a forum and trick your customers into doing customer support.

Of course, having someone do it full time like refunds, shipping, etc is absolutely essential. I don't know anyone who you could outsource it to.
yodonome
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 05:28:19 PM »

Heh, just make a forum and trick your customers into doing customer support.

Lol. That's a clever way of doing support. I think most gamers are already doing that without realizing it.

free mobiles games often aren't actually free, but try to trick you into spending money on them. if there's any sort of money transfer at all, even if it's "free to play", support is required. for freeware however, support is optional, because people didn't pay anything for it so why should you be required to serve them? it's a nice thing to do, but not mandatory

Ah, you mean the freemium games, right? I see your point. Considering that I spend on in-app purchases for those games, I expect to receive support when I need it. But freeware games... I don't think I've played much of those. CS may not be mandatory but I'd at least expect a FAQ just in case I encounter a problem.
Xienen
Level 3

Greater Good Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 04:02:02 AM »

CS may not be mandatory but I'd at least expect a FAQ just in case I encounter a problem.

And what better way to do an FAQ for a freeware game than to throw up a forum and respond to people until the players start responding for you(it always happens eventually).

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 03:24:50 PM »

haha, how the heck are you on tigsource if you don't play many freeware games. this site is a community that covers largely freeware games on the frontpage, and about 90% of the games the community members make are freeware

Hijinkz
Level 0

Ask about the Moon Bananas!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 08:45:42 PM »

Here's what I've experienced when dealing with customer service issues for games I managed communities for-

A lot of people don't expect a human to be at the other end of an email/contact form. Depending on the platform, most problems can be easily solved too. It takes so little effort to delight a player so it makes it easy to build a happy community of players. It all comes down to what kind of reputation do you want to earn? Truthfully, not responding to players isn't going to be the end of the world and it does eat up time into development, so it may not make sense for you. The bar is set pretty low in a lot of cases, so it's entirely a personal call.

To the poster who said starting a forum for players to support each other - that is actually awesome if you have the type of players who naturally love to help.

PR/Social Media for Mobile and Indie Games
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic