Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411543 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58442 Members - Latest Member: vicemask

May 03, 2024, 03:11:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHow keen is your game-sense?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: How keen is your game-sense?  (Read 7576 times)
Thorst
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 07:23:26 AM »

Do games have something like the major scale in music, which feels right to everyone?  It would be nice to know as a developer.

The first games you play definitely shape your experience of later games.  For example, Mario feels awkward to me.  Klik games feel just right.  I feel like I was not raised properly.
Corpus
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 07:27:18 AM »

Yeah, except that teachers notice the moment you pull your cell phone out of your bag and start pressing buttons, so what's the point anyway?

Well, most people keep their phones in their pockets (why keep it in your bag? Every time somebody rang, you'd have to take it off, open it up, dig around, etc...) so it just takes some smooth moves to get it out without the teacher noticing. Then, if you know your way around your phone's keypad, you can text without even looking at the screen...
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 10:45:13 AM »

Yeah, except that teachers notice the moment you pull your cell phone out of your bag and start pressing buttons, so what's the point anyway?

Well, most people keep their phones in their pockets (why keep it in your bag? Every time somebody rang, you'd have to take it off, open it up, dig around, etc...) so it just takes some smooth moves to get it out without the teacher noticing. Then, if you know your way around your phone's keypad, you can text without even looking at the screen...

Yeah ... maybe.  My wife is a high school teacher (and I'm heading in that direction myself) and I've heard a lot of stories.  Sure, sometimes you can be sneaky enough, but to be honest most of the time you think you're going completely unnoticed it's really just that the teacher is trying to decide which is funnier: busting you immediately, or letting you think you're sneaky and then waiting until the opportune moment to bust you in such a way  as to maximize your embarrassment.  Cool

Or, I dunno, at least that's totally what I'm going to do.   :D :D

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 03:16:37 PM »

Do games have something like the major scale in music, which feels right to everyone?

Blue sky backgrounds.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 03:26:35 PM »

Another extra 'sense' I discovered while watching "The Triplets of Belville" was that I could tell the difference between the flat animation and the cel-shaded 3D whereas my dad couldn't.
Great movie. But wow, I didn't know mixing 3d and 2d animation ever actually fooled anyone into thinking that they were the same. Though there is that one short in the Animatrix, with the sprinter, where the dude throws the key and I thought it was 3d but it was just insanely well-ly drawn 2d. But I think that's no fault on my part, just crazy skill of the artist.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 03:40:12 PM »

He's onto something though; most kids who've grown up with CGI seem to have an easier time telling what's fake and what's not. Like, if you showed me a clip from a Hollywood blockbuster, I'd probably be able to tell you what was real most every single time. Unfortunately, this is becoming less so, as technology is reaching stages of awesomeness to the point that we really can't tell the difference between reality and fiction.
Thorst
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 08:35:23 PM »

OK, I find this thread mildly disturbing.  Are we talking about a sense for games in general, or a sense for certain types of games?

I like to think that a game can appeal to almost anyone, but the game-sense described in this thread indicates that gamers are specially attuned to particular platforms or eras.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 07:32:57 AM »

Mainly I was thinking about playing games in general. Being regaled to certain things that people that play more games notice and others that play games less frequently don't notice. Another example would be the fact that I can pretty much start any game and pick it up right away. Did you ever notice that a lot of people have to get "used" to playing a certain game? I am sure most of us here play games in this fashion. I think after playing games for so long a person develops a knack for certain control setups (RTS, Adventure, RPG, FPS etc..) and can pretty much get the hang of a game without reading the manual or going through a tutorial.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Thorst
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2008, 10:27:25 AM »

Could this be a result, though, of game developers reusing the same patterns, not because they make for good games, but because they make for familiar games?

I hesitate to criticize anyones favorite console, but I find SNES games difficult to comprehend.  They are like an obscure, musical sub-genre that you cannot get into unless you make it your lifestyle.

By contrast, games like Myst or The Sims take Mozart's approach.  Their quality comes from near universal aesthetics and emotions.  So, these games are easy to get into, not because of one's intuition from playing lots of games, but because anyone can easily get into them.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2008, 10:26:01 PM »

I could never get into Myst.

Thorst
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2008, 11:54:27 AM »

I could never get into Myst.

Maybe I am just as stuck in 90s PC games as someone else is stuck in SNES games.  That is what bothers me, that games get caught up in their era and their platform.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 11:56:57 AM by Thorst » Logged
Corpus
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2008, 12:17:05 PM »

Sit my mother in front of the Sims and she will have not a clue what to do, despite the numerous visual clues superimposed on the screen right in front of her.
Thorst
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2008, 02:52:29 PM »

I feel I could have been relying on sales figures to indicate how accessible those games are.  That is probably a worse faux pas than not loving the SNES.  But, am I making sense about games belonging to little clubs that shun the uninitiated?
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2008, 03:38:05 PM »

I think my game sense is pretty bad in general. I play a good deal of games (pretty much 100% indie stuff the last few years) and I often get stuck in various platformers or adventure games relatively early on because I miss an obvious clue or a ladder that might be close to the edge of the screen that I just didn't notice.

As far as noticing things being 'off' in games.. sometimes yes, sometimes no. I suppose it would be more likely to happen if I was quite familiar with the game in question, although I can't really think of any examples off hand. I suppose the closest thing I could think of is back in the days where arcade games ruled, I could spot things that were off in home conversions but I think that would be the same for most people since usually the differences are glaringly obvious.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2008, 05:10:20 PM »

I feel I could have been relying on sales figures to indicate how accessible those games are.  That is probably a worse faux pas than not loving the SNES.  But, am I making sense about games belonging to little clubs that shun the uninitiated?

Yeah, I think just about any genre needs some getting used to.  I think Myst is a bad example though because it was really accessible, and a lot of non-gamers played Myst because of that.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2008, 09:10:01 PM »

My game sense is rockin', yo! I'm so fast, my reflexes are so tense, you're PWNed before you even know what happened! Check out this photographic proof:

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2008, 09:34:10 PM »

... I'm only 59 WPM Sad

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2008, 09:37:16 PM »

I'm 56 Sad

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2008, 09:25:35 AM »

79. Undecided Used to be about 95 before I switched to Dvorak and back to QWERTY. Tongue

114 is fucking insane.
Corpus
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2008, 09:49:50 AM »

I type in a really dodgy way: fingers splayed, forefingers rappity-tapping and arms entangled like the threads of a cat's cradle.  I need to learn to touchtype. 76 WPM.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic