Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 10:18:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhall99 Bricks: Wizard Academy goes from F2P to premium
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 99 Bricks: Wizard Academy goes from F2P to premium  (Read 825 times)
Samar
Level 0

Game Director at WeirdBeard Games

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2014, 07:04:24 AM »

Hey TIG,

I would like to let you guys and girls know about the release of a game I've been working on for quite some time. 99 Bricks: Wizard Academy is going to be released world wide on iOS on June 3rd!

99 Bricks: Wizard Academy is a magical physics tower builder. You star as a new student who’s always dreamed of becoming a wizard. Only one thing is missing; your very own wizard tower! Progress through 5 classes and learn magical spells that let you defy gravity and build the highest tower the world has ever seen. But it won’t be easy. Your jealous classmates will do anything to crumble your creation…

Complete each class to unlock extra difficult master missions and compete with your friends through GameCenter in the Tower Tourney.

Together with 5 others at WeirdBeard Games (a small indie studio in Amsterdam) I've been working on a successor to our flash hit 99 Bricks. Development for the mobile version started in 2012 and we had quite a ride with it going from a straight port to a F2P version, to a complete aesthetic redesign, to finally make a premium game out of it.

The game was soft launched in the Netherlands as a F2P game. It got a very high number of downloads and amazing critical acclaim. However, financially the results were disappointing. We concluded F2P didn’t fit our game design and rather than pushing F2P any further, we chose to go premium without any IAP.

This felt like a weight being lifted off our shoulders. It was more about game design again: how to make the game as fun as possible, instead of looking at how to optimize for monetization.

After some radical changes to the structure of the game, to better fit the premium model, we’re finally ready to show it to the world.

Because TIG is full of talented developers I'm very curious to know; does anybody else have any experience with the switch from F2P to premium with their game? Or if you don't have any direct experience with it, what are your thoughts on a switch like this?

I'm interested in your opinions and hope you’re as excited as we are about the release of 99 Bricks: Wizard Academy Smiley

Watch the trailer here.

Click images to enlarge:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic