Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 08:28:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioBrother Android - In Death a Dream of Color
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Brother Android - In Death a Dream of Color  (Read 3775 times)
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 09:06:46 PM »

The remark you mention was not intended to evangelize, proselytize, preach, or even express an unambiguously theistic sentiment (one does not have to believe in God to wrestle with God as a concept, after all). However, it is not your place to say what is or is not necessary to someone else's art. I don't feel that you need to think about my religion when you listen to my music. But those things are important to me, and they are there for the people who might find them stimulating.

Thanks again for all the kind remarks regarding the music, everyone. I'm happy you enjoy it.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 01:28:27 AM »

It'd be cool if we could get back to talking about the music.
rogerlevy
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 05:12:03 AM »

(one does not have to believe in God to wrestle with God as a concept, after all).

Hey I really liked your music but yeah.  I don't wrestle with the concept of a god at all.
FawfulBeans
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 09:58:47 AM »

It's great to hear another album from you. Your work is always very interesting and distinctive.

How do you usually go about making a piece, in terms of it's composition? In my adventures as an aspiring computer pseudo-musician I find I don't really know what sort of phases or direction I should be going with a piece, especially if it's a loop which of course it always is.
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 09:35:17 AM »

With stuff like this it's usually just a matter of creating a basic loop that i like, either through random experimentation or by going for walks and thinking about a given rhythm or melody for a while until i feel like i have enough of a handle on it to sequence it. After that it's basically like jamming with myself in slow motion, adding melodic and rhythmic parts at random and then taking them out again if i don't like them. Much of the music i've done is basically just the same basic chord progression looped for a while and gradually built upon, with shifts in the basic progression whenever i feel i've fully explored an idea. Really my music is almost embarrassingly simple, structurally. My creative process consists mostly of controlled serendipity so it's hard to give much helpful advice. The most important thing, really, is to experiment, and to persist, even when you suspect that what you're working on is total garbage. It's also helpful to listen to the music of people you admire and pay attention to how they structure things and how they develop their musical ideas. In fact, i think you'll learn more from that than from any of my questionable advice.

sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 10:41:15 AM »

Gah! This is what happens when I disappear from the Audio board for a few months. Glad I checked in today!!

So excited to listen to this! Glad to hear some new stuff from you! Beer!

FawfulBeans
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 10:20:09 AM »

With stuff like this it's usually just a matter of creating a basic loop that i like, either through random experimentation or by going for walks and thinking about a given rhythm or melody for a while until i feel like i have enough of a handle on it to sequence it. After that it's basically like jamming with myself in slow motion, adding melodic and rhythmic parts at random and then taking them out again if i don't like them. Much of the music i've done is basically just the same basic chord progression looped for a while and gradually built upon, with shifts in the basic progression whenever i feel i've fully explored an idea. Really my music is almost embarrassingly simple, structurally. My creative process consists mostly of controlled serendipity so it's hard to give much helpful advice. The most important thing, really, is to experiment, and to persist, even when you suspect that what you're working on is total garbage. It's also helpful to listen to the music of people you admire and pay attention to how they structure things and how they develop their musical ideas. In fact, i think you'll learn more from that than from any of my questionable advice.
Thanks, it's interesting and useful getting an idea on how you do it. I find I often change the basic rythm and chord sequence around too much and it ends up sounding like a horrible mess.

I'll continue listening to other people's work and messing around, see if I can get better at and more comfortable with my aproach.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic