Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 13, 2024, 11:53:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCANNON BALLIN'! (UPDATED: 1.0.0.0 )
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: CANNON BALLIN'! (UPDATED: 1.0.0.0 )  (Read 2553 times)
selfishflesh
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2010, 11:38:53 AM »

New Version Update!

Essentially the same, except now with terrain skinning options, wind effects, irritating birds, and a few less bugs! (the birds got 'em).

Challenge the highscore table! Or wipe them clean by erasing the highscore.dat file and start with that o-so-fresh feeling.

Download v1.00

SCREENSHOTS:

--------------------------------------
Updated Link! New Game mode!
Download v0.9.2.0

2 Player NINJA SLAUGHTER MODE!

Both P1 and P2 play as Gunners and try to take out more ninja than one another! Who can pile deadly meat the highest? Who is best at snatching away life from the path of another player's balls? DECIDE NOW!

Killing a ninja gives 10 points. Each shot loses 1 point. Letting a ninja into your base loses 50 points.

First to 250 points wins!

v0.9.2.0 Change
- Added Ninja Log (Escape a hit)
- Added Ninja Slaughter Mode
- Fixed Timer bug with Pause in Cannon Barrage Mode

-------------------------------
Updated Link!
Download v0.9.1.1

Tweaking and bug fixes! Slight game play improvements! Placeholders for future improvements!

-------------------------------
Hey everyone. Been working on a personal project using games maker. Let me know what you think and if you have any game play tweaks, suggestions, or bugs to mention. Thanks.

CANNON BALLIN'!

Primarily a two player game, wherein one controls the cannon turret and the other controls stealthy ninja. As the ninja you want to take over the cannon, and as the Gunner you want to defend your base. Once the cannon is taken over the players switch roles.

NINJA ABILITIES!
Run! Jump! Climb! And use your stealthy ninja rocket boots! Get to the base to kick some ass and take control!

GUNNER ABILITIES!
Big exploding balls to rain down upon ninja! Aim, fire, and fire some more.

SINGLE PLAYER MODE!

NINJA ASSAULT!

Play as a gunner trying to survive a full frontal ninja onslaught. Feel his terror as the ever more vicious horde of ninja come down upon him. Share his exhilaration as he turns deadly ninja into piles of char grilled ground meat!

CANNON BARRAGE!

Storm the Cannon Base! Get as many men into the base as possible within 5 minutes! Dodge the explosive metal storm raining from above! FEEL THE TERROR..!

FEATURES!
- Destructible terrain that reacts to gravity!
- Semi-competent ninja AI!
- Randomly generated landscapes with accessible seed codes!
- 2 Player Ninja power ups! Refill your boost or call in backup!
- CARNAGE!

MORE TO COME! (eventually)
- More-competent AI!
- Further play modes!
- Gunner AI!
- Hi-Score tables!

v0.9.1.1 Changes
- Added Ninja Slaughter Mode to menu (incomplete)
- Added Base Race Mode to menu (incomplete)
- Revamped main menu
- Added crate, boost recharge and superjump options for 2 player modes
- Fixed spawn door blocking bug
- Ninja suicides in Ninja Assault mode no longer add to score
- Completely fixed dirt rounding errors
- Fixed Ninja stuck climbing when boosting

v0.9.0.3 Changes
- Added Joystick support
- Fixed buggy walking animations on slopes
- Fixed "dirt hats" immobilizing Ninjas

v0.9.0.2 Changes
- Ninjas recharge boost slowly when completely depleted
- Ninja AI slightly improved
- Ninja AI unstick when stuck
- Fixed dirt buildup in front of doors
- Improved blood/meat sprays
- Fixed halfways in hill spawn door appearances (i think)

DOWNLOAD LINK:
Here!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 12:09:32 AM by selfishflesh » Logged
selfishflesh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 12:53:33 PM »

Hey, fixed a few things after some (a lot) of play testing.

v0.9.0.4 Changes
- Fixed rounding errors with dirt coordinates, gravity, splitting and congealing
- Darker dirt backdrop
- Gore Stains
- Score multiplier for Ninja Assault levels where cannon is surrounded

Please note that the joystick support in vista is a little buggy. For some reason games made with game maker go a little nuts if the joystick was plugged in before and then removed.... No idea how what when where or why but that is the case nonetheless.

Anyone give it a shot?

Updated version is still the same download link as above.

Here
selfishflesh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 11:14:55 PM »

Updated!
Link

Now with highscore tables, additional game mode! CANNON BARRAGE! Dodge cannon fire and assault the base for highscore!

Oh, and added highscore tables. Local only... so you're pretty much just taking on yourself, and the default scores. If you want to wipe them out just don't include the highscores.dat file and it'll initialize a new one.

Menu is a bit convoluted as I've been adding things bit by bit. I'll be cleaning it up a little in a future release.

Any suggestions for further gameplay modes within the game context? I'm thinking dueling cannons for two players, where they compete to see who can take out more ninja, with penalties for letting ninja in. And race for the base where two ninja race each other to get to the base first and most, with score penalties for deaths, and score comparison at end of time limit to judge a winner.

But those are both 2 player game modes. I'm open to suggestions for any further 1 player modes.

Once I've got all that laid out I'll probably add in some different terrain textures and option toggles for 2 player modes.

I realize I've bumped my thread a couple of times this week, but I've been adding to it and am hoping someone has given this a shot and has some suggestions/ideas/etc.

Well, to anyone who has tried, thanks for playing!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 01:44:37 AM by selfishflesh » Logged
dEnamed
Level 4

Bored was AmnEn.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 02:30:57 AM »

I'm a sucker for terrain deformation and I quite liked this small game. It felt a bit like Worms which isn't a bad thing. The graphics are working and I had to chuckle at the Ninja in the Title Screen.
There are some things I thought while playing, not entirely sure they really fit.

* I'd love for some sort of indication as to who currently controls the Turret in 2 Player Mode after the initial short flash. It's totally me but I sometimes got confused after the initial indication at the start of the round. Perhaps color code it? No big deal though, my own stupidity that's causing this.

* I'd like some more ways to kill or annoy the enemy. Some sort of one way Spike Placement, mines, throwable picket fences or an emp pickup that inverts the Turrets controls for a couple of seconds. The way it is now, I feel like I've seen everything. It's fun and charming but doesn't last particularly long.

* Controls were a bit confusing at first. That was a problem due to the qwertzu/qwertyu issue though. Every game that relies on the y/z keys sooner or later suffers from the keyboard layout problem.

About potential gameplay modes:
Counterattack:
In this mode, the portal becomes destroyable and the only way to end the onslaught is to destroy it. Other than before, the portal however is placed underground (visible) and the pesky ninjas teleport above ground. You on the other hand have to shoot your way through the terrain while keeping the ninjas at bay at the same time.

First!
Even Ninjas get bored. Sometimes they make bets. Stupid bets like "I can reach the fortress first, lulz". As a result you and four more computer controlled buddies are racing for the first place. First to reach the fortress wins. It's perfectly legitimate to blast other Ninjas off course with your rocket boots though. Oh and the fortress of course keeps on firing. 

Obviously of demonic ancestry. In that case, can I get my wings please?
selfishflesh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 02:22:06 PM »

Ahoy! Thanks for being the first to play and comment. I'd award you something if I had something to award, but my thanks will have to do. I know others will be envious but try to handle it graciously.

Actually I was considering either a control goofing pickup or a cannonball-diarrhea pickup.. Where controls are messed or you can't stop excreting balls at low velocity. I'm thinking control messing for single player and premature shooting for single... Or I could have hem in both and reduce the ai accuracy when it's controls are messed. As for additional weapons... I'm not sure since I'd have to change a lot of core game aspects. Maybe temporary shelter or short term invincibility pickups for ninjas as well. Coked up ninjas feel no pain.

I'm liking the "first!" idea, I had a similar two player "race to the base" mode in mind but that could work as well. I'd just make the CPU cannon pretty tough to drag the race mode length out further and score based on remainig time.

I'll see what I can do later about implementing custom controls... Game maker codes cotrols for arrow keys slightly oddly and I'm not sure what to do about it yet. I initially picked the current layout because my keyboard sucks and the z and x keys don't get interrupted nor interfere with other keypresses like some other key combos do. Probably related to copy paste functions.

Once again man, thanks a bunch for playing! I'm glad to see someone enjoying it.
Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 07:28:05 PM »

I too am a sucker for terrain building/degenerating games. Very fun, the controls were a bit hard D:, but, I got used to 'em. I would love to see updates, maybe ninjas with different abilities? Or Cannons with different abilities. :D thanks!
selfishflesh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 01:37:34 AM »

You get 0.5 thanks for coming in second, but still appreciated!

Game is now updated with better stability, removed a bunch of bugs, and at least one exploit.

If I've broken something while fixing things, please let me know.

Download

v0.9.1.1 Changes
- Added Ninja Slaughter Mode to menu (incomplete)
- Added Base Race Mode to menu (incomplete)
- Revamped main menu
- Added crate, boost recharge and superjump options for 2 player modes
- Fixed spawn door blocking bug
- Ninja suicides in Ninja Assault mode no longer add to score
- Completely fixed dirt rounding errors
- Fixed Ninja stuck climbing when boosting
Epitaph64
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 09:28:15 PM »

"I'd love for some sort of indication as to who currently controls the Turret in 2 Player Mode after the initial short flash. It's totally me but I sometimes got confused after the initial indication at the start of the round. Perhaps color code it? No big deal though, my own stupidity that's causing this." - Agree

selfishflesh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 10:31:03 PM »

"I'd love for some sort of indication as to who currently controls the Turret in 2 Player Mode after the initial short flash. It's totally me but I sometimes got confused after the initial indication at the start of the round. Perhaps color code it? No big deal though, my own stupidity that's causing this." - Agree

well, since 2 out of three commentators agree, I guess I should. Ninjas like to paint their bases to make themselves feel more at home!

or wait...  you weren't just calling him stupid were you? because that's just mean.
selfishflesh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 02:15:09 AM »

New Game mode!
Download!

2 Player NINJA SLAUGHTER MODE!

Both P1 and P2 play as Gunners and try to take out more ninja than one another! Who can pile deadly meat the highest? Who is best at snatching away life from the path of another player's balls? DECIDE NOW!

Killing a ninja gives 10 points. Each shot loses 1 point. Letting a ninja into your base loses 50 points.

First to 250 points wins!

v0.9.2.0 Changes
- Added Ninja Log (Escape a hit)
- Added Ninja Slaughter Mode
- Fixed Timer bug with Pause in Cannon Barrage Mode

Slowly putting away at this.

Oh yeah! I added some colour tinging to the bases, not much but a bit. Also made the player indicator labels last longer. Hopefully that helps!

selfishflesh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 10:53:55 AM »

Bump

got my external tilesets working. Now I need to finish the last game mode, add some oolala prettier gfx, and revamp the somewhat cluttered menu with some proper sub menus, then I should be good.

Ultimately I'd like to work in netplay.... But that will be a long while before I try to tool that into my first game maker project.
selfishflesh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 12:07:25 AM »

Last bump and last update for foreseeable future.

Added customizable terrain title sets, wind effects, annoying birds and fewer bugs.

Download link and updated screens at the top.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic