Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411641 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 03:13:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingAlmasy Tactics - Browser Strategy Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Almasy Tactics - Browser Strategy Game  (Read 4349 times)
affinity
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2010, 11:42:28 PM »

Heya! My friend and I just released the beta version of a browser game that we’ve been working on for awhile.  We made this game because we wanted to try to improve on the oh-so-common "log on once a day and do random actions" browser games by putting in some real game mechanics (as opposed to click->quest completed!).  We’re open to any and all suggestions, since the game is still in its relatively early stages and could use lots of feedback!

We're particularly looking to iron any bugs out (since we just launched a big UI change) and make sure all stages of the game are fun to play.  e.g. One of the things that irked some players was that it took too long to reach the first promotion, so we reduced the promotion requirements.  Also, we'd love it if people could think of some innovative strategies and see if some characters need balancing.

What is it?

Almasy Tactics is a new and free browser strategy game with some RPG elements.  Players train and arrange multiple characters into formations and fight others. Characters can be promoted to different classes, potentially giving them the ability to increase the abilities of their neighbors.

Almasy’s battle system is similar to turn-based RPG games like Atlantica Online or some of the Final Fantasy series.  However, battle is fully automated: instead of forcing players to control every single move, characters will automatically attack the enemy they can deal the most damage to (this can customized to the player’s liking, too!).  

The result is that in terms of graphics and animation, it’s not a fully fledged game [plus some of our art is still being drawn], but it makes up for this with other advantages:
•   Nothing to download or install: You can start playing right away + wherever you want.
•   You can be successful no matter how much time you commit: Casual players that simply want to put together a formation equip them with random items, and throw them against another formation can do decently well; more serious players may enjoy the endless possibilities of formation combinations and optimizing equipment.

Classes and Formations

One of the unique features of Almasy is that each character will bestow his allies with buffs depending on how they are placed.  Some examples:

The Tyrant reduces stats of his nearby allies because he’s selfish. But, he has really good growth so it might be possible to put him on his own off to one side and have a regular army outside his aoe.

There’s also the Swashbuckler, which gives +1 strikes and +4 speed to the people near him for two rounds, so he’s a rush character. You could put some heavy hitters on the front row with him and try ending the game in a few rounds.

And my favorite is the Virtuoso, which has insane stat growth and self buffs but gives himself -70% damage for 10 rounds. But if you can stall for that time using other classes, you can really unleash a ton of damage. If you’ve played Magic, it’s sort of like combo deck.

A picture of the Organize Formation screen, where players select where each character goes.  Character stats are updated as characters are moved around to help players optimize stats.

Since each character levels and promotes individually, we have a large promotion tree to give players plenty of options to choose from.  A full list of the classes in Almasy can be found here: http://almasytactics.com/help/class_list

Which class to choose…
Class Change screen:

Trainee Branch class promotions:

Item System

Since you’ll be managing lots of characters at once, they only have two equipment slots, weapon and armor.  Equipment can be upgraded by either refining the item (classic upgrading which improves the attack or defense of an item) or imbuing (sort of like diablo2 rune words).  Imbuing items is important because it can potentially change the role of characters in your formation.

An example of an imbued item:

Battle System

Like I said before, battle is fully automated.  By default, characters will attack the enemy that they will deal the most raw damage to, but players that want to try specific strategies (such as attacking the opponent with the lowest health) can do so through simple Lua scripts. LUA is relatively easy to understand; those of you that don't want to bother, we have some premade scripts for use.

An example of a battle replay: people can analyze how their characters act in battle and make adjustments to their AI for future battles.  We’re currently in the process of making fancy smancy flash animations to replace this, but this works for now.

Future Steps

Of course, Almasy is still far from finished.  Some features that we hope to implement in the future are:
•   A Friend/Rival system: Lets you know how you match up against someone (more multiplayer interactions
•   Battlegrounds: Although the game is already mostly pvp, we’re planning to implement an even MORE competitive option for players.  Battlegrounds lets players fight each other for bounty (sort of like onepiece… heh).
•   Tactician Traits: This is a big one.  Our old system for Tactician traits was fundamentally flawed, so we’re completely scrapping it for a new one.  The new system allows you to equip your formations with "skills" that affect all your characters, which may change how your formation plays.  Think of it as global buffs for your formation, if you will.
•    Drafting events: We hope to implement some sort of drafting event in the future; sort of like picking players for a pickup basketball game.

If anything seems unclear or downright confusing, just ask away! Any questions/criticisms/comments/flames are appreciated~

http://almasytactics.com/
(Firefox/Chrome recommended)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:00:47 AM by affinity » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 12:51:36 AM »

Please introduce yourself in this thread before asking for some feedback. It's always appreciated to have people presenting themselves before asking for some help.
affinity
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 09:54:36 AM »

Oops, sorry allen. I'll do that right now Smiley
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 07:47:01 PM »

I'm not a big fan of browser-based games, but your game is a lot better than most Well, hello there!.
Created account yesterday. Getting repeatedly smashed at the beginning was pretty discouraging, but now I'm able to kill most fuckers within 100 power above me.

You should point out the screens for formation organizing and how to imbue weapons outside of the getting started guide, since they're important enough that people shouldn't be able to miss them.
The missing portraits really make me sad Sad I think I'd prefer unique mspaint doodles to the same picture for every class without a professionally done one.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
affinity
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 01:11:07 AM »

Thanks for the kind words :D

I'll get right to work on those suggestions ^^; as for the sketches, both our sketcher and colorist are on a hiatus... I'll be searching for one asap!  Smiley
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 10:57:55 AM »

Also, I feel that when all the characters get the same amount of experience you get no real dynamic in the team. Maybe the exp calculation should be on how much the character actually does in battle?
Noo! Concerned You'd cripple support classes.

I've been using "attack weakest" for most of the game, but I've set this up for my physical attackers:
Code:
if target.hp <= me.estimatedDamageToTarget then
    priority = 10000000

elseif target.class == "Cardinal" then priority = 99990
elseif target.class == "Empath" then priority = 99900
elseif target.attackType == "Magical" then priority = 90000 - physicalDefense

else
    priority = me.estimatedDamageToTarget / target.hp
end

My magic fuckers have a similar script, but prioritize 'magicalDefense - physicalDefense' if none of their target classes can be found.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
affinity
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 10:11:06 PM »

Yea, the reputation/matchmaking system REALLY needs work.  We're currently in the process of making a new one (one that also makes picking your opponents a little more involved) because of the many people saying that it needs work..

Also, Inane, nice script~ Here's the one that I use for my Deadeye:
Code:
classes = {} 
classes["Deadeye"] = 10
classes["Cardinal"] = 9
classes["Minstrel"] = 9
classes["Adjudicator"] = 9
classes["Mastersmith"] = 9
classes["Blade Dancer"] = 9
classes["Warlock"] = 8
classes["Conjurer"] = 8
classes["Champion"] = 6

for className, classPriority in pairs(classes) do
    if (className == target.class) then
         priority = classPriority
         break
    end
end

if target.attacksAll == 1 then
    priority = priority + 10000
end

if me.estimatedDamageToTarget >= target.hp then
    priority = priority + 9999 + target.estimatedDamage
end

priority = priority + (me.estimatedDamageToTarget / target.hp)*100
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 05:34:22 AM »

Code:
classes = {} 
for className, classPriority in pairs(classes) do
    if (className == target.class) then
         priority = classPriority
         break
    end
end

I'm wondering, couldn't that whole bit just be
Code:
priority = classes[target.class]
?
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 03:43:21 PM »

Also, wouldn't the "priority = priority + (me.estimatedDamageToTarget / target.hp)*100" at the end kind of negate the whole class prioritization? Tongue

I created a new squad, mostly to get rid of all the default name guys (Matthew attacks Matthew! is kind of confusing, ya know). I've already run in to an issue in that all but one of my folks are going to be 1 range units their whole life, and my build unfortunately relies on getting rid of critical-attack and magic based units as early as possible (since my front-line units will have over 100% physical reduction, if I don't change the plan by level 52).

I think a round-by-roun option for viewing battles would be good. It's hard seeing the bigger picture when your options are single turn or skipping to the end of the battle.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 03:59:13 PM by Inane » Logged

affinity
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 05:05:04 PM »

Hey guys, sorry for the bump Durr...?, but we've just made a huge update to Almasy, fixing some of our biggest problems (tedious refining system, too much money, and matchmaking). If you guys could check it out and give us some feedback, I'd really appreciate it!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic