Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411633 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 04:38:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSupersoldat 7.3
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Supersoldat 7.3  (Read 1983 times)
wilbefast
Level 1

I am the cat who walks by himself.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 23, 2010, 04:51:29 AM »

Okay, this is the last one of these I'll do for some time WTF I just consider that showing you guys my work and saying "hit me, hard" is a good way of getting to know each-other - don't you think?

Supersoldat is my first ever game. You play as Seiben, a shoeless genetically-modified super-soldier run amok in an evil bunker. If you like running really fast as fly-kicking Einsteins with glowing red eyes, this is the game for you  Wink

The game was inspired by "Loderunner" and "Abe's Oddyssey", "Ramstein" and Tae Kwon Do. You'll need Windows to play it (sorry).

<<download (indieDB)>>

<<game page (some info)>>

<<blog post (more info)>>

This is 100% Drag and Drop Gamemaker, written by a 14-year-old with no prior knowledge of programming, logic or algorithms. As such the code could make a grown man cry: I would like to stress that this project is discontinued and that I am aware of the various graphical glitches that sometimes occur. However, to my knowledge there are no bugs that crash the game or get you stuck, they just look a bit ugly  Undecided

As such when it comes to feedback I'd ask that you look past these technical flaws. In other words, any thoughts on the game's design, flow, etc?

PS - Worth noting that the music and various sound effects are shameless stolen from here, there and everywhere - maybe I should find some "kosher" ones (any ideas where to look?)

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 08:43:16 AM »

This is the game by you that I liked most. Maybe this is because you give instructions during the game. The problem is that I'm blocked at the second screen. Embarrassed
However, I'm surprised about the quantity of games you've worked on. Why don't you work harder on the quality of the single games, instead of developing so many games? It's only my curiosity, it's not an advice! Smiley

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 08:52:19 AM »

I forgot... I think you could improve when the player is crouching. Now you've to press 'up' to return to erect position, but maybe it's better if you return to erect position when you release 'down'.

wilbefast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 10:14:07 AM »

I wouldn't say I've made a *lot* of games - *Cactus* has made a lot of games. I've made just a handful, and none of them are really finished either (except maybe Zombie Run). The reason for this is simply that starting a project is a lot more fun than finishing it, and in the past I haven't been very disciplined  Embarrassed

The second screen is where you learn all the tricky rolling moves if I remember correctly. I would have thought having to keep "down" held down would make things harder rather than easier Huh?
The "cannonball", for instance, would have you holding down two key and timing a third. Be careful what you wish for  Wink

It's funny that you mention liking the explanations, because since that I've been trying to find "better" ways of teaching the player to play the game. By which I mean, *not* teaching them to play the game, but smoothing the difficulty curve in such a way that they teach themselves. It's hit and miss.
Have you played Abomination? If so, which do you think is less frustrating to learn? Hopefully I've made at least a little progress...

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 10:28:56 AM »

Blast from the past. Fun game, but I've never been able to get past the level with the sniper. I killed the dog with acid and went on and all of the sudden I'm caught somehow.

to my knowledge there are no bugs that crash the game or get you stuck

Actually, I got stuck in a wall a couple of times...

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
wilbefast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 11:49:43 AM »

Blast from the past. Fun game, but I've never been able to get past the level with the sniper. I killed the dog with acid and went on and all of the sudden I'm caught somehow.
If you want a hint, the best way to complete that level is NOT the way I did in the trailer. Unless you're totally 1337. I'd recommend using the sneaky approach, otherwise: the choice is your's Gentleman

Crazy You are officially totally 1337 - how did you do it!?

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 02:37:23 PM »

If you want a hint, the best way to complete that level is NOT the way I did in the trailer. Unless you're totally 1337. I'd recommend using the sneaky approach, otherwise: the choice is your's Gentleman

I'm guessing I still have to sneak even though there are no enemies that can see me?

Crazy You are officially totally 1337 - how did you do it!?

One time I jumped into a corner and was stuck in the wall laying down, and the other time I normally (as far as I know) ran into a wall and got stuck standing inside it.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 01:31:08 AM »

Have you played Abomination? If so, which do you think is less frustrating to learn? Hopefully I've made at least a little progress...

Yes, I've played it. I prefer the approach of Supersoldat, but my opinion obviously isn't representative. I think the two approaches aren't mutually exclusive: you can have an initial phase where you introduce players with direct hints, like Supersoldat, and then another phase where the player teach himself. So, you can get the best of the two approaches.

wilbefast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 02:05:18 AM »

Yes, I've played it. I prefer the approach of Supersoldat, but my opinion obviously isn't representative. I think the two approaches aren't mutually exclusive: you can have an initial phase where you introduce players with direct hints, like Supersoldat, and then another phase where the player teach himself. So, you can get the best of the two approaches.
Hmmm... I generally consider "World of Goo" to be the pinnacle of "letting players teach themselves", but even that had hints, and the first level at least told you the controls. I think the best thing about WOG is that the controls were so simple, but the gameplay scaled up to something very intricate and challenging. "Wik and the Fable of Souls" is another good example of this (simple controls I mean - it did give a lot of direction too).
You're probably right: simple-ish controls plus some direction at the beginning, then let the player figure the more complicated stuff out themselves.

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 02:17:01 AM »

I agree. It's a complicated compromise. You haven't to treat players like stupid people, and if you let them to understand themselves the mechanisms it's also more gratifying from the player's point of view. But there's also the issue of losing the player, if he didn't understand the mechanisms. Personally, I prefer to be a bit more detailed and avoid the risk of losing a player. At the end, it really depends on the single games, it's a case-by-case issue. However, thank you for this discussion, your point of view is different from mine, and I'm learning something from this. Smiley

wilbefast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 01:28:13 AM »

Cheers - good to be able to talk about this stuff without being off-topic  Wink

It *is* a compromise, but I think in some circumstances you can get the best of both words. You want to include hints, but they need to be non-intrusive and/or enjoyable to read, rather than divorced from the game-world and school masterly (as they were in Supersoldat). They should also not interrupt gameplay if at all possible: in other words it should be possible to ignore them (NB - ignoring and skipping is not the same thing)! I think "Abe's Oddyssey" is a good example of this:

Tutorial messages don't interrupt gameplay or appear disjointed from the world, though some optional guides can be activated if need be (directory)

other hints and directions are, for example, rendered as billboards and fit into the levels

Player "score" and progress appears on notice-boards throughout the world
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 02:40:10 AM by wilbefast » Logged

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 01:58:09 AM »

rather than divorced from the game-world and school masterly (as they were in Supersoldat)
Yes, take my words as "something is better than nothing", I prefer ugly hints rather than no hints. Thank you for these examples, I agree, this is the best way to instruct the player!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic