Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411646 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 09:22:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignRoguelike Gimmicks
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Roguelike Gimmicks  (Read 2701 times)
Qbopper
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2011, 12:15:12 PM »

I was starting a roguelike this morning and I was thinking, how can I introduce a fun new concept to the genre that isn't effing randomly generated anything (1. because it's old and 2. I probably couldn't implement it (I probably will have to though))?
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 12:38:07 PM »

I have thought about this topic a lot. Just play a few roguelikes and I am sure ideas will come to you. A lot have the same setting, same monsters, and same mechanics and changing just one can usually flip the whole game. so while your standard maybe one guy exploring a dungeon fighting orcs. Maybe you can make a squad based game exploring an abandoned space station that only has one giant monster running around killing your guys.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 04:37:10 PM »

Not sure how "innovative" it is, but I've had a concept for a hell roguelike in the back of my head for a long time. The sins, based on the seven deadly sins of Christianity, that your character committed in life would be your character class, with the twist that the classes would only have negative traits (sloth would make you painfully slow, wrath would make you uncontrollably attack enemies etc.).

Actually, the whole game would be based around punishing the player at every turn. Every item you'd find would have some kind of extreme adverse effect in addition to a small positive effect, for instance.
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 06:36:57 PM »

I've always thought having some sort of alternate universe would be cool. Like a light world/dark world, where each world would have the same terrain and buildings, but have changes like different monsters, items, and so on. You could also get creative with the ways that you could affect the dark world from the light world and vice versa.

Or, maybe a Shadow of the Colossus sort of game where you take down gigantic beasts, limb by limb?

BilbyCoder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 08:43:36 PM »

There are some Roguelikes which do different things with the genre that might be worth checking out.

[url = http://doom.chaosforge.org/]DoomRL[/url] is one that comes easily to mind, but I'm sure that there are others.  I just can't think of them at the moment.

To me, random maps is a fundamental element of a Roguelike, along with high death penalties.  The rest is up for grabs.

Programmer
Binary Sprite
www.binarysprite.net
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 03:32:16 AM »

IMHO, randomness is the most fundamental Roguelike gimmick. Effects of most items (potions, rings, rods, scrolls, etc.) being randomized, along with room/floor layouts being a key factor in the gameplay.

Not to say that derandomizing some things couldn't work with a change of context. For instance, PokeMon Mystery Dungeon has derandomized items; but in the context where a player is expected to keep winning in dungeons instead of losing in them. (Though I think a one-or-the-other approach would be more fun than doing both.)

Another heavily-leaned gimmick is the search button, particularly where traps and secret doors are concerned. There are other potential ways you can play on that as well; by streamlining it or making it more integral.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 05:21:23 AM »

If you're looking for roguelikes that do things "differently" you should check some 7DRL entries. There's a lot of interesting stuff that it would be cool to see expanded into a full-fledged game there.
Qbopper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 01:59:54 PM »

Thanks for all the replies! I'll be sure to check that out, Sinclair. My only problem is that developing randomized maps could be tricky in GM lite without coding. I hate GML very much...
tergem
Level 1

It's a pony!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 03:15:22 PM »

Thanks for all the replies! I'll be sure to check that out, Sinclair. My only problem is that developing randomized maps could be tricky in GM lite without coding. I hate GML very much...

Save up and buy the complete edition. It supposedly is worth it, from what I hear Undecided.

Coding randomized rougelike maps is pretty easy compared to other types of randomized maps, the easiest way is to create rooms of random height and random width, then connect them using a path-finding code (like a*).

My favorite part of rouge-likes is a either a great setting, or some great depth (Dwarf-Fortress is the extreme example).

Have fun!

Games made so far (completed):Spike teh dodge, Unnamed puzzle game, Galaga clone, Generic Top-Down Shooter, overly simplistic business simulator In dev: Platformer!
dangerousday
Level 1

iacedrom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 07:40:11 PM »

How about a 2-player cooperative roguelike? Haven't seen one of those since Toejam & Earl, though I admit I haven't been looking very hard.
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 03:12:12 PM »

You could do a roguelike RTS.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 03:09:42 AM »

What Derek does in Spelunky (made in GM as well) is put a grid of markers in a level that's surrounded with an indestructible perimiter. Then he uses a randomizer to command each marker to create a series of tiles and objects relative to it's position. Not exactly Rogue, but the results are pretty stellar. I'm going for a similar approach in some of my projects.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 03:40:33 AM »

AFAIK, Spelunky generates its levels out of predefined "building blocks" that get randomly stuck together according to certain rules. Diablo uses a similar system.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 01:50:11 AM »

If you're looking for roguelikes that do things "differently" you should check some 7DRL entries. There's a lot of interesting stuff that it would be cool to see expanded into a full-fledged game there.
this, a thousand times. There are quite a few 7drls that have rad ideas which, if fleshed out and polished and mashed into one game, that one game would be my favorite game ever.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic