Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 06:20:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignMaking a good Jump.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Making a good Jump.  (Read 3592 times)
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 04:00:38 AM »

From a designer's perspective, I think it's more important to consider major adjustments to the jump mechanic, rather than focusing on minor adjustments to height, speed, landing style, etc. Double-jumps, Samus' midair-hover, wall-jumps, and the like, all add a lot more value and interest to the overall design, rather than tweaking a standard jump to make it "perfect".

Sure, tweaking is important, but that can be done by getting feedback from players, and adjusting gradually. If you want to make a game with awesome jumps, focus on a big change to the jumping that makes it completely different and offers new ways to play.

Double-jumping, for example, is awesome - it offers a whole load of possibilities for how you play. It also allows you a second chance if you mess up, making it less demanding on the player, and allowing the designer to focus on more interesting challenges.

When it comes to these kinds of design decisions, I say it's best to think of big changes, rather than detailed tweaks. Just my two cents, and the way I like to design, so feel free to disagree Smiley

AndyKorth
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 12:10:55 PM »

Double-jumping, for example, is awesome - it offers a whole load of possibilities for how you play. It also allows you a second chance if you mess up, making it less demanding on the player

Yeah, we've done a few kids games, and we've found that either a gliding mechanic or a double jump goes a really long way in helping young kids handle a platforming game. It's much more forgiving.

Howling Moon Software- Twilight Golf, Crayon Ball, and Unity3D stuff
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 12:24:41 PM »

if you make the jump move slower than running, you wont get people who just jump cause its fun

Hey.

What's wrong with fun? Huh?

paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 09:56:50 PM »

fun is my favorite.

I went back and played Super Mario Bros recently.  It was a lot less control than I remember.  So much inertia!

Trent
Level 0

Someday I'll make games!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 04:11:43 PM »

On a more technical level:
In some game skip the current frame and calculate the jump as if the button was pressed on the previous frame.

How would you combat this? I currently process multiple physics steps if the frame-rate is running a bit low. I figured it wouldn't be a problem, but since you mentioned it here, I know that someone might notice.  Sad

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic