Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411560 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 01:53:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhen is indie no longer considered indie to you?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: When is indie no longer considered indie to you?  (Read 4501 times)
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 11:29:25 AM »

When turning a profit outweighs creating an experience.

only free games should count as indie to ensure ideological purity
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 06:52:11 PM »

Originally indie just meant that it was developed independently of publisher funding/control (basically nobody dictating game changes outside of the developer them self).  Past few years though seems like the term is really just being used as a replacement for retro instead.

-Fuzzy Spider
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 06:55:37 PM »

It's also used to justify why the game sucks and is bugged.

Our game sucks? that's normal we're indie , don't compare us to AAA

(it's a tendancy you see when a dev highlights his game with PIXEL/HD RETRO or INDIE  )
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 09:24:09 PM »

Except the term "free" also lost meaning... Does a game with IAP count? With ads? One where the developer slapped a "donate" button somewhere? What if the developer has a Patreon account? (not gonna include "second job" here because I think everybody agrees on that one not counting =P)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2016, 02:44:24 AM »

when i dislike the person making it or consider that they have too much money
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2016, 02:50:43 AM »

You might say this game feels a bit like the indie game “Braid,” to which I might begin to retort but then simply stop, only to ask “Indie?”, pointing you towards Braid’s $180,000 budget, and then towards a small door. A green “Exit” sign overhead — flickering on and off – beckoning you to enter. You open the door and step through. You are greeted by Mario and Sonic on the other side.
chances_r
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2016, 03:00:56 AM »

That's not enough.  Indie developers must also live in their parent's basement.  And spend hours in game forums arguing about the true meaning of "roguelike".
2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2016, 03:15:50 AM »

That's not enough.  Indie developers must also live in their parent's basement.  And spend hours in game forums arguing about the true meaning of "roguelike".
..and 'indie'.

JWK5
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2016, 06:14:59 AM »

I get the playful jab but actually I wasn't trying to insinuate trying to make a profit was a bad thing, just that peddling broken half-assed games hoping for a cash cow isn't exactly what I'd call "creative integrity", which I guess is how I'd define "indie".
Canned Turkey
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2016, 09:24:56 AM »

Pls bui my game I need moni plees
https://maksgams2012.itch.io/walruses
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2016, 11:33:34 AM »

Your suggested price for "Walruses with military issued flamethrowers" is 59.95$.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2016, 02:00:00 PM »

pigscene was right about everything
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2016, 04:42:57 PM »

I get the playful jab but actually I wasn't trying to insinuate trying to make a profit was a bad thing, just that peddling broken half-assed games hoping for a cash cow isn't exactly what I'd call "creative integrity", which I guess is how I'd define "indie".

I think it's flawed to try to define "indie" by loading it with moral qualities like "integrity".
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2016, 04:47:27 PM »

I mean, in this particular case it's fairly easy to define "integrity". If you let money influence design decisions for your game in order to make a skinner box with no real substance, then you have no integrity. If, however, you just make a game that you are happy with and you happen to have made something that people are willing to buy, then you have a great deal of integrity. Of course there are gradients in the middle but those are also fairly easy to define.

Sadly, there's no real way to measure this in the real world, so we sometimes just have to hope that the developer of our favorite games are not total douches that happened to have some creative talent.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2016, 05:17:43 PM »

*COUGH*phil fish*COUGH*
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2016, 07:34:15 PM »

Indie to me just means the people making decisions about the game are the people working on it directly, with no outsider with leverage on the dev team imposing decisions on em.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2016, 06:53:24 AM »

I don't think "indie" is much of a meaningful term anymore, with caveats. The major caveat being, indie is definitely an important term to consoles - and that's quite simple to define, as 'indie' being a title that's not sold on a B&M shelf. Even when it includes titles like Child of Light by AAA studio UBI Montreal.

on the PC, the publisher is nearly eradicated - or rather, the publishers are Steam and GOG. All publishers do these days is offer advertising/marketing, and if you follow post-mortems with any regularly, you should be noticing that more times than not, they fucking suck at that. Small wonder there exists a large push to timed and/or console exclusives among the big publisher studios...

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2016, 02:32:31 PM »

on the PC, the publisher is nearly eradicated - or rather, the publishers are Steam and GOG. All publishers do these days is offer advertising/marketing

publishers fund development. that seems like a pretty huge deal to me.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2016, 08:52:05 PM »

Publishing is not distribution.  Distribution is not publishing.
chances_r
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2016, 05:27:18 AM »

Publishing is not distribution.  Distribution is not publishing.

I'm curious how people define these two activities today.  Personally, I view them as somewhat distinct.  But I see the terms used almost interchangeably nowadays.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic