Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 06:44:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralvenuspatrol.com
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Print
Author Topic: venuspatrol.com  (Read 24912 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: September 27, 2012, 11:40:48 AM »

if you enjoy style over substance, then yeah, this will be your thing

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 27, 2012, 11:45:10 AM »

those are really stylish.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 27, 2012, 11:51:57 AM »

Venus Patrol is a new videogame website in search of beautiful things

I guess my problem is that I interpreted that non literally.  I thought it was going to offer some amount of insight.  Instead it's just a tumblr (and I'd rather look at stuff in Abobobo or something).
Ant
« Reply #203 on: September 27, 2012, 12:36:03 PM »

those are really stylish.

I see more style on tigs every day, below being the latest example.

Plus I don't have to pay a subscription to tell the author how awesome he is here.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: September 27, 2012, 12:45:06 PM »

Feels like this whole topic started on a sour note and everyone just follows suit and sings the same sad song to fit in.
Uhuh. Because there's just no way all that distaste could be genuine right?

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
deathtotheweird
« Reply #205 on: September 27, 2012, 12:47:55 PM »

I see great games in the creative section here, interesting and unique games on freeindiegam.es and oujevipo.fr, etc.

also with the benefit of commenting for free (lol) and without ads and unnecessarily large fonts

it's a blog about video game culture, and I really don't understand the audience for that. and the fact that he raised $100k for a website that amounts to little more than your average video game tumblr, is quite perplexing.

and besides, there's not much positive to say about the site. sure it sometimes shows some cool things but at about 5-10 posts a day (or so) maybe only one will be truly interesting. the rest is stuff I've already seen somewhere else or stuff that I possibly can't see anyone else giving a shit about.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: September 27, 2012, 04:33:17 PM »

i think cactus has a good point in that visual-oriented people will probably enjoy the site (although as allen said it'd work just fine as a tumblr of those images instead). i probably didn't enjoy it much because i was trying to read the articles, but if i ignore the articles and just look at the pictures it's actually (as cactus said) a pretty interesting collection of pictures. i guess i'm not all that visually-oriented since i didn't think of appreciating it from that angle before (i'm not a visual artist)

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 27, 2012, 05:01:30 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I too liked a lot of the stuff cactus liked.  It just seems so empty.  I mean, I already follow like 20 tumblrs solely because they are "Hey, this stuff looks really cool." I guess, I figured that with $100k, it might involve, you know, actual writing, journalism, interviews, essays, etc. beyond "Hey, this stuff looks really cool."
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 27, 2012, 05:14:39 PM »

I would like someone to explain where the money actually went. Did it go to buy lots of nice-looking jpegs to post instead of articles, or was that something the writers did on their own?
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: September 27, 2012, 05:28:48 PM »

Feels like this whole topic started on a sour note and everyone just follows suit and sings the same sad song to fit in.

not that, just that cactus is so indie he doesn't even agree with indies

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 27, 2012, 05:33:07 PM »

Creation deserves economic motivation, curation does not. The website is not intrinsically bad, it is just bad in the context of $100,000.

See what I did there, and for free even.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 27, 2012, 06:27:35 PM »

I would like someone to explain where the money actually went. Did it go to buy lots of nice-looking jpegs to post instead of articles, or was that something the writers did on their own?

This ^

Did anyone here fund the Kickstarter a lot? I think that's something the funders should deserve to know. Although I suppose they did all choose to donate the money in the first place so it's not like the creators of Venus Patrol have any obligation to do so.

play hydlide 2
ElVaquero
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: September 27, 2012, 08:09:11 PM »

Points go to the first person who just reposts all of VP's jpegs into a simple & clean Tumblr. Cactus does have a point but it took him posting all that for me to see past the horrendous design/layout.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: September 28, 2012, 06:28:38 AM »

not that, just that cactus is so indie he doesn't even agree with indies
more like, as part of the indie elite now, he chalks up even widespread and well backed up complaints to "people just like to whine"

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
ortoslon
« Reply #214 on: September 28, 2012, 06:33:13 AM »

Venus Patrol is a new videogame website in search of beautiful things

imagine a "music website" that mostly posts album covers or a "movie website" full of posters
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:43:56 AM by ortoslon » Logged
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: September 28, 2012, 06:45:15 AM »

Dibs!

*makes a kickstarter*
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 10:31:25 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: September 28, 2012, 07:12:09 AM »

more like, as part of the indie elite now, [cactus] chalks up even widespread and well backed up complaints to "people just like to whine"

the indie elite are part of a conspiracy and work together; the Yuluminati conglomerate that seeks to undermine real indies everywhere

cactus had nobody to thank when he took the podium at igf but god, obviously he works alone and is true indie and is too indie for the yuluminati secret corporation

its like you don't even read codergames what kind of indie are you??!?

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
st33d
« Reply #217 on: September 28, 2012, 08:34:30 AM »

Eh, it's a bit of a silly design. But they probably paid a web designer for it, so it's impossible to admit it's crap. Emperor's new clothes and all that.

Subscribe to comment; also stupid - the only people who will comment are sycophants.

As for content, it's alright. Not really worth the grief are piling on it in this thread. I mean I don't like Super Hexagon or Swords and Sworcery so I'm not interested in any news about them. But that's just taste really.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: September 28, 2012, 08:38:56 AM »

i actually like the subscribe to comment system and i think it'd do wonders if implemented on the tigsource frontpage

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 28, 2012, 08:55:26 AM »

i think these might be the type of people who think that anyone who's not a sycophant is a troll

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic