Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411560 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 02:46:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[Untitled] Army / Button Masher
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Untitled] Army / Button Masher  (Read 500 times)
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2016, 08:28:46 PM »

Hi TIG!

I had this idea of taking a common mobile mechanic of pressing buttons in a pattern ( Hand Any Key Hand Any Key Hand Any Key) and twisting it into more of a contextual thing. In this game, players will create an army and fight against the enemy by completing patterns. With each successful completion, the enemy loses a unit and vice versa.

The difficulty of patterns are determined mainly by the enemy unit type (number of dots and colours used) as well as any melee penalties assigned to a unit type (ie, an archer has a penalty of 1, thus adding an additional dot). This, of course, is all under the hood and the player simply needs to only focus on button mashing.

Here's a super rough UI example of that in action:

I'm also exploring the idea of making it story based. Nothing too heavy, but just to give some reason why all these guys are duking it out. At a high level, it will be a simple node map that the player traverses with their army and enters encounters from. There will also be special locations for dialogue, shopping and recruiting.

Anyway, that's pretty much what I've got so far. Let me know what you think and if you have any questions/ideas/suggestions. Smiley
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 06:43:32 AM »

I spent the weekend working on a basic skill system. The way it works is as such:

• Player's army can have 3 (?) skills
  • The skills available depend on the Unit Type of the army. In this example, Archers give the Arrow Barrage skill where the default soldiers don't give any.
  • Skills have a required number of successful patterns to activate
  • (Eventually) Skills will have a long pattern that must be completed in order to cast

For this example, the skill will just cast when you tap on the button. Also, the arrows are a little hard to see so that art will need to be updated. Smiley

ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 07:21:43 PM »

I like this style of gameplay. Great idea.  Smiley

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
Michael Klier
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 11:59:10 PM »

Looking at the screens I had to think of the game "North And South" Smiley.

Sound Design, Audio Implementation, Music
Reel Twitter
Working on

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic