Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 12:04:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow to earn £12,000 in one year from game development?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Author Topic: How to earn £12,000 in one year from game development?  (Read 21341 times)
Eponasoft
Level 0

PC Engine Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2012, 09:10:06 AM »

Retro games are all the rage nowadays. Combine the retro look with gameplay that is suited to the casual gamer and you've got a chance.

Eponasoft develops commercial PC Engine games.
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2012, 09:55:36 AM »

I really happy to hear this  Cave Story
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 17, 2012, 01:16:37 AM »

Eh, pixel games don't sell well to people who didn't grow up with them. But most gamers do, and now they have money. And the rest don't mind.

But I prefer non-pixelly games. I don't mind good pixel art, I just don't like chunky ones. But Kairosoft probably makes millions selling pixel art games, so it can work if you like it. Gameplay sells, and whether or not people like your art style, they'll still buy it if it's good.

Do what you love, it gives it soul, and people pay for passion.
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 17, 2012, 05:08:29 AM »

Eh, pixel games don't sell well to people who didn't grow up with them. But most gamers do, and now they have money. And the rest don't mind.

Yeah i totally agree with you!

But I prefer non-pixelly games. I don't mind good pixel art, I just don't like chunky ones. But Kairosoft probably makes millions selling pixel art games, so it can work if you like it. Gameplay sells, and whether or not people like your art style, they'll still buy it if it's good.

Are the Chrono trigger, Terrarigma those good pixel art games that you like most? I mean the graphics level..

Do what you love, it gives it soul, and people pay for passion.

Yeah I want make one very unique rpg game that I've dreamed about for many years and i dont really wanna take much inspiratio from other classic rpg games because I want to offer a new rpg experience..It is easy to say but I want to make it work with hard work!
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2012, 04:02:20 AM »

I really happy to hear this  Cave Story

Heh. Why'd you put Quote there? No offense or anything....  Smiley

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
sigfarter
Level 7

卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2012, 08:51:20 PM »

i work night shifts at a gas station. it is the easiest job in the universe and i bring my entire pc every night and work on games and earn $45000 a year. so i win
CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2012, 02:44:21 PM »

At a gas station?  thats awesome!  I tip my hat to thee.  Gentleman My Word!
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2012, 06:00:01 PM »

Yeah, you're just not going to make money from games unless you're in someone's top 100 list or something. Most people don't buy more than 100 games, they stick to a few they really like. Any extra trickle is just donations for something people don't really play. And getting up there isn't easy. I created $10k worth of boring apps over the past few months, because there's no competition for that kind of stuff.

My ideal was to get some kind of job as a database or network administrator… one of those jobs where you do nothing, and then just make games while you sit there. A lot of employers don't even mind that, because you're honing your programming skills rather than sleeping.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 01, 2012, 04:53:31 AM »

i work night shifts at a gas station. it is the easiest job in the universe and i bring my entire pc every night and work on games and earn $45000 a year. so i win

I'm so depressed now. I make bad life decisions.

CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: November 02, 2012, 08:23:36 AM »

Yeah, you're just not going to make money from games unless you're in someone's top 100 list or something. Most people don't buy more than 100 games, they stick to a few they really like. Any extra trickle is just donations for something people don't really play. And getting up there isn't easy. I created $10k worth of boring apps over the past few months, because there's no competition for that kind of stuff.

My ideal was to get some kind of job as a database or network administrator… one of those jobs where you do nothing, and then just make games while you sit there. A lot of employers don't even mind that, because you're honing your programming skills rather than sleeping.

Yea, but you have to watch out because technically they own everything you make while they are paying you.  I went the other approach, working for a reasonably high paying fun tech startup.  If it doesn't succeed I'll have cash to relax for several months working on games until I find another similar gig.  High pay, high risk, lots of time in between.  The key is to not let money burn a hole in your pocket.  Don't buy that Camaro or BMW just because you can afford it.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic