Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411616 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 09:06:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessInterest in developing a Myst-like adventure game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Interest in developing a Myst-like adventure game?  (Read 726 times)
PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: November 13, 2012, 03:15:07 PM »

I would post this in either the paid or unpaid forum, but I'm actually posting this to see if anyone would be interested in developing such a game, first of all.

I've long been a fan of the Myst games, but unfortunately, it appears the only other game like them readily available for modern systems is Dead Cyborg, which is donationware on the verge of not finishing due to lack of financial interest for the developer of that project.

That being said, I really hope to be able to be involved in such a project. Is anyone else in the process of developing a Myst-like adventure game? If not, would anyone care to assist me in making one?

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 03:59:54 AM »

.....am I really the only one interested in this idea? Sad

Official Website
Bandcamp
hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 07:22:15 AM »

it appears the only other game like them readily available for modern systems is Dead Cyborg

... What are you defining as modern systems here? I admit I haven't been following the adventure scene in the past few years, but there has BEEN an active niche adventure scene for a very long time, largely ignored by the mainstream media.

Anyway, there are multiple communities dedicated exclusively to adventure games of all sorts, Myst-like or not. try justadventure.com or adventuregamers.com for starters
PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 07:28:05 AM »

it appears the only other game like them readily available for modern systems is Dead Cyborg

... What are you defining as modern systems here? I admit I haven't been following the adventure scene in the past few years, but there has BEEN an active niche adventure scene for a very long time, largely ignored by the mainstream media.

Anyway, there are multiple communities dedicated exclusively to adventure games of all sorts, Myst-like or not. try justadventure.com or adventuregamers.com for starters

Well, first of all, thank you for reading this thread.

When I say modern systems, I'm putting an emphasis on modern PC's and Macs; the ones I know of were for the older computers, which, in the case of Macs at least, won't work on the newer ones.

I'll take a look.

EDIT: It appears that justadventure.com, at least, is dedicated to fans of the games, as opposed to the developers, which is what I'm looking for.

Official Website
Bandcamp
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 08:31:41 AM »

It is going to be much harder for you to find a team to work with on a project like that. You're better off just constructing one yourself. With the tools available, it shouldn't be that hard. Myst was a fairly simple game system, with limited interactive elements. Almost any modern game engine could replicate it.
PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 08:40:56 AM »

Thing is, I suck at 2D and 3D art (except where lighting is concerned), so there's absolutely no way I can do such a project on my own. Only question is whether I hire someone to help me out (which I don't have the money to do unless it's a portion of sales) or whether I use nonexclusive assets, which, obviously, is not recommended if it's going to be successful.

Official Website
Bandcamp
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 09:21:56 AM »

Or, you could just go with exaggerated pixel art, which is much easier and cheaper to produce.

Work within your means. If you can't get it looking good, then settle for getting it looking good enough. As long as it stands out enough to get attention it will be adequate.

Also, you need to divorce yourself from the idea of measuring success by sales. In the world of indie/hobby development, monetary gain is a pleasant bonus, not an expectation. If you are making a game for purely mercenary purposes, you're doing it wrong. You might as well go and work for EA and Activision if that's what this means to you.

It's alright if all aspects of an early game aren't super-great. Focus on making the game you want to produce. Then show it off to some people. If you have something promising, you might be able to recruit others to lend a hand in finishing/polishing your project. Few people want to work on an "empty" project with nothing but a vague direction to guide them. But plenty of people might be willing to help bring a promising prototype to completion.

Right now you have nothing, and no one is going to be interested in nothing. Take a little time and produce something. It doesn't have to be the end-all-be-all, it just has to be there.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic