Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 08:22:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessReleasing during Holiday or waiting till January
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Releasing during Holiday or waiting till January  (Read 637 times)
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2012, 09:41:14 AM »

So. I'm thinking about release dates for Anodyne.

My intuition is: It is better to wait to early January because

-I can polish Anodyne more during my winter break
-No competition with crazy holiday season sales

Of course I really want it out by December...but I'm not sure. Idon't think I can think very clearly on this. Anyone have advice?

play hydlide 2
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 09:57:36 AM »

I'd go with your intuition. If you have holidays/break period over christmas to get stuff done in, may as well use it to polish everything to a sparkling shine. Nothing to lose from waiting a while before release.

The only downside really is that 'wanting to have it released' feeling, which can will probably disappear after you've spent the holiday on it and think all that extra work really made it just that bit better and was worth it. Actually releasing something is the toughest part imo, taking your time to make sure you get it right seems like a good idea.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 11:23:43 AM »

I'd go with your intuition. If you have holidays/break period over christmas to get stuff done in, may as well use it to polish everything to a sparkling shine. Nothing to lose from waiting a while before release.

The only downside really is that 'wanting to have it released' feeling, which can will probably disappear after you've spent the holiday on it and think all that extra work really made it just that bit better and was worth it. Actually releasing something is the toughest part imo, taking your time to make sure you get it right seems like a good idea.

Yup. That's what I've decided on doing. I can also get my shit together for the big press push  and release trailer!

play hydlide 2
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 07:13:06 PM »

look at what is going to be released over the next 6 months and try to figure out which games might steal your audience's attention, then release your game when the weather has been dry for a bit.

example: There were no good core games this year, it would have been an excellent time to release a core indie game since the target audience is twiddling their dick all day bored senseless playing stuff like tf2 or diablo.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic