Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 06:37:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallUga the caveman, a haxe platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Uga the caveman, a haxe platformer  (Read 1540 times)
ishlilith
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 26, 2011, 04:01:46 PM »

Hello

This is the first project I have made in haxe so it is more a proof of concept than a fully featured game (and you can see I got bored while making the UI). If there is interest, adding features and levels is really simple.

Still 20 levels of platforming fun, ghost replays of the best times, replays of your deaths and more.

I could post screenshots, but the whole game is smaller than a moderately sized png, so go play it.

Uga the caveman (playable in the browser)

Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 04:40:38 PM »

The game is kinda irritating.  First of all, the opening with the dark black screen and lights bouncing around was confusing since I thought I was supposed to wait or something until I waved the cursor around and found the almost invisible continue button.
The large gaps seem a bit too difficult to jump across. I'm not sure if you're aiming toward a more hardcore demographic, but I don't think I should have to jump at the very last possible pixel of ground to get over the spikes and to the other side.
The physics are also wonky, in the way you keep moving in air if not pushing a direction. It makes it difficult to do jumps like the one up and around the spikes in level 8.
ishlilith
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 04:43:32 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.
About the logo screen, yes, I have heard that complaint, but on the other hand more people have said "Shit game, but great splash screen. 5/5". I quite like it though but I think I'll make the buttons more obvious.

I cant disagree on your other points. In my defence I should say that the long jumps are always at the start of the stage, so it's at most a couple of seconds wait. The jumping is that way because I removed a feature that went well with those kind of physics and didn't think to adjust the slowdown (the code is even there!). It just takes some time to get used to it though.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 12:27:20 AM »

Awesome.  I'd post a picture anyway, many people aren't going to play without seeing it first.  Also, level 20.  Epileptic

hi
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 11:29:17 PM »

Hey fellow haXe user. You're like me, tending towards a ton of external features when the game itself is a bit underdeveloped Smiley I liked the logo(albeit maybe it's too dark) and I played most of the way through. Some crits:

• A lot more work could be put into the control(mechanics-wise) to make the jump arc and movement feel "natural." This game is very Meatboy-esque in its use of straightforward platforming challenges, and in that game there's a lot of weird usage of accelerations to impose more responsive control. Also look into adding a few additional frames of animation for e.g. a post-jump "recovery." When coding controls I've learned that pushing for every extra step of polish usually makes a big difference in player feedback.
  • The game could make more use of its theming, instead of being "generic platformer X." Uga is a caveman, but he isn't clubbing mastodons, building fires, or doing similar caveman-y things. Including those features would have a bigger impact than anything with time trials or scoreboards or similar, and any one of them would be pretty simple to throw together.
  • The levels are very static in feeling. The only things I see animating are Uga and the coin, it would be nice if we had something more(even just blinking lights).
  • The collision is somewhat unfavorable to the player(too easy to touch spikes and die), this goes in tandem with control improvements; giving the player lots of advantages in the fine-grained aspects clarifies the actual challenges and makes them feel more legitimate. It also motivates the design of substantially more difficult and complex levels.

baneofloki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 02:35:08 PM »

• The game could make more use of its theming, instead of being "generic platformer X." Uga is a caveman, but he isn't clubbing mastodons, building fires, or doing similar caveman-y things. Including those features would have a bigger impact than anything with time trials or scoreboards or similar, and any one of them would be pretty simple to throw together.

I tend to agree that it needs more of a caveman feel. But it's a good effort. The game itself is pretty fun in my opinion.

Want to make Android games?
Then check out the free RoboBrain SDK
http://www.robobrainsdk.org
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic