Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 07:58:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallStealth Bastard
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Stealth Bastard  (Read 7110 times)
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« on: November 04, 2011, 09:09:52 AM »

Not my game - but a game by Curve Studios (I did the art on it though).

Stealth Bastard - it's just been released and is FREE for PC (proper free too, not freemium), http://stealthbastard.com/

from the website - "Introducing Stealth Bastard: stealth, with a great big kick up the arse. A fast-paced, frenetic, one-step-away-from-chunky-death melange of sneaking, platforming, hacking and cursing. A whole lot of fun. It's like Metal Gear Solid and Super Meat Boy had a baby out of wedlock. Semi-literally."

It's a stealth platformer, with a snes/Amiga era art style. Also comes with a nifty level editor (you can upload levels for others to play and compete for the best times). I can highly recommend checking it out (and not just because of my soopa art Wink)

EDIT: - better res screenshots below;

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 09:20:43 AM by Dugan » Logged

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 11:52:03 AM »

Looks FUHCKING amazing  Crazy
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 12:48:20 PM »

Ta! - good lighting from the level designers really helps make things look pretty.

Btw - all the levels were made with the built-in editor, so all the stuff in the screenshots and trailer (

) are available for you to create levels with too.

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 03:31:16 PM »

Pretty...

Ok, you've gotten me interested.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 03:45:27 PM »

Watching  Hand Metal Left Blink Blink Hand Metal Right

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 04:51:16 PM »

God DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN. This is proper-good. I'm already top-10ing some levels, what fun!

Love the look - the glow, the grunge, the exposed pixels. Lighting system makes it easy to tell why you just got puréed by that nasty camera, music keeps it interesting. Your art is red-hot, Dugan. The Bastard is cute, too. And the goggles! Very fair.

Also enjoying the patronising Overwatch who projects text to fill you in. Level-projected text, always appreciated.

I love that checkpoint respawns keep your old time - lets me break levels up into easy to manage chunks, rather than having to choreograph an entire routine.

I know it's not your game programming-wise, but I've got some small suggestions for da boss.
  • I think pressing "R" instead of "Space" at the Score-screen should let you retry the entire level straight away. I know all I have to do is reselect the level, which takes like, two seconds, but it's the little things that make a game great.
  • I think pressing "R" IN-LEVEL should bring up a little overlay asking you to press "R" again to "Restart from checkpoint" OR "E" to "Restart Entire level". That'd be well smooth.

Anyway, this is great, all you bastards reading better download it.
 Beer!Hand Joystick
harkme
Level 1

Surprise!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 06:00:05 PM »

I'm a sucker for cool lighting systems. I came for the neat effects but stayed for the amazing and very polished game. The art complements the lighting very well. Congratulations on the game.
WelcomeToAwesomeness
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 11:18:23 PM »

Fun game, really dug the art style. I must say though, a lot of the levels were hit or miss. I found myself using the skip function a lot.
onebitbeyond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 05:02:06 AM »

Cheers for the compliments, guys! Hope you all enjoy it. I'm really happy with how it turned out and the positive response it's been getting around the web.

@Gainsworthy I'm listening! (Possibly a restart from checkpoint button/key?)

@Fission Mailed You're welcome to try and improve on our levels by using the included editor and upload them for everyone else to enjoy. Smiley

Read the Explodemon Saga at http://www.onebitbeyond.com
knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 08:32:45 AM »

This game is amazing. That is all.
nebuch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 08:49:36 AM »

perfect platform game. i have 1.01 version and its so great and funny. leaderborad system is great. play it!
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 04:38:46 PM »

Cheers for the compliments, guys! Hope you all enjoy it. I'm really happy with how it turned out and the positive response it's been getting around the web.

@Gainsworthy I'm listening! (Possibly a restart from checkpoint button/key?)

That'd be hot. I'm just worried about accidentally shooting for the Restart level button (Hence the "R-R" and "R-E" suggestion). But hey, I'm sure you'll work something out. And yeah, restart button at the end would be great.

Also, it's SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. I can't believe this wasn't being sold in the Voxatron Bundle or something. Though, you know, I seriously appreciate the free-ness. I mightn't have found it if it wasn't free, after all! You're of Curve Studios, yeah? I'd buy your games, but I don't have a PS3... Explodemon looks lovely, though.

P.S: I guess you being the designer explains why I see onebitbeyond's score floating up at number one on every level. Very nice times.  Beer!
Ashkin
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »

I love this game so much. It's very polished.
The editor is especially great- although I'm awful at level design so I just like messing around with switches and atmosphere.
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 06:41:12 PM »

Hmm, Norton's telling me the file's infected, anyone else received security warnings?
WelcomeToAwesomeness
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 07:48:27 PM »

Nope.
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 08:46:26 PM »

It looks so beautiful, can't wait to play it tomorrow when I find the time.

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 09:31:13 PM »

Oh it turns out Norton just has a habit of auto-deleting software just because it hasn't been used by many users.

Brilliant.
ink.inc
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 12:38:18 AM »

norton is a disease that must be eradicated from this earth

it is a cancer upon our species

it is a plague sent to punish us for our sins

but enough about that

this game is looking really, really quite polished

im excited to try it out!
Fyren
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 03:30:40 AM »

Like others have said, the art and style are nice.  I only played the first six levels, so I don't really have a lot of comments about the gameplay.  Mainly, waiting for a robot to walk to a button is kind of annoying and also getting crushed by a closing door is annoying.  Less annoying because I guess you get a checkpoint at each button or so, but the first few levels don't seem designed to make the timing tight.  Maybe some buttons should only be pressable by robots but not toggle off when the robots step off.

I also found being asked for a login pretty irritating but I don't think many others would be bothered by it.  I don't really care about high scores at all, so to me, that plus the unskippable scoreboard after levels is just wasting time.

The level select menu is also really slow to respond to input (I have a Q6600, 4 gigs of RAM, and an 8800 GT with recent drivers).  Volume controls other than on/off would also be nice.
onebitbeyond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 05:07:35 AM »

Yep, menu speed problem seems to be the sheer amount of leaderboard data the game is receiving. I'm going to have to sort this today. Have patience.

EDIT: Leaderboard/menu slowness is fixed as of v1.02. Game will ask you to update, without swearing at you.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 09:54:56 AM by onebitbeyond » Logged

Read the Explodemon Saga at http://www.onebitbeyond.com
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic