Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411670 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 12:51:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIGF Thread 2013
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30
Print
Author Topic: IGF Thread 2013  (Read 62182 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2012, 08:05:55 AM »

considering that games have won awards when they were less than 10% done, i don't think you have to worry all that much. that rule sounds like it has no "teeth" in that it'd be impossible to enforce

besides, what about games that are "released" publicly in an unfinished alpha state, like minecraft? how do those work with this rule? do you have to intend to "finish" the game (get to v1.0) within 12 months? or does an extremely early public alpha like minecraft had count as release?

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2012, 08:21:07 AM »

I think if it's open for the public to purchase/play then it would count as released in this context; ie. minecraft was released when it was still in alpha.

I suppose there's nothing to lose (except the entry fee) by submitting in early development; if you don't get nominated you can try again the following year when the game is more complete and as people have already mentioned, it seems good things can come out of simply submitting something (press coverage etc).

Sean Raia
Level 0

Iterate!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2012, 10:09:22 PM »

He is a douchebag and I haven't played his game but everything about it seems bad (hence why it won the IGF), none of this means I can't be entertained.

Tigsource sure does love their Fish-kabobs mhhmm.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:38:24 PM by Sean Raia » Logged

Wanna talk? I'm always looking to meet and network with other indies!
Shoot me an email at
[email protected]

http://seanraia.blog.com/
Falsen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2012, 12:17:33 AM »

We'll probably enter Dark Scavenger again this year. The build we entered last IGF was pretty rough compared to the finished product.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2012, 06:08:52 PM »

just want to point out that my igf fee was paid thanks to the generous tigsource forum member randomshade, so i'll now be entering the IGF with SD again this year

related to SD, i just came across this: http://thescrubdaily.com/2012/08/02/meet-the-worlds-best-pr-person/

(i left a comment there saying that the five years were hardly "wasted", it's just that that one site will be unlikely to cover the game now, and that the game was never rejected by steam, and that most journalists i did send SD to did actually cover it, but the comment seems to be still pending moderation)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 06:35:11 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2012, 06:30:11 PM »

Hahahahahahahahaha
Dragonmaw
« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2012, 12:51:50 PM »

I wonder if I will end up judging SD again.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2012, 02:37:10 PM »

Split the posts about Phubans and Eva.

Keep this shit on-topic please. I would like for ONE YEAR of an IGF thread not degenerating into shit.
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2012, 02:37:25 PM »

A note here:  With the new system, entries are created and edited as an ongoing process (and then you eventually flip a big green "submit" switch).  I'd highly recommend creating an entry if you're just thinking about entering, because you can at least glance at the requirements.  It's pretty basic stuff--description, judge notes, etc--but it's super easy to edit it at any time, and then when you're ready to roll make payment and actually submit the game.

New system backend starts here, if you're curious:  http://submit.igf.com/

I'm the solo developer on the new tech--always happy to hear workflow/etc feedback if anyone has suggestions!

Would you mind elaborating a little on what you were trying to accomplish with the changes in the system?
I'm not clear on what letting anyone put their stuff into the system, but only making it official once they pay, is aimed to facilitate for instance.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 02:45:59 PM by esc » Logged

crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2012, 07:06:09 AM »

I am excited to see the drama that will erupt this year. Either way, I wonder if they'll enter Overgrowth again -- that game really needs some recognition. Apart from that, I don't really care; haven't been following anyone.

Maybe the Qasir devs will enter. That's a good in-dev game worth a few awards.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2012, 10:47:04 AM »

If you don't want drama, don't make an IGF

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2012, 01:49:57 PM »

Would you mind elaborating a little on what you were trying to accomplish with the changes in the system?
I'm not clear on what letting anyone put their stuff into the system, but only making it official once they pay, is aimed to facilitate for instance.

Most of the changes are in the judging side of the backend.

As a developer, though, it's now much easier to change your screenshots/videos/builds/text at any time.  The point of editing an entry before submitting--as opposed to one monolithic form--is that you can start early or paste your entry around to teammates to collaboratively edit.  Some functionality will show up later in the process, like handling questions/issues from judges, but in general I prefer edit-in-place widgets over forms as far as workflow goes.

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2012, 12:39:13 AM »

So, where's the kickstarter for IGF2013? You can't possibly be able to do all that without funding, aye? Mock Anger

Yeah.
jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2012, 08:30:15 AM »

Not sure if we are going to be entering this year. We have bad hotel and our upcoming thing, but I don't know if either of them fit. That said we entered last year just because we had something (anything!) that qualified as a game, and that worked out ok for us. Will have a think.

zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2012, 09:08:38 AM »

So, where's the kickstarter for IGF2013? You can't possibly be able to do all that without funding, aye? Mock Anger

theyre too busy setting up the kickstarter that will be funding the IGF 2013 kickstarter
st33d
« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2012, 10:08:18 AM »

Will they be using indiegogo to fund that?
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2012, 10:21:52 AM »

they should make a bundle of all the IGF entries except the winners.
It would have all the good IGF games

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: September 20, 2012, 11:05:37 AM »

And put it all on Greenlight.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
deathtotheweird
« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2012, 04:22:35 PM »

when is the igf drama gonna start. i'm bored.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2012, 04:27:19 PM »

when is the igf drama gonna start. i'm bored.

ok i'll start it

if you only had $100, which is more valuable to an indie: getting your game on greenlight or entering the IGF? let's say you don't have $200, just $100, and have to pick one or the other

from participating in both, so far, i vote greenlight. even if your game doesn't get on steam it at least gets seen by thousands of people who give you honest feedback in the comments section. that's a lot more than what you get if you enter and then do not become a finalist in the IGF, usually they don't give you any feedback at all, and maybe a few people see your game on the list of 500 games, but very few in comparison to the number of people who will see your game on greenlight

i'm not saying greenlight doesn't have problems (many of which are the same problems the igf has, such as the tendency of judging niche games by non-niche standards, where games get evaluated by people who are not that game's intended audience at all), i'm just saying that it gives the average indie more bang for their buck. plus you only need to pay the fee once instead of every year

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic