Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411673 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 17, 2024, 05:38:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadGame ClubTIGS Game Club
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: TIGS Game Club  (Read 27616 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2012, 11:41:18 AM »

don't shit your pants
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2012, 12:37:36 PM »

I'll add "Free" and "Paid" icons to the board so that people can easily differentiate.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2012, 12:45:53 PM »

might be too much. see, some of us have these things called "jobs" where we do this thing called "work" or go to "school" where we sit on "butts". not everyone has the time. although, maybe the short games would work. the only problem is that those kind of games, the ones you mention, are meant to be replayed in order to master them (at least spelunky is; i don't know about BoI) so it kind of defeats the purpose.

I think the purpose of having more than one game and a more flexible deadline is precisely so that people with jobs can pick something that fits their free time capacity. You don't have to play all games each month.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2012, 12:52:40 PM »

Yeah, the idea is to give you a choice (I don't really want to play through La Mulana again), and to let you not worry about any "deadlines." You just start playing whichever games you want to when the new things are started on the first, and the threads just die when they die, instead of forcing the issue every x weeks.

Plus, one free / one commercial makes it so that everyone can always participate, while we can still do games that ... aren't free. If you only do a paid game one month, that'll definitely exclude some people right off the bat.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:00:42 PM by Blademasterbobo » Logged

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2012, 01:11:17 PM »

As long as the games are introduced at regular intervals. Otherwise, you'll start to lose too much focus, imo. Don't want to make this subforum "Games Lite".

I actually think a little bit of a deadline is good, too.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2012, 01:38:40 PM »

Well, even if there's a deadline, I still think 2 weeks is too short for a lot of these games. Especially for La Mulana. Maybe introduce a new game every two weeks, but keep the deadline at a month? idk.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2012, 01:50:49 PM »

Month for both sounds fine. Smiley
Dragonmaw
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2012, 02:00:10 PM »

I like the idea of two choices at the beginning of each month, and the duration of the games lasting until month's end.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2012, 02:09:09 PM »

As an aside, does anybody else have 3D Dot Game Heroes? It's a Zelda-like in the vein of the first game, probably worth playing if enough people have it
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2012, 02:11:51 PM »

As an aside, does anybody else have 3D Dot Game Heroes? It's a Zelda-like in the vein of the first game, probably worth playing if enough people have it
i have it and it's fun. nice zelda/dragon warrior mashup with cool voxel gfx. not sure if i would want to play it for the game club tho.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2012, 02:49:25 PM »

Well, if we want this to align with Real Months, what would be the second game for April? Sounds like it's a tie between Bloodlines and those weird niche strategy games?

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2012, 03:19:07 PM »

I have dot heroes, but I've 100%'d it and would not play it again.

I still like Umihara Kawase for the next free game.

Most of the paid games mentioned sound neat, and I think I would do any one of them. Luckily I don't mind when games I've already played pop up because it gives me more time to attend to my own unplayed list.

If you did a text adventure, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is available online for free in flash and is relatively substantial. The other text adventures I know are too short to fit the format.

I feel like we should have a certain timeframe after which completed games are locked, maybe after a second month. One month to play, one month to discuss. In this way players will continue to be pushed to the most recent games.
rdein
« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2012, 06:36:48 AM »

my other suggestion: legacy of the wizard (NES)
PaleFox
« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2012, 06:40:39 AM »

The Hitchhiker's Guide text adventure is really not that good; it's pointlessly easy to make the game unwinnable and most of the puzzles are terrible.

Funny, though.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2012, 06:41:14 AM »

I have dot heroes, but I've 100%'d it and would not play it again.

I still like Umihara Kawase for the next free game.
wikipedia says it's a commercial game  Huh?
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2012, 07:21:38 AM »

Emulate, japan only release anyway.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2012, 07:35:48 AM »

doesn't make it a "free game"
rdein
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2012, 07:44:29 AM »

how is the legend of zelda "a free game"
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2012, 07:44:35 AM »

Well, yeah, CA is right. I had intended to use emulation for the super famicon version. This is identical to treating "The Legend of Zelda" as a free game when it's really a commercial title as well.

Legacy of the Wizard is another excellent choice that I've already played through and completed. That one gives me fond memories of playing with my father, though.

Solstice is another choice in the same vein, though that one must be completed in one sitting (without savestates).

Edit: RABBIT beat me to it.
PaleFox
« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2012, 07:47:56 AM »

Legend of Zelda is available as Zelda Classic, though. Noone has to pirate anything to play it.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic