Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 04:33:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEthios: Valiant Plume Saga - A 3d Zelda-Like With a Party of Heroes
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27
Print
Author Topic: Ethios: Valiant Plume Saga - A 3d Zelda-Like With a Party of Heroes  (Read 99473 times)
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 07, 2017, 03:40:53 PM »

Thank'eh, Panzram!

Gimymblert- those look pretty cool, but I'm a bit wary of dropping them into the project; I've had a few instances of added tools messing stuff up.

Does GI work with non-PBR materials?

The latest efforts!

-Gave AI behavior sliders to determine how they'll act in combat. I've got Aggressive<->Defensive, Agile<->Stalwart, and Reckless<->Cautious
-Implemented communication between the player and AI to give the latter awareness of what you're currently doing.
-Added 'eyes' that define how much an AI can see- they won't be able to tell what you're doing if you're out of sight.
-Implemented health and damage for AI, as well as the basis for status effects and getting staggered

-Implemented a limited 'auto-aim' that affects melee attacks on the closest target within a set distance and angle.

-Learned that I hate Lists and think Arrays are way cooler.

And a bunch of art:

Some characters

Our heroes' personal Melkytes (Can you guess who each one belongs to?)

And I had an idea for an aquatic race:
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 07, 2017, 04:55:57 PM »

Should work with  non pbr, but I think it's a defered vs forward issue, I don't remember which one lol, just do a copy of your working folder and test on the copy! That's how I do with suspicious asset.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 11, 2017, 11:17:05 AM »

Fair enough- I'll give it a shot later on.

I've updated the first post with new information- it was really quite out of date, even before the changes:

Key of Ethios is a 3d, party-based Zelda-like. The story involves Ellie, Van, and Gil; Three adventurers of Ethios, a land entwined among the branches of an immense world tree, manifestation of the Wysteria King, lord of Form and Chaos. The celestial bodies of the sun and moon are lenses, only a small part of a massive, world-spanning clockworks- the manifestation of the Archon Lady, master of Space and Order.

This story begins with Ellie receiving her adventuring license- the first step to becoming a fully-fledged Shieldbearer: a guild of heroes that spans the world. This is her ardent wish, spurred on by her adoration of the Guild's creator- The First Hero Adelaide.

To celebrate, Ellie's sister Fiora takes she and her friend Gil to Valhagura, the City of Pillars; a popular tourist spot known for its snowy fields, warm fires, and long history. But Valhagura has been abnormal as of late- bandits prowl the skies, winter has come early and harshly, and there is talk of strange disappearances...
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 12, 2017, 10:00:11 AM »

I'm working on AI patrol code! It's really...

Oh.

Oh dear...
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 12, 2017, 05:11:55 PM »

How did you do it? I implemented a NPC scheduling system not long ago and unity makes it infinitely trivial with navmesh with "setdestination()" which don't even ask you to update the AI routine, it just work (to my disapointment, too easy and too hand holdy for what I expected, but I can live with that until I need more).

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #465 on: October 14, 2017, 10:13:23 AM »

I'm working on AI patrol code! It's really...

Oh.

Oh dear...

It could be added as one of the secret bosses! Ahah  Grin

Games:

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 14, 2017, 01:03:56 PM »

At the moment, it's just a point-cycling system with some stops and turns tied to each patrol point in an array. I'm actually using a Vector3 array so that I can store a Delay Time, a Look Rotation, and a Wait Time for each patrol point the AI visits in a single array.

I do need to get around to working with Navmesh stuff- I haven't even touched it yet.

It could be added as one of the secret bosses!

I'm suddenly picturing a 'Metal Slime' enemy type that runs about in a circle until you approach, then flees into the horizon- catch that thing for some phat loot!

Not much progress the past few days, but I do have a few ideas.

-I want to implement a temporary weapon buff system like the Souls series' Resins and Papers. I'll probably flavor them as Polishes and Oils

-I realized that I have a complete lack of ranged options. Since part of Gil's arsenal is a Grab-and-Throw system, I'll give him throwing weapons that tie into that, as well as his role as Offense.

There will be a couple of options here- you can get physical throwing spears and such which have a limited number of uses (But can be retrieved), as well as the ability to benefit from the aforementioned Oils/Polishes. The other option is a variety of Magstones that can conjure Maga spears. These can't be buffed with the Oils or Polishes, but can be infused with essence in town to give them various attributes. They're also effectively unlimited, being tied to the Magstone's Maga charge.

-Speaking of Maga charge, it'll be like the limited health/stamina system I've mentioned previously. The difference is that the maximum charge a Magstone can hold is only reduced by overuse.

-I want to implement a world-integrated difficulty system that'll be kind of like Bastion's- the world design of this game's area is a combination of Japanese and Scandinavian influences, so perhaps something like Japanese O-Mikuji. Maybe a fortune system where bad luck fortunes are obtained that add various challenging elements.
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #467 on: October 16, 2017, 03:51:11 AM »

At the moment, it's just a point-cycling system with some stops and turns tied to each patrol point in an array. I'm actually using a Vector3 array so that I can store a Delay Time, a Look Rotation, and a Wait Time for each patrol point the AI visits in a single array.

I do need to get around to working with Navmesh stuff- I haven't even touched it yet.

It could be added as one of the secret bosses!

I'm suddenly picturing a 'Metal Slime' enemy type that runs about in a circle until you approach, then flees into the horizon- catch that thing for some phat loot!

For the given inspiration you should call it Ordnas! Ahah  Tongue

Games:

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 16, 2017, 03:47:30 PM »

I dreaded using navmash due to horrible lighting bake interface, but sh*t so easy it's like make game button game.

bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: October 17, 2017, 01:29:46 AM »

The game look really nice Smiley

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 17, 2017, 09:37:35 AM »

Thanks guys!

For the given inspiration you should call it Ordnas! Ahah  Tongue

Damn straight

I faffed about with the NavMesh stuff. It's a pretty cool component, I think, though it'll require some alterations via the main AI script.

I did some awareness stuff, too! (Click for GFY)

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: October 17, 2017, 12:17:11 PM »

The style is looking good! Smiley 

Ethios: Valiant Plume Saga - A 3d Zelda-Like
By 3d, you mean "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" Wink  Maybe not... Grin 

It's interesting to see the thread start date: June 21, 2010.  What is the current progress at?

That looks like a "Ghost Capsule" enemy.  It went through the wall!  Shocked

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 17, 2017, 01:04:11 PM »

Thank'eh!

By 3d, you mean "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" Wink  Maybe not... Grin 

Not too far off, really- it's almost ending up as a more focused version of that experience. Kind of halfway between it and previous games.

It's interesting to see the thread start date: June 21, 2010.  What is the current progress at?

Eh, partially implemented character mechanics and rudimentary AI. The majority of the progress over the past 8 or so years are the skill improvements, the world building getting pretty good, and the base design, I'd say.

That looks like a "Ghost Capsule" enemy.  It went through the wall!
Aye, ghosts- just in time for Halloween!  Waaagh!<OOOooOoooOOoooOooh
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 17, 2017, 02:50:57 PM »

Looks great!

speaking of zelda, have you seen the cedec design presentation?
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56423.msg1356963#msg1356963

Just notice the image are down, that mean a bunch of clever link jumping to see the amazing cleverness they used for the game.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 17, 2017, 03:52:11 PM »

I have, indeed- it's full of fantastic methods, too! I'll be stealing, like, all of them.  Noir
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 17, 2017, 04:28:22 PM »

Good, good, there is still hope you end up better than ff15 Cool

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 19, 2017, 10:59:50 AM »

I've gotten the framework done for THROWING STUFF!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #477 on: October 19, 2017, 11:09:36 AM »

Eh, partially implemented character mechanics and rudimentary AI. The majority of the progress over the past 8 or so years are the skill improvements, the world building getting pretty good, and the base design, I'd say.
Then the next question: When is the expected release date? Wink

That looks like a "Ghost Capsule" enemy.  It went through the wall!
Aye, ghosts- just in time for Halloween!  Waaagh!<OOOooOoooOOoooOooh
[/quote]Perfect! Smiley

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 25, 2017, 10:18:10 AM »

Then the next question: When is the expected release date? Wink

Err... Yes.

Been working on a skybox!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #479 on: October 25, 2017, 10:31:31 AM »

I faffed about with the NavMesh stuff. It's a pretty cool component, I think, though it'll require some alterations via the main AI script.

I did some awareness stuff, too! (Click for GFY)
I've seen a few devs recommending "nav corridors" i.e. instead of a mesh of connected points of travel, you create regions where the characters are allowed to travel.  Also considering dynamic object that may block your path.
That way, issues like going through walls near corners can be avoided since each character considers its own dimensions rather than following a strict path.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic