Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411631 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 04:56:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWebsite main menu nav items - Home, Blog, About - all or one?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Website main menu nav items - Home, Blog, About - all or one?  (Read 923 times)
Strigop Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 29, 2012, 09:04:03 PM »

My business partner Dan and I have been working on the website for our new indie game company and I am a bit stuck on whether we should include Home, Blog, and About pages as separate or combined. I can see the advantages of having all three pages separated, since home could be a welcome page, blog could be blog posts (obviously), and about could be our ugly faces plastered with info about the origin of the company, but I am not sure all three are necessary to have separate. Any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Xienen
Level 3

Greater Good Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 09:13:18 PM »

A person with much more web and marketing experience than I once told me, "Over 90% of people who visit any web page don't bother scrolling down, so if you don't catch their eye at the top of a page, you'll lose most of the visitors".  So, based on that, my suggestion is to make a catchy landing page that will intrigue your target audience first, then decide if it's important to you that visitors read about your company and your blog.  If it is, I'd suggest created separate pages with links that stand out on the main page.  If not, you can throw it all on one page, if you so desire.  I can tell you, though, that in my mind, combining all 3 onto a single page makes a website look unorganized.

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 11:31:19 PM »

A person with much more web and marketing experience than I once told me, "Over 90% of people who visit any web page don't bother scrolling down, so if you don't catch their eye at the top of a page, you'll lose most of the visitors".

http://iampaddy.com/lifebelow600/

My opinion as a web developer - If it's not something they're immediately looking for, put it elsewhere. Most websites are blogs/news, so putting blog on home makes sense if that's your thing. If your page is a sales page (i.e. few repeat visitors), put trailers, etc on home page. If it's a devlog, put the devlog on the front page.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 02:31:21 AM »

That's a great reading, Muz. Thanks for the link.

Yeah.
Strigop Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 07:39:41 PM »

A person with much more web and marketing experience than I once told me, "Over 90% of people who visit any web page don't bother scrolling down, so if you don't catch their eye at the top of a page, you'll lose most of the visitors".  So, based on that, my suggestion is to make a catchy landing page that will intrigue your target audience first, then decide if it's important to you that visitors read about your company and your blog.  If it is, I'd suggest created separate pages with links that stand out on the main page.  If not, you can throw it all on one page, if you so desire.  I can tell you, though, that in my mind, combining all 3 onto a single page makes a website look unorganized.

I went with your advice. I was considering combining all 3 but you are right, I think it would like cluttered. I decided to split them, but I put the about page as a sub menu on the top nav under the Company tab.

http://iampaddy.com/lifebelow600/

My opinion as a web developer - If it's not something they're immediately looking for, put it elsewhere. Most websites are blogs/news, so putting blog on home makes sense if that's your thing. If your page is a sales page (i.e. few repeat visitors), put trailers, etc on home page. If it's a devlog, put the devlog on the front page.

Nice article. I am actually not too familiar with web or graphic design and currently have a friend who is helping me with the site. I had never heard of the above the fold term before.

The site is going to have a devlog but I don't want that to be the main focus of the site as games I create are going to be on the website as well. So going by your advice and Xienen's advice, I will put what I think users are immediately looking for - an intro to the company and maybe the latest news on a featured game. Other than that, the user can get to a specific game or the general blog in the top nav.

Thank you both for your advice and your help, much appreciated!  Beer!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic