Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 11:15:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessLegality / Precedence; allowing audio streaming in game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Legality / Precedence; allowing audio streaming in game  (Read 819 times)
Mctittles
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2012, 07:17:18 AM »

A lot of games that have microphone use or allow users to host their own games have users who stream music over their mic or through mods. 

If my game allowed this through a built in system (i.e. players can play audio files and other players can choose to listen to them), would I be held accountable for what they decide to stream?  Is there any examples of someone trying this in a game before?

Technically there is no difference in the programming for streaming microphone audio instead of streaming a played mp3 audio.  Some people just re-route their mic input to what they are listening to, which is in face the same thing.  The main difference is I would have a file browser within the game that you would choose audio files to play.
DeadPixel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:21:41 AM »

No one here can offer you real legal advice.  If you feel like it would be a potential issue for you and your game you'll need to consult an actual lawyer.

Mctittles
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 07:24:10 AM »

Thanks.  I'm mainly curious if there are any examples of this already in use.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic