Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 13, 2024, 01:48:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessChoosing the right project... (current and next project)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Choosing the right project... (current and next project)  (Read 633 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: October 11, 2012, 12:04:39 PM »

I am currently developing a game called Shoe String Shooter.
I was optimistic about it because in the first two days of it at IndieDB it got 30 watchers or something (OMG!).
But since then I got moderate attention and interest.

SSS is a multiplayer FPS game. This is good because it makes me enjoy playing my own game against other people. On the other hand, playing with other people is crucial for the development of this game, and I usually have to beg people to play my game.

I am not sure that once I release it there will be enough mass of people that will want to play it regularly. And then if there isn't a mass of people, new players will abandon the game because they don't have anyone to play it with.

However, I did develop my framework to support 3D with this game, so it's not a terrible choice.

My thoughts are to finish the first public release in which people will be able to host and join games. I think I won't make a meta server simply because I cannot afford a 24 hours meta server.

If this release won't get an interest, I will just fix bugs and continue low maintainence of the game. And then start a new game.

My thoughts of the next game to do is a smallish mobile 3D game. I think I can do a nice looking 3D game in like 3 months for Android and in the near future port it to iOS as well.
My games always seem to have long development times and very little to no success.

So I am thinking maybe I pick the wrong games to develop.
What do you think of my current game? And what do you think I should do in my next game?

You can take a look at SSS over here:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/shoe-string-shooter

Edit: Hmm, what do you think of adding singleplayer zombie mode to SSS?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 01:25:51 PM by PompiPompi » Logged

Master of all trades.
Bambino2012
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 09:12:34 PM »

Indie games that rely only in multiplayer, usually fail.
I was going to say always fail, but i'm probably wrong here, but there's a reason why there's not much multiplayer indie games Wink
I think you should go with a game genre where you don't have much competition, an FPS is suicide for indies, do you see against who you are competing ?
No way you will get attention of the press, without it you will have a hard time getting players in.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic