Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411631 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 05:03:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessFinding Work as a Composer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Finding Work as a Composer  (Read 646 times)
RoanSong
« on: October 22, 2012, 11:36:23 AM »

Well, any suggestions?

I basically just trawl these forums and the idmforums waiting for a "composer needed" ad, but by the time I've managed to email the poster, someone has already snapped up the position.

Does anyone know any good forums or 'net hangouts where I can look for work?
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 10:57:38 PM »

Musicians seem to be in greater supply than other participants in games.  To make an actual living at it you'd need to make a name for yourself first, perhaps through a non-paying collaboration.

Something I've come to realize as a programmer is that doing contract work for indie games tends to be hard work, difficult to find and pays less (up front) than work outside of games.  I don't know how well that applies to music, which is way harder to make a living at.  Sad

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 12:22:23 AM »

I'm not an expert on this, but as a developer I find looking for a musician expensive (time and effort wise). That's why I like that site www.indiegamemusic.com unlike other strange sites that cater to musicians that one caters to developers (extensive search function based on various criterias). If I were to look for a musician I would look there, not post on any forums.

Again, I'm not exactly an expert on this, it's quite possible other devs do it completely different way and I'm the minority.

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
Chris Polus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 06:49:48 AM »

I think it lies in the nature of the profession.

A game project takes several months, a year or even multiple years depending on the scale and time the devs put into it. If you're efficient, you can make music for a game in one month. Even if it's 3 months, and the game takes 1 year to make, music still needs only 1/4 of the time of the final game. So you move on to the next project while the game's still in development. Also, you mostly only need one composer per game. But sometimes several 2D / 3D artists.

This means that just statistically it would take 4 times less composers than game projects. And several times less game composers than team members on a game. I feel your pain, I'm in the same position.

I think finding work is knowing people. If I develop a game and have a name in the back of my head, I'm going to look for that guy and ask. So it's about building your reputation with smaller projects and leveling up to bigger ones or more high profile ones. Or you are lucky enough joining a project really early where the dev just starts out and is happy having you on board but the game then gets the next Minecraft or Super Meat Boy or Fez... Smiley That doesn't happen too often.

Also, I don't like huge indexes of musicians or people. There are platforms that allow you to sell your music. Or license it for a game. Like AudioJungle The thing is: this platform is only great for the owner of that platform. You give away about 50% of your revenue to the platform, so the platform ALWAYS makes money. But there are thousands of people there. The chance that somebody picks and pays for YOUR music is super small. You end up spending a lot of time uploading music to all those platforms, but the chances are small. The client picks SOMETHING from that catalogue, the platform makes money, you probably don't. I think it's not worth the effort. Platforms play with your hope to sell music but I think in the end it's unlikely you make more than a few bucks total.

In my experience it's really about networking. Being part of a bigger community. Listen to other composer's music, comment, comment on game ideas in the dev forums, get in touch with developers, make them some free tracks that fit their game, go to conventions, PAX, IGF, GDC, meet people, build your reputation.

In the end I think in the indie sector there's not much pay around. Everybody is starting out, nobody has a business and can pay you, the only thing you can do is take a risk and hope the game gets a success and you get some royalty share.

I know people who live from making music but they usually also work for bigger clients, for businesses, creating jingles, or music for TV, commercials etc. They spent years building their reputation, doing a job here, meeting other people who saw their work, shook a hand there and met somebody who does the next commercial and is willing to pay Smiley It's all hard work and it all takes time.

Everything else is lottery. You might be lucky and work on the game that gets the next big hit. But it's not likely Smiley

http://stillalive.games
Drone Swarm, Rescue HQ, Bus Simulator, Son of Nor
Chris Polus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 05:33:55 AM »

This is a double posting from the Audio section. If you like to discuss, I'd suggest only doing this in one place. Please don't double post.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=29184.0

http://stillalive.games
Drone Swarm, Rescue HQ, Bus Simulator, Son of Nor
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic