Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 02:19:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingParticulars
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Particulars  (Read 1390 times)
pdyxs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2010, 08:23:06 PM »

Click here to play.

So this was my first game. It's a few months old, but I only just got onto this forum and I've got some ideas for a sequel, and so I'd love to get a bit of feedback.

The idea of the game (apart from a blend of gameplay and particle physics) was to play with a feel of partial control: while there are responsive controls, other elements are constantly pulling you this way or that, and you have to deal with this loss of control. As my first foray into Flex, it was also a nice simple game I could get done fairly quickly.

So yeah, what do you guys think?

Corporate Cosmologist at Throw the Looking Glass, where we're making Particulars using the SCIENCE! methodology.

http://www.throwthelookingglass.com/
ortoslon
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 09:59:12 PM »

i enjoy the game, most rules become obvious after several minutes of playing but you should explain the scoring system better. while rules are physics, score is math (:
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 10:02:18 PM »

Got 5323 points. I can't say I noticed much of a feel of partial control, since it seems like you play the game by simply staying away from other things (at least, the instructions suggest this - is there more to it?) so you're mostly moving around by yourself.

It took me a while to work out what was happening with the levels and the scoring. I decided it was one point for each explosion, and the score doubles when you go up a level - although looking at your screenshot now, I'm no longer so sure. Anyway, I would suggest making the level progress bar a bit more visible - I didn't notice the red inside it for a while - and doing a noise or a flash or something when the level goes up.

G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 09:06:01 AM »

Not too bad for your first game. Sure beats my 'Hangman' I wrote when I first started making games. What extra features do you have in mind for a sequel?

pdyxs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 01:54:08 AM »

Yeah the scoring system is definitely a problem - while you can use the physics to make particles collide, luck in the early game and then survival is usually the key to a high score. The screenshot is possible coz you can 'continue' a game from the last level you were on, in which case you'll reset the score but start on the higher level.

In terms of partial control, all the particles (including yours) exert forces on each other, so while you have control, you're also always being moved by the sheer presence of other particles.

As far as a sequel goes, the main idea is to allow particles to bond, creating protons and neutrons, and then different atoms. Different atoms and isotopes would have different properties you can use to survive and grow (based on the shapes of the atoms: so Helium, for instance, is going to be a cannon). Not quite sure how to deal with the expanding size, or with levels or scoring for that - if you've got any ideas i'd be open to them.

Thanks for the feedback!

Corporate Cosmologist at Throw the Looking Glass, where we're making Particulars using the SCIENCE! methodology.

http://www.throwthelookingglass.com/
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic