Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 02:05:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignBan bvanevery?
Poll
Question: Should bvanevery be banned?  (Voting closed: October 13, 2010, 11:35:19 PM)
Yes - 92 (57.9%)
No - 67 (42.1%)
Total Voters: 137

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
Print
Author Topic: Ban bvanevery?  (Read 30805 times)
RCIX
« Reply #220 on: October 09, 2010, 01:57:37 AM »

I see Sad

It's too bad, that both sides couldn't come to an agreement. Whatever else you may think about him, he seemed nice enough at least sometimes.
jmp
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 09, 2010, 02:31:41 AM »

So apparently I'm an INTP as well. Why do I not feel the urge to act like Core Xii and Bvanevery?

Because the Myers-Briggs type indicator is pseudo-scientific nonsense that describes you as accurately as your astrological sign.

But ignoring that, a personality type wouldn’t be a scapegoat for acting like a prick anyways.
RCIX
« Reply #222 on: October 09, 2010, 02:42:46 AM »

So apparently I'm an INTP as well. Why do I not feel the urge to act like Core Xii and Bvanevery?

Because the Myers-Briggs type indicator is pseudo-scientific nonsense that describes you as accurately as your astrological sign.

But ignoring that, a personality type wouldn’t be a scapegoat for acting like a prick anyways.
I'd like to point out that calling people that casually is pretty rude too...
TheShard1994
Level 2

Crits appreciated

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 09, 2010, 02:45:44 AM »

It's too bad he left himself, but hey, who wouldn't feel awkward after a topic named "should we ban <name>?"is dedicated to you?

The guy did tend to push his opinion to much, and didn't like to come to an agreement too much. He almost always had a point , and was kinda right about stuff, but he just used the wrong words and made himself sound a bit worse than he actually is.

The guy sent me a personal message, telling me he couldn't take the heat on here anymore, and I kinda feel sorry for him. But hey, what's done is done, I don't think voting has any use anymore..
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 09, 2010, 03:04:02 AM »

Figured as much!
jmp
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 09, 2010, 03:12:09 AM »

I apologize for not being clear enough.  I wasn’t calling anyone a prick.  I don’t think bvanevery is a prick, but if he were, his magical personality type would not somehow make it acceptable.
RCIX
« Reply #226 on: October 09, 2010, 03:16:57 AM »

I apologize for not being clear enough.  I wasn’t calling anyone a prick.  I don’t think bvanevery is a prick, but if he were, his magical personality type would not somehow make it acceptable.
No problem. However, there are disorders that force someone to be overly aggressive or rude, and we can't state without having met the person (and/or seeing his medical records) whether he has any of them. The personality thing [for any rude person] may be an extension of one of theses disorders. That's why i prefer not to assume stuff about people Smiley

Now, obviously if you have concrete knowledge that someone is just rude, then he should be dealt with, but otherwise...
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 09, 2010, 04:47:56 AM »

Can we lock this now?
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 09, 2010, 10:09:52 AM »

he better make that game

more games...
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: October 09, 2010, 10:43:12 AM »

@starsrift

oh of course, absolutely, i didn't mean that having a strong identity is an excuse for bad behavior. i think that's a separate issue in bvanevery. what i meant was that it seems to me like a community of ideas tends to tolerate only a few firebrand ideologues at once, and can't support more than something like a (random guess) 1:10 proportion. so perhaps i was wrong when i said 'the community is strong enough to handle him' earlier on in this thread.

i think the thing is that such people (people who are overly theoretical and spend a lot of time promoting their ideas) need 'followers', and there are only so many followers to go around, particularly when their theories conflict so much.

but also yes, he wasn't even particularly good at convincing people of his ideas, because he expressed them poorly and mocked people who had trouble understanding them.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: October 09, 2010, 11:10:51 AM »

Can we ban Supershigi now?
She was always picking fights with him.
We didn't have our share of blood.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 09, 2010, 01:20:46 PM »

Can we ban Supershigi now?
She was always picking fights with him.
We didn't have our share of blood.
We had NO blood.

Bvan was the type of person who would do it with a rope or something old fashioned and dramatic like that.

I DEMAND Supershigi either gets to work on her wrists, or faces the mob.

I have my salad fork ready and would much prefer the second choice.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: October 09, 2010, 10:16:49 PM »

I'd be really happy if a Youtube-like system for voting up or down posts was implemented (as suggested by Overkill), and those under a certain threshold getting auto-hidden.
No. System like this in forums usually do terribly (see: Forums with 'karma' systems).

But karma systems are a totally different thing. For this, the trick would be not to show the points or otherwise praise the poster if he gets up votes. Perhaps just a 'vote down' feature, no 'vote up'?

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: October 09, 2010, 10:27:07 PM »

what i meant was that it seems to me like a community of ideas tends to tolerate only a few firebrand ideologues at once, and can't support more than something like a (random guess)

Ahhh, ohhh. Well, you're probably right, there!

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: October 10, 2010, 10:14:56 AM »

I miss the drama.

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #235 on: October 10, 2010, 11:23:55 AM »

I don't.
magnum_opus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 10, 2010, 12:45:47 PM »

It's apparently irrelevant now but for the inevitable future drama I recommend http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1327 it is (or was, it's a couple years old) a mod to limit a single user's posts per pay.

It's less extreme than banning but in the case of people like Bvan, where it's the troll/user is already hanging out mostly in a couple threads, a per day limit of say 10, won't stop them from responding (though when they do it'll be giant wall o text) but it gives the rest of the users some breathing room to have the actual discussion.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 11, 2010, 06:14:45 AM »

It's apparently irrelevant now but for the inevitable future drama I recommend http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1327 it is (or was, it's a couple years old) a mod to limit a single user's posts per pay.

It's less extreme than banning but in the case of people like Bvan, where it's the troll/user is already hanging out mostly in a couple threads, a per day limit of say 10, won't stop them from responding (though when they do it'll be giant wall o text) but it gives the rest of the users some breathing room to have the actual discussion.
But how am I supposed to get my post count up with that?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic